We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What is in your program? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1256 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Here is a little food for thought (oops wrong forum!) What type of show do you perform? Do you perform mentalism or mental magic? What are the effects or routines used in most of your shows? You may add or delete an effect or two here and there but what are the mainstays? For those theives out there this is not for your reading pleasure. It's MINE, MINE, ALL MINE!!! Smile
Seriously though, this is not intended to be a rip-off joint. I am curious myself as I have seen very few mentalists in my life. I am in the process of building a program myself and am curious as to what the typical show presents. Is it just readings and blindfolds or do you folks add a little zip to the programming. I am using a Tossed Out Deck, Larry Becker's Serial Killer (if I can get my hands on the right stuff), perhaps using the Thought Transmitter, a booktest, and I have yet to find the remainder of the program. But I WILL find it.

Samuel
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Sariel
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Sariel
just a quick question: what's the difference between mentalism and mental magic?
eric2104
View Profile
New user
saint-martin (French West Indies)
87 Posts

Profile of eric2104
Hi,
That's a "quick question", but the answer is a bit more difficult to formulate, and I'm sure that you will receive a lot of answers in this column...
Maybe this will help, and I'll try to keep it simple...
Mental Magic is defined by Lee Earle as "conjuring with a mind-reading veneer": the magician displays alleged mental powers and the audience pretends to believe they are possible. But the audience knows that what is being seen is just another magic trick, meaning a clever combination of manipulation and props resulting in an amazing feat (just like any kind of levitation...)
Mentalism, on the other hand, hangs the demonstrations on pre-existing hooks of belief from the audience (such as intuition, 6th sense, and others). Essentially propless (performers do a full show with nothing more than a few slips of paper and a pen), it is also focused on the audience abilities rather than the performer's. In my opinion, it is the most interactive form of magic, because basically it is about the audience, not about the performer; the performer mostly appears as a channel for "revealing" capacities, he certainly does not appear as "Eric the Great"...
Let's try this example: at the end of a Mental Magic show, the audience will try to figure out how the performer was able to predict the total of numbers given by the audience; at the end of the Mentalism show, the audience will be thrilled with the discovery of their unrealized abilities...
As long as they are performed well, both Mental Magic and Mentalism are entertaining; but they rely upon different premises and a different handling of the audience...
I hope this little explanation was clear enough for you; if not, don't hesitate to PM me...
All the best,
Eric.
Smile
"All magic is mental"
Tony Shiels.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4354 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Quote:
On 2002-11-04 05:30, samuel wrote:
I am in the process of building a program myself and am curious as to what the typical show presents.

The first thing you need to do is define your persona and determine which "power" you possess that you will be demonstrating.

Then you can start to select effects that will best illustrate your particular talent.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Brash
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of Brash
A mentalism performance should weave different effects together to create an interactive experience for the audience.
Most importantly you must build a rapport with your audience and not push their credibility too quickly.
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1256 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Quote:
On 2002-11-04 12:02, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:

The first thing you need to do is define your persona and determine which "power" you possess that you will be demonstrating.

Then you can start to select effects that will best illustrate your particular talent.

I have already defined that section of the character. He has a very bad case of deja vu (sp?). This enables him to make the predictions that are made during the show. Unfortunately most of the things he sees are trivial and not of world importance. (Thus avoiding the "why didn't you warn them" syndrome.) He also has trained his senses to "read" others. He is not that good at it and thus just gets vague impressions most of the time. And may even get the wrong impression.

I am working on putting together effects that work toward this end. More on the prediction side than anything else. It does need some work I know, but it is still in the rough stages.

Samuel
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What is in your program? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL