The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » calls? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
let me add my 2 cents and stengthen some of yours. "good morning" (or afternoon or evening) yes this is dani the magician, how can i assist?
Get the client talking - ask them what type of party they are interested in, have they seen you before, how did they get my name (recomendation, adverts etc).
try to get them into a friendly conversation about everything from child psychology to chicken soup but keep each topic short, sweet and to the point. It helps to get them to hear your tone of voice and have them understand that you "know what you are doing" when it comes to handling and entertaining children.
I actualy look at the telephone call as half the show. If some one has made an effort in getting your number and phoning you then you have potentialy already made 50% of that sale. The rest is up to you and you only need another 50% - you don't need to struggle with the full 100% because they (potential client) has already assisted you. Now you go and do what you have to do and say to assist them. People like to be assisted!
Price is always at the end of the conversation and you can always compromise if it is say midweek or quiet times. So to round things up - first make the sale and then make the price although stay within close range of a fixed figure because word spreads fast!
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Ken give the example of "a guy here who does it just for fun and not the money gets a call from a parent and he tells them he has the entire Saturday open. The parent gets the impression of this guy must not be too good if he is saying he has nothing booked two weeks out."

Very good point!
When discussing availability, I ALWAYS stall and say I have to check my calendar, even if I know that there is nothing on for that day; it is simply more professional and sounds more professional to the client.
And you want to sound as professional as possible to a strange client. (I am assuming that the clients you know, ALREADY know you are professional in your work!)
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
Taking the unavailability a bit further
I often find that after performing a show I get a mum that enquires about the show ext with me telling me that little Dylan's party is not until next x. how long before should she book. I always try and get them to close the sale that day while it is fresh in their mind. I always say wll I already have a lot of bookings for next year and the year after
(this is not a lie as I have many block booked shows.) Being busy really makes them want you.
Phillip
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
Going through the index, I am finding many good subjects and thought an update might bring another aspect that was not mentioned.

When I get a call, I also try to get as much information as possible before quoting a price. One of the most important ones that was not mentioned at all in this thread is WHERE the show is to be held. With the price of gas going through the roof, my price will differ not only with what package the client is requesting, but also how far away I have to travel to get there.

Lets face it, It would be better to get two shows just a few miles apart and close to home than one show that you have an hours drive to get there. You just have to charge more for the greater distance, if not, your being just plain foolish.

Being this topic's last post was back in 2002, I am curious as to how times have changed one's views or actions.
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
I base my price on a few things:

1. distance - time is money + gas etc
2. b.day party for children or private family affair
3. open air or indoors
4. I never put my price up because I know the client is rich
5. I do offer most functions a choice of 2 packages (one slightly cheaper than the other)
6. weekdays, weekends, mornings, afternoons

I always give the customer the price details when they ask for them, unless this is the first question they ask and then I will say "wouldn't you prefer to hear/know what I do before I tell you how much it is?".
(either way, they will only get the price out of me after I have got the information that I require - out of them!)

I am in a position where I am not afraid to loose a show due to my price and therefore I will only ever give a 5 or 10% discount to single parents (if they ask for a discount) or 2 rebookings for the same family (again, if they ask).
If someone asks for a discount and I do not see the legitimacy, I will go back and offer them the slighlty cheaper package and tell them that is my limit and that is why I have given them the 2 options.

General questions I ask before quoting prices are:
1. is it a boy or girl and how old will they be?
2. has the child (or the parent) seen me perform in the past. (This is very important because if they have seen me, then I know they called me because they WANT me and puts me in a better position to close the deal!)
3. where will the event be held? (at home, indoors, outdoors, miles away etc)
4. how many guests will there be (this doesn't matter to me but the parent doesn't know that)
5. when will the event take place and at what time? (weekends can be more expensive than weekdays and afternoons can be more expensive than mornings)

I am currently working on adding an additional package to my repertoire. I intend offering 3 different packages:

30 minutes
1 hour
1 and a half hours

I also have a pick and mix theme whereby the customer can choose to have just magic, or just puppets or just a teach-in or they can mix a bit of each within the time package they select.

Thanks Eric for bringing the topic up again. I recal this topic back in the very early 2000's and hope my 'way' helps others some way or other in the 2008's.

Dani
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On 2008-02-25 02:11, danryb wrote:
4. I never put my price up because I know the client is rich
Dani

Good for you Dani! Your honesty might just land you a big tip too! As much as I respect Micheal Ammar's work, his tape, "Negotiating Higher Performance Fees" it is not my style. In short, he teaches you how to listen for clues during your phone conversation so you can decide what fee you will quote.

This subject has been covered pretty well. The only thing I would like to add is that I first learned how to deal with customers on the phone by reading The Amateur Magicians Handbook, by Henry Hay, back in 1977. Also, if you can find any of Bob Markwood's books, there is some good advice in there, including a complete phone script.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
I basically have my rates posted in my website already...so when someone visits the site and calls me, then I know that the price is not an issue Smile

For callers who got my number from a different source, maybe from a friend of a friend of a friend, I just ask them to please visit my website so they can see my pictures and my videos...the rates are also posted there.

If the client calls back after visiting my website, then I would know that the price is not an issue Smile Thank God 8 out 10 call back Smile

Also in my site are rates for Corporate events and the discounted rate for kiddie birthday parties...which is actually my standard rate...it only appears its discounted because above the kiddie party rate is my corporate rate which is a
much higher rate.

Check it out at http://www.wanlu.net

Thanks

Wanlu
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
I do not yet have a website but beleive it will be a very good sales tool once I do.

Not sure though if I would promote my prices on my site!
If someone see's your price today (on your site) and holds back until next year. they might call you next year based on the price they saw. However - if you have decided to raise your prices - you will most likely be pursuaded to offer the customer a discount and give them the show at last years rate.

This can end up snow balling and word of mouth goes around very quickly.

Dani
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2008-02-25 09:04, danryb wrote:
Not sure though if I would promote my prices on my site!
If someone see's your price today (on your site) and holds back until next year. they might call you next year based on the price they saw. However - if you have decided to raise your prices - you will most likely be pursuaded to offer the customer a discount and give them the show at last years rate.

Hi Dani -

This same problem, could happen if you simply quote your fees over the phone, and they don't book until next year. Or if you send them a letter* with your rates in it, and they don't book until next year.

So, it is not unique to prices on the web situation.

And, with prices on the web, you can change them, and they have no record of what you "used to" charge, unless they printed out your web page a year ago and kept it.

If people try to debate with you about what you used to charge, you can be polite and firmly stand your ground. (Are these the same people who complain that McDonald's doesn't charge the same price for their Big Mac as last year?) If you lose a booking, so be it. If they wanted to pay the lower price, they should have booked last year. Again, you don't have to be rude (and you shouldn't say these things as I've written them), but just politely stand your ground. Have confidence in your show and it's value.

Just some more food for thought.

*Hot Tip - If you ever quote rates in a letter, put a note on the same page explaining that the price quote is valid if they call and book within the next 60 days (from the date of the letter). After that, they have to call and confirm your current rates.

- Donald

P.S. There are reasons for having your rates online, and reasons for not having your rates online. It depends upon your business model, whether you choose to follow one path or the other.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » calls? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL