The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Messing With Minds by James Biss (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
David Fletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of David Fletcher
This book is great, but don't buy it, because you have to be intelligent, creative and sane to do so.

Not only are the effects strong; the thinking and creative input is wonderful. As a full time performer I put this on my shelf of constant references.

If you are interested in the real work of a worker, then this is a must have. Learn and earn.
You have to give it away to keep it.
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
So what is the difference in the Limited Edition and the regular edition that I already have, and is the new material available without having to buy all the material over again?

Thanks,

Robert Sixx
Enigmo
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Enigmo
I think Mr. Biss visits the Café and he would obviously be the best to answer this question. However, it is my understanding that the Limited Edition is hardcover, contains two additional routines and a performance DVD. The Limited edition has been changed a little bit to make sure that it doesn't "expose" the material of a few performers discussed in the book.

I believe the extra routines can be found on his web page as per the instructions in his book.

Thanks,

J-L
JamesBiss
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
310 Posts

Profile of JamesBiss
Thanks Enigmo (J-L),

That's pretty much correct. The EXTREMELY MENTAL EDITION (a luxury hardcover) contains five additional effects that are pretty terrific. For a while these were posted on my blog this year and were accessable to the orginal purchasers of my orginal book. (You'll find directions Robert at the back of the book on the "To Be Continued" page).

I plan to continue to briefly post new effects I'm writing up since doing MESSING WITH MINDS on the blog for readers to discover and critque. In time, they too may appear in "print" in the new year. ;>) (I'm hoping the friends and fans and foes will continue to offer feedback prior to their being published so that I may avoid stepping on other people's toes and sensitive egos... ;>)

The EXTREMELY MENTAL EDITION (there's only 333 of them and as of last week, and Murphy's has the last of them for distribution in shops for the holiday season - then they're gone) also includes a performance DVD. People have been encouraging me to release this to see some of my favourite pieces in action. This DVD is not shot in front of stooges and studio audiences - it's the real deal!

Hope that helps...

Thanks guys for your interest in my little publishing adventure...

Cheers,

James
James Biss
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
Sorry, but I'm not willing to purchase material a second time to check out some new material. By the way, I have checked out the web site -- when I originally went there, basically nothing was there and when I finally decided to return the material had been removed.

There is nothing wrong with releasing new material, but when you do it this way you're punishing the people who bought your book in the first place by not offering it without repurchasing the original material -- getting my drift? However, it is your material and you have the right to release it any way you want -- but I would think that you would want to reach and resell to the people that you've already gained as customers rather than push them away.

Just my 2 cents!

Robert Sixx
asper
View Profile
Veteran user
364 Posts

Profile of asper
So, I shelled out good money for the book. Now, if I want to support you and buy more material, I have to buy the same thing again?

Forget it. I don't support people with business practices like this. And I refuse to buy anything else from you.
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
Phew, luckily I didn't buy the first editions Smile
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
newguy
View Profile
Elite user
411 Posts

Profile of newguy
James,

Will you make some accomodation for early supporters? I have a Lulu first edition of your book. Long before you started changing credits and adding material.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Good God, Asper, get a grip! Revised editions of books come out in every field. If you want he supplementary material, get the new edition. If not, then don't. There is nothing disreputable about this practice. My shelves are full of books (philosophy, social science, mathematics, biology, astronomy) that were released in several editions, with corrections, changes, additions in the later editions. This is, in my opinion, a good thing.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
JamesBiss
View Profile
Veteran user
Toronto, Canada
310 Posts

Profile of JamesBiss
Asper and Robert et al...

Holy Mother of Pearl, I certainly was expecting such angst! After many requests I decided to release my book in hardcover form to close off of a rather remarkable year for my little book. To make it special, I only had 333 copies printed (big mistake I guess, they're now all distributed to stores and there's none left!). In any case I went with a super premium binding, added a performance DVD so readers could see the impact of some of the work on real audiences (not the usual fake ones on DVDs and TV ;>))) and just for good measure dropped in five bonus effects. I thought these enhancements would make the book more desireable to the folks that sought and bought this particular and more pricey edition.

I certainly wasn't intending any grief for the couple of thousand plus people who have already bought my paperback - such as you guys. Until reading your posts, I didn't think I'd caused any. Besides I've been sharing various unpublished effects backstage on my blog, with my compliments. MUSICAL CHAIRS for example, now being performed by several pros around the globe was up for months! Four of the effects that my readers HAD access to back stage are now selling out in the EXTREMELY MENTAL TOOL KIT, along with the props and four other unpublished, undisclosed items. I'll continue to contribute to the blog and vet with readers. I'll add and take away and yes some of the material may resurface as new products. (I'm overdue to add more writing, I know).

So pick up a copy of the hard cover collector's (EXTREMELY MENTAL) edition if you wish, but don't lose any sleep Robert and Asper if you choose not to. Your paperback version of MESSING WITH MINDS is still quite rich as you know and for those who haven't yet read it, it should be available through the year end. (We've just done the final print run). With the exception of my old friend Brad Henderson, everybody seems to think it's still pretty great as is ;>)

[I was toying with giving this print run a new subtitle of "a **** fine book of mentalism" as Jamy Ian Swiss suggested in HIS (more insightful) review in Genii. The final print run he suggested would warrant this apparently ...]

I will continue to dialogue with ALL of my readers "backstage" on the blog and share what I'm working on. I'd like to think this is an extremely good "business practice" and hope you'll realize this too.

Cheers,

James
James Biss
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3250 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Hi Mr. Biss,

I remember purchasing your book on a whim when it was first released. It was a quick read and my impression was that you were honestly trying to give the reader the very best book possible. On your site, you posted one free bonus effect after another, and that confirmed my impression.

That’s why I was a little surprised when I read all the flak you got. It’s funny. Some well known names are publishing single effects for $25 or more. When you buy the booklets, you find out that they may be somewhat incomplete or otherwise not all they were advertised to be. You, on the other hand, published a great book and clearly did everything in your power to give the buyer much more than his money’s worth. Nevertheless, people complained. You were obviously acting with the best of intentions and even agreed to make changes to address the concerns of the critics. Still, people are complaining.

Feel free to ignore the critics and keep up the good work.

Thanks,

Elliott
KevinKM99
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of KevinKM99
Just curious, what effects from the book are included in the DVD?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1238 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
Asper and Robert......it's crude, unnecessary comments like yours (although you are entitled to them) that unfortunately drive these great, inventive minds of magic and mentalsim to not publish any material or effects at all. Are you really going to lose any sleep if you don't know what the new 5 effects are? If you're dying to know then I suppose you'll have to buy the Limited Edition now won't you? Give some slack fellas.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
I think the limited editions are all sold out
wayno
View Profile
Veteran user
Canada
323 Posts

Profile of wayno
Quote:
On 2005-10-18 12:17, ClouDsss wrote:
I think the limited editions are all sold out

I have been out of town, and was planning to stock this book at The SpookClub, and bring in a copy for myself. I am ripping my hair out finding distributors with copies. Smile
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
http://www.spookclub.com
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
Let me know if you managed to find one. I missed me chance too
sigh
Paul Richards
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of Paul Richards
We still have several copies available...but these are the last of them! You can find them at:

http://www.thecentertear.com/?key=3106&html=full

Hope that helps!

Best,
Paul Richards
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Guys, calm it. It is a great book. You don't complain if Carneycopia is re-released, but do if this is? Whats up with that. No one said you had to buy it, and James, out of the goodness of his heart, offered the effects on his Blog. Name one other magician who has done that when they didn't have to. Its not my book, but I love it, and if you want to rant and rave at it, PM me with your problems and leave the guy alone. I would rahter read your rants at the book to me, rather than James
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
Reread the posts! Nobody has a problem with him re-releasing the book, the problem is that he re-released it with additional routines but offered no other avenue to purchase the additional routines without purchasing the original material again. IMHO, if he wanted to take care of his original customers of the book he probably should have offered a suppliment to the original customers as well.

If you remember when Larry Becker released Stunners Plus, it was the same thing -- except that he offered an alternative to the original customers of Stunners. He didn't try to take advantage of anyone!

Again, it is his material and he do with it as he pleases but I believe that he has alienated a lot of his original customers. These are the customers that supported him originally and therefore made the second release possible.

Once again, it is his material and he can do with it as he pleases and anyone can purchase it or not as they please! I would have probably bought the additional material to check it out, I might have even bought a DVD but I'm not willing to pay him twice for the same material. I'm not even sure at this point that I will ever go back and finish his book -- anyone want to make an offer onit?

Robert Sixx
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Just one question: why should he offer the additional effects for those who have already bought his booklet?????

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Messing With Minds by James Biss (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL