The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Six Coins through the Table, repeated Twice; Magical Filtration of 4 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Either the Vernon version or part of the Slydini version using six coins and a ring or an odd coin, repeated once so done twice.

Assume you are using some form of HPC not a Gallo Pitch, doing it the classic way, do you like the HPC using the air drop of the coins, a la Carlyle, or do you like the version where the left hand stays on the table but moves aside? Which looks more natural to you?

Can this be followed effectively by Baker's Magical Filtration of 4 Half Dollars (or some method variation of same)? ("Maybe it happened too fast...here, I'll just use four coins, and I'll make them pass through this solid table top one at a time.")

All I ever hear about is coins across. Does anyone do these tricks any more? Do they fool if done well? (Not counting Gallo's with the surprise ending.)
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Have a good look at the tricks that lead up to the production of the giant coins in the Kaps Chinese Coin routine.

When you are standing and your audience is standing, is more appropriate to do an across type trick, however, if you borrow a book or someone has laptop desk or portfolio... great for coins through table.

Yes you heard it here folks, you can use the stuff people carry like those large note tablets w pockets etc. as working surfaces AND allow the audience to hold the "table" up. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Roger Klause on video and print is the Vernon Routine followed by a four coin one at a time. And the coins through can be very effective if presented well. Look at Slydini's routine for some inspiration on diminishing numbers of coins.

~ Dan
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Personally I don't care for the in air dropping of the coins. It may look good when others do it...but as for myself, I seldom use a close-up pad so the coins tend to bounce and roll alot. As far as what looks natural...do you lay coins on the table...or do you just drop them from 6 inches off the table...this will determine natural. Performing Baker's Magical Filtration of 4 Half Dollars as a follow-up may be a bit too much...this will make 6 times you are putting objects through a table...you better have one heck of a presentation else wise I think you would loose your audience! Other than that, personally I think the classic 6 coins through table is an outstanding trick!

Mike
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
6 coins through the table was Slydinis....the reason he started doing it was he saw vernon do s similar routine, coins through the table and vernon says to tony, come on tony, you can do it! challenged him so Slydini went home and came up with 9 different routines for coins through the table...then later brought it down to 6..this story along with the entire routine is on the new "as I recall" dvd set soon to be released along with the story, Slydini doing the routine and then jim cellini doing the same routine with hios changes and also the explanation with the revolve and imp pass explanations

koz
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Mike: You have a good point about too many reps...I have been guilty of "magician's thinking" where something seems to make sense from a theoretical point of view but WOULD NOT PLAY in the real world, at least if done by me.

Tedb: That is a great story. I am very much looking forward to those DVD's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Six Coins through the Table, repeated Twice; Magical Filtration of 4 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL