The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Instant hypnosis?- "Act of a Yogi hyp" by Colin Bray (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mark Storms
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of Mark Storms
This item in the abbots comedy magic catalouge cought my eye. However by the very nature of abbots products there is very little information on the product. So I am turning to the wise here.

Here is the effect description- Act of a Yogi hyp

As you may have guessed, Hyp is short for Hypnotism and the Yogi, in this case, is in name only. How many times have you been asked, "Can you hypnotize?" Did you have to dodge the issue? Take our tip and get Yogi Hyp and you will be set for that next occasion. If you want ten minutes of good comedy entertainment- Yogi Hyp is the answer.

Here is a gimmick, tried and tested by its originator, with all the ear marks of true Hypnotism. No practice. No study. You give a little talk on the subject, get four or five volunteers onto the stage and with no previous coaching they fall asleep, go fishing, imitate monkeys and other funny stunts. You will be amazed at the results possible with this clever device. Many magicians are using it- proof positive of its value and effectiveness. You get the gimmick, the Hyp talk and the presentation, real entertainment. Devised and routined by Colin Bray.

This sells for 30 bucks. Before I cough up the cash... Does anyone own this>?

Does anyone know more about it?

Any reviews?
THANKS.
Find out what you cannot do.., Then go and do it!
kcalB
View Profile
Inner circle
Took me 16 years to make
1002 Posts

Profile of kcalB
Save Your Money,..but buy Practical Hypnotism for $10.50 and do the real thing.!!
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.
Creator of The Clearly Q&A Board

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
Dario
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Dario
All is a question of made instant stooges. If you work for comedy or in a magical way It can be interesting. Not recomended for pure mentalists.

Best,
Darío
Mark Storms
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of Mark Storms
I have just ordered this because I am curious as to the possibilities of other applications of the "gimmick". If you can get people to be instant stooges then you can do A LOT! Just ask Kenton. hehe.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I'm still in awe of and sometimes frustrated with Kentonism.(the peices not the act) I have been very successful with it in some aspects and a miserable failure in others. Combining it with Eriksonian methods has worked well at times. My pile of Hypno books is about a foot tall and I don't need any more.
It sounds very much like Kentonism reworked.

I would really like to hear about the gimmick if you would PM me when it shows up.

The giant red flag warning is there though. No Practice, No study.

Seeing that you just want to know if the gimmick can be applied to other things for new and different effects I would say its worth a gamble, even knowing you may not want to do the routine.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
It can't be Kentonism reworked. Kentonism might be this reworked, tho. This Mss. has been around since the '50's, as far as I can remember.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Mark Storms
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of Mark Storms
I wouldnt call it Kentonism reworked either. My guess is that it has to be some way to cue spectators or it is obvious to the audience what you are doing to get these spectators to do what you want and this may be why it is labeled as comedy magic. It could be a sort of "hypnosis revealed, but not really" comedy bit. I guess ill see when I get it. I know not all of you may be interested in this but ,since there is no review for this on the Café, I will post a full review when I try it out.
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
966 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Hey Mark, please give us a review as soon as it arrives at your door.
Thx mate
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2911 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Sounds like the Doctor Q hyp act that Bill Larsen Sr. wrote up. It's the same act that John Calvert has done for sixty years. If you have stage chops, it can play well.

By the way, what's a "pure mentalist"?
Hypno
View Profile
Regular user
England
118 Posts

Profile of Hypno
Hi Guys
I bought this many years ago from supreme magic.
It is a nice enough routine although it does not use legitimate hypnosis. It has some elements in common with John Calvert's routine. Although this is something you could make use of in a larger show, it is not something you could use to build a reputation as a stage hypnotist. (In fact I think if you bill yourself as a stage hypnotist it might end up actually being harmful to your reputation as a hypnotist.)
Sorry I cant say more in a open forum. If you have any other questions PM me.

Hypno
Mark Storms
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of Mark Storms
I recieved this about a week ago. This product was not what I thought and I would have to say that it is definatelly not worth 30 dollars. This is because the materials provided are very cheap and easily constructed. This routine involves you showing something to the spectators, openly and seemingly fairly. This is a method of instant stooging. I may try this out but I think I may modify it to suit my needs. As said before, this item wouldnt be good to earn a reputation as a hypnotist and is more akin to making fun of hypnosis.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I could have saved you thirty. The word Yogi is a tip off that it is a simulation of hypnosis and not the real deal. It has also been advertised by Abbott's since I was a pre-teen, so you know the thing is older than the hills.

U.F. Grant put out a manuscript (only a page or two of ideas) on Pick Pocketing, again it was simulation only. If the spectators are willing you look good, otherwise you look like an idiot as no actual skill is required.

I have bought some of these things for nostalgic reasons or just plain curiosity. David Robbins complete ESP act, Gamblers expose act. They're fun to read IF you are not expecting much, it kind of takes the sting out, but $30.00? that's a pain that will linger.

I hate to say it but...Magic involves practice, skill, and presentation. These are all things that can not be learned quickly. Any promise that it can should be looked at with extreme caution.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Came across this thread in a search and found it interesting since I have used the instant stooge principle hear and there...Anyway..couldnt this be reworked or blended with some of Kenton Knepper's effects of similar principle?
B.K.Pal
View Profile
New user
India
74 Posts

Profile of B.K.Pal
Ordered this item out of curiosity and they have despatched on 18th. Accidentaly saw these posts in this thread...good advice but I am perhaps too late.
Sincerely Yours,....PAL
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Instant hypnosis?- "Act of a Yogi hyp" by Colin Bray (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL