The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Cool Coin Video (Putfile) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8748 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I hearya Larry, but that guy is pretty good riding or walking, fast or slow I would suppose. I wouldn't say I was confused by what he was doing at all, as I was taken by how magically the coins seemed to move and appear and disappear from where I thought I saw them before I didn't. Anyway I just extended your original comparison...I would guess drug-addicted tennis players have nothing to do with magic either unless and when you decide that the comparison makes sense to you as you're watching something else, that you don't particularly care for. Still, to each his own and I respect your oppinion here and enjoy your many comments on this & that. Smile
*Check out my latest: The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10726 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
THAT WAS GREAT HE WAS KEEPING TIME WITH THE MUSIC...Now if he was making love then it would be fast..
the godfather
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Amir
View Profile
Loyal user
New York.
296 Posts

Profile of Amir
Good Lord.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=6389

The original video had different music, better quality and a list of credits...

Performer: Silver Choi
Camera operator and editing: Steven Leung

This is Choi's opening production I beleive.

So there, source and everything...

Personally I think its horrible that routines like this get out on the internet.

First off it totally exposes shade's handling to many who probably would have bought the DVD before watching it.... before at least people were wondering about how shade was constructed and whatnot, but after watching this it seems to give away most things(Whether there are extra things on shade or if its different is besides the point, the key is that it LOOKS as if it gives shade away).

Second, unlike a routine with a shell(where its existance would at least cover the method), this will not stand up to the laymen mentality of watching it over and over, which they can on putfile... I dunno, letting this stuff out in the wild seems really bad...

Can't Silver or MagicVideoDepot get putfile to take it down for copyright infringment?
Malcolm Kavalsky
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Malcolm Kavalsky
Now, we know what coin magic looks like MTV style Smile

I must be getting old ...
Checkout the Bobo Project at:
http://kavalsky.net:3834/OpenBobo/
Clip index at:
http://planet.nana.co.il/openbobo/
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27112 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
If a routine gives itself away on one viewing by an almost disinterested magician, what does that say about the thing and the magic market?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
First thing first; I greatly admire Daniel Garcia's Sh4de. I've written that before in open threads and pm's to him.
His DVD is a very worthwile addition to my collection of assembly-like routines. Recommended to anyone who likes coinmagic.

Will I use it in actual performance? Probably not. Why? Well wsduncan and Larry Davidson have explanined it better than I could already. I think Sh4de is one of those typical contributions to magic that was inspired not to make it as magical as possible, but to see if it could be done with the specific MO in mind. And that is, to me, as good a reason to create a routine as anything else.

Remember Vernon? "Confusion is not Magic." Well apply that to this demo...

SOHA, never in my little comment did I imply that "too fast for may taste" means it is not good. It is YOU who implies that. What else than a personal view (compared to ones personal style) can you give on such a demo? What exactly do you want to be evaluated?

I think the performer is a gifted (coin)technician. I also think his routine will impress hobbyist magicians more tha an actual paying lay audience (does he perform it for a paying layaudience?).
Personally I stick to my very slow, crystal clear chinc-a-chinc variations that uses a gaff AND (recently)...a technique learned from Sh4de!
Because that is the real exciting thing about learning from other peoples routines. You can adapt their moves for your own style and your own routine, which seems far more interesting than copying it blindly ,without realising its strong and weak points.
The best moments in this routine are the coinproductions, after that it is a technically sound Sh4de, unnecessary fast performed. To me it relates to magic as does a extreme cardflourish.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
smitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Picton, Ontario
358 Posts

Profile of smitty
Very nice routine, but not for me personally. I like working from the 'spectators hands' as much as possible. Haven't used a table in years. Based on the moves this young fellow is using, the routine could be done slower for sure, but as his friend said, all this fellows coin magic is 'fast'. I think 'fast' takes away from the beauty of what is happening. In M.O. anyway.

The production of the coins at the beginning I found a 'tab' bit rough, but smoother, would look great. His 'hand movement', to me at least, gave away what was coming.

The concept is certainly great. The routine has been around a long time though I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong 'those in the know', but I'm certain I've seen almost identical routines way back in the 70's when I was able to attend conventions.

If you've studied Coin Magic even a little, it's pretty easy to know how the effect is accomplished. This routine will be perfect for many, no doubt, but I will stick to 'my' style, which is more in the style of what Dan does; in THEIR hands, or my hands, or both.

This routine would no doubt be great for you restaurant workers though.

ENJOY...

smitty
dg magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston , TX.
350 Posts

Profile of dg magic
I think that he did a GREAT job...the speed was fine...the execution of technique was GREAT... Everything that was done was GREAT!!!

I've performed "SHADE" more times than I can count for laymen.... infact..the whole routine is specifically designed for how laymen process in a "programmed" setting...how laymen view an "assumed" picture...which is why it works... Out of the many years of me performing this in an impromtu setting...Ive NEVER once had anyone get confused on whats happening...the trick deals with visual numbers...which is hard to lose someone in...I've also never had any laymen say....he's just sliding coins.... I think that as magicians we get caught up in viewing an effect the way that WE want it to be seen...and we forget that its not about US...it about THEM...it's about how a LAYMEN will view the final outcome.

GREAT JOB!!!!

Daniel Garcia

P.S.... while typing this...i had a friend view the video...and all I kept hearing was...."How the....Holy @$#%....what the %&^%....that was insane"

that's enough for me to see how laymen view his performance.
-Truth is made up of two things... FACT... and the ability to believe it-
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Daniel, glad to see you back. I hope you and your love ones are all well after hurricane Rita. I'm still a big fan of Only Four! Cheers.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27112 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-10-09 21:48, dg magic wrote:...i had a friend view the video...and all I kept hearing was...."How the....Holy @$#%....what the %&^%....that was insane"

that's enough for me to see how laymen view his performance.

DG, in your opinion would it be okay to show the clip to a laymen or two and ask them if they like the routine? If so, I'd like to get some muggle persective on the thing.
dg magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston , TX.
350 Posts

Profile of dg magic
Im not opposed to it...why not expose laymen to the different styles that are out there...now I do agree with Daegs...with the fact that this routine is not constructed to be played with the repeat setting set on full auto... but that's not what magic is about... it's about "the moment" and in this routine the moment is built up throughout.

DG
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27112 Posts

Okay DG, and of course I would not offer anything for repeat and inspection viewing. Just want to get some muggle reactions.
dg magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston , TX.
350 Posts

Profile of dg magic
Heheh...your a grown man...you don't need my permission...and its not even my video....although the routine is mine...it doesn't give me the right to say who can and who can't view it...but I would be interested in the responces...

DG
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1130 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
Quote:
On 2005-10-09 01:33, Daegs wrote:

First off it totally exposes shade's handling to many who probably would have bought the DVD before watching it.... before at least people were wondering about how shade was constructed and whatnot, but after watching this it seems to give away most things(Whether there are extra things on shade or if its different is besides the point, the key is that it LOOKS as if it gives shade away).

Daegs, I see your point, but actually this demo is what makes me want to buy Shade. I wasn't really that interested before the demo. I personally think that the effect wasn't confusing, albeit a little fast. Anyways, the effect looks great. I can't wait to pick it up.

Caleb
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
aka
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of aka
Wow, pretty cool. it does kind of give away shade though... =(.
*past the point of no return~~
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
1916 Posts

Profile of iamslow
I thought it was a good speed.. remember, not all venues are practical for slow paced magic... don't get me wrong, but sometimes if you are at a night club or bar setting, its practical to do quick visual magic with no patter... just at pace with the music... and the production he did I believe is by chris kenner and it was in out of control (book) but I could be wrong...just my 2 cents
"Everyone is tough till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5266 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2005-10-14 01:55, iamslow wrote:
"...I thought it was a good speed..."

Probably what the magician said after he ingested it.
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Sick video.... very impressive....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Cool Coin Video (Putfile) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL