We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Favorite Silk Production Item (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
From a set of Kuma Tubes, I produced about twenty 18-inch and 24-inch silks, and two 30-foot-by-six-inch streamers. On the "offbeat" I produced five umbrellas from the cover. Then, I went back to the Tubes, producing a forty-foot-by-twelve-inch tie-dyed P&A streamer, a six-foot, tie-dyed P&A silk, and a bowl of rice. Following this, I produced a 36-inch P&A butterfly silk. My wife then "one-upped" me and produced a matching six-foot P&A butterfly silk.

Here's my favorite part - as we were holding up the butterfly and taking our bows, we yanked it away, and standing there was my (then) five-year-old daughter, holding up a "The End" banner. When the butterfly dropped behind her, it looked like she had wings!

My favorite moment in magic!
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
Thanks for the compliment Geoffrey !

ClintonMagus (sorry , don't know your real name) that sounds like a beautiful production sequence ! The photo I attached in my earlier post shows me working with my son when he was about seven. How I miss those days !

My son was my faithful assistant for several years, but now his interests have pulled him away from magic, so I work alone. I usually have to get an audience member to help me with my silk clothesline productions, and that means running the risk of them dropping their end on the ground (yuck !). Wish there was some way around this, but so far, I haven't figured out any alternatives.

Mark
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Try carrying a whip and daring them to drop the silk on the ground.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
Spellbinder, you are one twisted dude!

Been watching too many Indiana Jones movies ?

:)

I work mostly for preschoolers and young elementary kids, so needless to say, a lot of my stuff gets dropped by my little helpers. This is why I use cheap silks for most of my clothesline productions, rather than a $200 line of Rice or P&A. I save the nice stuff I have for stage shows, like the picture I posted earlier. It is amazing, though, how much abuse those cheap silks can take and still look good. Particularly the ones from Bob and Rick. They are gorgeous, but tough.

Mark
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Mark,

I really like your animals with silk. Would you have uses for a tiger silk?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1860 Posts

Profile of Anatole
My favorite silk production device is the Alumascreen, produced back in the '60's I think by Fabjance Studios, It is an aluminum screen that can be shown as three aluminum panels on one side (the middle panel being red) and three unpainted aluminum panels on the other side. The load chamber was BIG. There were some angle problems, but I mainly used it in venues where the audience was directly in front of me, It works fine for kid shows, and I usually produced two hat coils, three 18" silks, one or two 36" silks, and a 25-foot silk streamer from the device. It was slimmer than Grant's temple screen and worked on a slightly different principle,
----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24120 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2005-12-21 00:08, Jimmy Joza wrote:
Thanks to DoveLite, now I have Line O Silks ---- these are an automatic addition to my list of favorite silk production items. I had been trying to get these for the past two years. Thanks again, Bob!

I'm going to do a couple of shows at my oldest daughter's school next month and I will definitely use these. I am not sure yet how I will use them: right now I'm thinking about using Line O Silks with Duke's Dye Version routine or a modified version of Pavel's News-Silks Knotting. Or maybe I'll use a double-load Lewis cone. Hmmm, or maybe........ Hey, I'm just following Bob's advice: scheme!

Happy holidays, everyone!

Jimmy

Mine are Line Of Silks too.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
I have many that I love, but if I have to pick one favorite it would be my tie-dyed streamer.
Mister Mystery
markofmagic
View Profile
Elite user
464 Posts

Profile of markofmagic
Bob I made a silk gimmick out of two metal silk pulls. I cut the top of of one so I could use the bottom portion of it and then I cut off the very bottom of the second one so I could use the top portion of it, I then joined the two with J B Wield and them sanded it off. This made about a 4" metal silk pull. I can produce a string of flags, eight 6" silks and four 12" silks out of it. It still hides easily in my hand and it seems that you just keep pulling the silks out of no where. The more you pull out the more the audience enjoys it. It is a great production item because it really looks like all that stuff is coming from your hand.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
All good magic is "homemade" first. There is a kid-sized plastic drink bottle that looks like a small barrel and is easily hidden in an adult hand. Cut out the bottom and cover the outside with flesh colored Band-Aids and it will hold about anything you could stuff in a tennis ball.

Diamond cut silks to 18" flag works well from it.

Scheme!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Speaking of home made magic, Qua-Fiki's Sneaky Production Box is 100% home made from foam board and gaffer's tape. It's a brand new idea for a production box, although at first glance you might say it's a Hank Box... except for holding several 36 inch silks and a six foot silk and being able to fold the whole thing flat. If you want more details, it's in The Wizards' Journal #18 on my site.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
It is amazing how much of a silk load can be produced from an empty envelope with a simple slit in it!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Favorite Silk Production Item (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL