The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Gentle Art of Cold Reading by Lee Earle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
I'm amazed that there isn't a full review of this CD here. I've added my voice to a message requesting a review on the reviews forum. However, there has been little response:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=111

By searching here, I've found a few references, and reading between the lines, it seems that this product is suitable for a complete beginner to this field, but my budget is limited, so I'd like a bit more "meat" to convince me to purchase this.

I do have some specific questions related to this product:

Is the material offered in this CD only suitable for one-on-one readings, or could this be used in a group setting on several people?

Is this method suitable for different reading types, such as tarot, palmistry, numerology, or is it specific to one type?

I'd like some clues as to the way this method can be applied, rather than how it works, of course.
T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
I would also like to know about this Cd. I've seen it on ebay a few times...
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
It's an *extremely* basic beginner's look at Cold Reading, based entirely around the classic, non-specific Forer reading that you can find all over the internet. Lee basically tells you how to take those brief few sentences and tweak them around a bit so that you can give different people different readings based on the same general descriptions, so that you can do it in group situations where everyone hears everyone else's reading. It is interesting, but has very limited value in real life readings.

The version I received about a year ago came with a tiny and poorly produced booklet, where the ends of all sentences were chopped off. The CD itself is fairly interesting and entertaining, with some general tips and anecdotes by Lee that help to round out your knowledge. It is basically for magicians who want a little cold reading to tack on to their act. I have respect for Lee, of course, but the implication that this is all you need to do professional readings is completely outrageous and false.

Yes, you could apply it to Tarot, palmistry, numerology or any other oracle by, for instance, looking at the cards, ignoring what they actually say, and just reciting these general statements. The question is, why would you? Even the most rudimentary understanding of any oracle will allow you to do readings that are much deeper and more accurate than the Classic Reading.

Again, it's not bad, and should probably be on your shelf at some point, but I would recommend going to Alexandre's site (below) and downloading "The Fortune Teller" for five bucks. It's a much fairer price for similar material, with superior information on using Forer to generate your own fun, party-style readings. This is all just my opinion, of course.

http://www.eyesandminds.com

Seth
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Thanks for the pointers, Seth. Anyone else with any opinions?

I looked at the limited reviews here of "The Fortune Teller". Sounds interesting. Similar information but much cheaper, of course. Is this also suitable for someone just dipping their toe into this field?
Traveler
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Traveler
Please... Most Cold reading books are only good for one activity "spending your cash".
Get Ian Rowland's "full facts of cold reading". Add some knowledge about Forer readings by reading e.g. the trickshop publication or maybe "fortune teller" (I haven't read it and I won't... I'll stick by what I have now)
Then you'll know anything you need - you'll only lack experience.
Greets,
Badger
View Profile
Elite user
Ireland
401 Posts

Profile of Badger
I found this to be a very good start in cold reading, not only that but they offer good tips in the job market as well.
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Quote:
On 2005-10-09 14:59, Badger wrote:
I found this to be a very good start in cold reading, not only that but they offer good tips in the job market as well.

Badger - could you please clarify whether you're talking about the Earle CD or "The Fortune Teller" by Alexandre?

Thanks.
John S.
View Profile
New user
Bensalem
26 Posts

Profile of John S.
Im not a fan of cold readings becaus Jon Stewart completely ruined it for me. It's pretty much giving people false hope. I wounld'nt like to think my grandmother was floating around in a studio for viewing pleasure. Just my 2 pecos
:stircoffee:
Jim Reynolds
View Profile
Elite user
Special Guest
431 Posts

Profile of Jim Reynolds
Quote:
It's pretty much giving people false hope. I wounld'nt like to think my grandmother was floating around in a studio for viewing pleasure. Just my 2 pecos

Lee Earle's CD has nothing to do with mediums. It's mostly character readings. People like to hear about themselves. No need for the snooty Randi-ite attitude. Personally, I really liked his 'Art of Cold Reading' tape (same as CD without the money making part). If you are new to CR, this is a good investment.

If you are interested in doing Tarot, palmistry, numerology etc. type of readings, don't embarrass yourself by trying to 'wing it' with CR lines. Too many lay people know about CR and will catch on. Learn an actual system. It will be easier and more effective.
Basil
View Profile
Regular user
Green Bay, WI
129 Posts

Profile of Basil
Quote:
On 2005-10-10 10:42, John S. wrote:
Im not a fan of cold readings becaus Jon Stewart completely ruined it for me.Smile

Do you mean John Edward? Jon Stewart hosts the Daily Show on Comedy Central.

Basil
davybabybrazil
View Profile
Regular user
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
169 Posts

Profile of davybabybrazil
Its a basic introduction to cold reading and to forking (positive, negative and neutral). If you are going to do some very basic readings (one on one) where the people you are reading for will never have a chance to compare results of their readings it could be useful. However you would be wise to familiarize yourself with more useful texts. Ian Rowlands book as mentioned is a must read- it is a basically a text book, not a "how to"; books by Herb Dewey and Ron Martin are highly recommended.
It is hard to believe a man is telling you the truth if you know that if you were in his situation you would be lying.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
I thought well enough of this as an introduction to cold reading for beginners that I bought three copies and gave a copy to each of my Gypsy Fortune Tellers. It is the perfect, easy introduction to the art. None of these folks has any experience with mentalism apart from learning to perform Tel-A-Vision with me in a two-person mental effect.

I have quite a few books on cold reading, and many terrific books on mentalism and psychic effects. This is the one that I chose to give to my non-magician coworkers.

I also think that the experienced student may well profit from the business and marketing tips, as well as the pep talks on this CD.

To be perfectly clear, you are not going to impress the guys in your magic club with this stuff, but you will make some money if you apply this.

Yours,

Paul
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Lee Earle's CD is great. If you're interested in this sort of thing, it's a certain purchase for not much money. I have it and have used the information in it for a long time. Great tips.

Thanks for the nice words on my Fortune Teller eBook as well. It also contains subjective validation lines plus some, as well as three "Fortune Telling" scripts and sections like, what to do the fortune telling with; performance tips; how to deal with "serious" questions; and how to write your own fortunes. It's a small eBook but it contains everything you need to get started.
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
At the moment, I'm not particularly after the money-making side of things; I just wanted an entertaining routine to do fairly casually. Alexandre's eBook "The Fortune Teller" seems to fit the bill nicely, and so I've bought that. I've given it a cursory scan, and it looks like it will be quite convincing in that context, but of course, I'll have to properly absorb it, practice it and see how it works on real people.

Hopefully, I'll return with a fuller review at that time.
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Please do so, I'll be looking forward to it. And thanks.
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2039 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Quote:
On 2005-10-10 17:46, Jim Reynolds wrote:
Quote:
It's pretty much giving people false hope. I wounld'nt like to think my grandmother was floating around in a studio for viewing pleasure. Just my 2 pecos

Lee Earle's CD has nothing to do with mediums. It's mostly character readings. People like to hear about themselves. No need for the snooty Randi-ite attitude. Personally, I really liked his 'Art of Cold Reading' tape (same as CD without the money making part). If you are new to CR, this is a good investment.

If you are interested in doing Tarot, palmistry, numerology etc. type of readings, don't embarrass yourself by trying to 'wing it' with CR lines. Too many lay people know about CR and will catch on. Learn an actual system. It will be easier and more effective.

With an "actual system," is their mysticism involved? Is this paranormal, or science, or entertainment, or what?
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Quote:
On 2005-10-13 18:41, jimtron wrote:
With an "actual system," is their mysticism involved? Is this paranormal, or science, or entertainment, or what?

I think that would depend on your beliefs and how you choose to present your reading.
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2039 Posts

Profile of jimtron
So an "actual system" can involve mysticism or not, depending on the reader's preference? Can a "real" Tarot reading be done with or without mysticism? Are there any types of reading that require paranormal powers?

Alexandre described palmistry as a neurological phenomenon, in another thread. Would you call palmistry a science, or trick, or simple entertainment, or mysticism, or what?

Thanks,

Jim
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Quote:
On 2005-10-14 18:43, jimtron wrote:
So an "actual system" can involve mysticism or not, depending on the reader's preference? Can a "real" Tarot reading be done with or without mysticism? Are there any types of reading that require paranormal powers?

Alexandre described palmistry as a neurological phenomenon, in another thread. Would you call palmistry a science, or trick, or simple entertainment, or mysticism, or what?

Thanks,

Jim

An "actual system" can involve "mysticism" or not. Tarot card readings can be done without "mysticism".

What I wrote regarding Palmistry was part of the introduction to that particular eBook. I think if you're going to do Palmistry (which you can do with or without belief) you need to at least know a little about what you're doing, and my mention of it being a "neurological phenomenon" is just one amongst a few opinions out there regarding Palmistry.

My eBooks including Palmistry, Aura Readings, Astragalomancy, etc... are used with or without belief. What are they? Mainly something fun to include in your act, or just a casual addition to your mysterious art.
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2039 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Alexandre:

Thanks for your responses.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Gentle Art of Cold Reading by Lee Earle (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL