The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Halloween stuff (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

graemesd
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of graemesd
Hi ive had a search for halloweeny stuff but nothing hasreally caught my eye.
in the past I have never changed my show for halloween but I have taken 3 bookings for hallooOOOOoooowwEEEeeeeeEEEen this year, so I need some help please guys

I'm ot the kida person that uses run-ghost-run or anything of that ilk. Nothing wrong with it just not my cuppa tea

any help would be gratefully received

ta
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Check out http://www.MikeBentMagic.com He has some really good items and he also has these in a article in Magic Magazine this month
Dennis Michael
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Richard Hughes makes some Halloween magic, too. 20th Century Ghost silk and Mismade Pumpkin set.

Don't forget that Ickle Pickle makes a foam jack-o-latern production item for the dove pan.

There are many other commercial products, books, and show licenses (Rick Allen, John Kaplan) out there, too.

Have you seen these threads, full of lots of ideas and links?:

Cafe thread titled... Halloween tricks

Cafe thread titled... Halloween

Cafe thread titled... Halloween (a different one... and on this thread, I posted a post with links to several more threads)

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Graem,
Try Peter Marucci's "Bell, Book & Candle" to determine if someone (or the entire crowd) has "witchy" powers. Or use the old "Teletimber" with a spooky statue...a haunted object? Or the Zombie...a UFO egg that floats...YIKES! You could even pull it out of a plasic jackolanter (or a real one) and say..."look what someone put in my bag"..of course, a strange description of that person might set it up well(those big almond shaped eyes).
Harry Houdini and Halloween...now there's lots for that. Do an escape...or an escape that turns ugly and the person that's done away with comes back later as a zombie.
What if you did your party AS Harry Houdini...back from the dead for that night?
The bottom line: you don't have to run out and spend half of what your'e making at a gig, or all of it..on a prop you can only use once a year.

Just some ideas...
Chris
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Another new item, that was just mentioned in an e-mail from KidAbra Conference / KidAbra International...

Quote:
Kid-Abra October 2005 E-mail:

A Two Disc DVD Set: Things Go Magical in the Night - The Live KIDabra Halloween Session

The Project: Gather many of today's top children's performers to share tons of ideas on the holidays that you can use in your own shows.

First up-The Halloween Session, taped live at KIDabra with the hilarious Mike Bent as Master of Ceremonies. Laugh and be inspired by Mikes zany creativeness and don't miss his classic Mummy Dearest.
See Barry Mitchell perform a simple, but terrific routine with Candy Corn,
Tim Sonefelt shares an easy to make pumpkin/ jack-o'-lantern zombie,
Duane Laflin with a killer pumpkin sponge ball routine,
Jim Kleefeld with an excellent Halloween Safety routine with Trevor Lewis's Flashlight Fun.
Dave Risley- The Riz with a plethora of ideas with old Supreme Routines and
David Kaye as first Silly Billy sharing his wand and Halloween routines including a make it yourself Silly String Spider worth the cost of the DVD, then making his first ever video appearance as Dr. Blood along with his very commonsense advice on presenting gross/scary magic for kids.
Plus so much more great stuff-see
Sammy Smith with Critter Knitters,
Ralph the Great with Necklace Quest and a Pumpkin Card Trick you can make up and
Ken Scott with a super routine with lots of kids, entertainment, color you can make up and customize easily for any holiday!
(Another one of those worth the cost of the DVD ideas) And much, much, more!

After the show enjoy quick how and why segments on the Explanation disc- David Kaye discusses tremendous theming ideas practical not only to Halloween, but Christams/Hannukah or any time. I liked the session so much I've been inspired to get to work on a Halloween show for next year, my first in years. Whether it's a quick idea to add into this years show or material to use for years to come- Things Go Magical In the Night is a must have for your working video library. I was there and I couldn't believe how much great stuff I missed and had forgotten, this is good stuff. Expertly shot, edited and packaged by Ryan Risley son of The Riz.

A Two Disc DVD Set: Things Go Magical in the Night - The Live KIDabra Halloween Session with over 2 and a half hours of material is ready to ship next week for only $45.00 postage paid in the US. (Additional postage to other countries)

You can order the DVD set here on the KidAbra website. Apparently, the DVD set may also be available from the performers who participated in the session. So, Ken Scott might have some for sale, or Duane Laflin, Barry Mitchell, Tim Sonefelt, Dave Risley, David Kaye, Sammy Smith, etc.

- Donald

P.S. Commenting on Chris' comment... Great ideas, but one small point. You don't have "to use the props only one time a year." I know of a performer who did about 100 Halloween themed kid shows in the month of October. It was well worth it for him to invest a little something into his shows.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
100 shows for halloween! That's over 3 shows a day for thirty days!
Maybe it would be worth it if you were truthfully working that many shows in October...you could afford that. I have invested over $3000 dollars into my Halloween character show. That was only for half the show. The rest was using what I already had in a different way.
Seems like a lot of the ideas above are "do it yourself". That's saving money, too!
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
John Bundy has a great lecture and notes out on how to change your ordinary props into Halloween and themed props. I have seen this lecture and he has some great ideas that really keep cost low, but help create a customized experience.

For those who get MAGIC mag., John has a cover feature article in the magazine this month. It is a great read about his Spooktacular Illusion show.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Derek Rutt Creations
View Profile
Regular user
thailand
172 Posts

Profile of Derek Rutt Creations
Once again blowing my own trumpet have a look at Ghost house or haunted castle .Ideal for Halloween or any time!!!!Yes and I agree John Bundy has some great ideas.
Derek
Hope this helps. Creation is life
www.derekrutt.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Halloween stuff (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL