The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Appearing guitar (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
John Tudor used to produce a quitar in his act. I believe he is a member here. Maybe he can help you.
markjens
View Profile
Loyal user
N. CA
213 Posts

Profile of markjens
With the holiday seasons coming up, Guitar Center (and competitors) will be selling electics for less than a hundred bucks. If you have Craig's list or some such thing in your area, you can find one of these beauties second hand, taking the price down to the fifty to seventy range. Or, you can check with local shops, tell them what you are looking for, and they might just be willing to give it to you (especially if you get creative and slap one of their bumper stickers across the front like some of the Gen X'ers would do.) Good luck, oh, and another thing you can promise is to do the effect for them when you have it down.
camikesrd
View Profile
Regular user
Richmond,Virginia
103 Posts

Profile of camikesrd
Magicurt, If that blowup guitar idea works I can tell you how to produce your

female assistant .........Mike
magicurt
View Profile
Loyal user
alabama
222 Posts

Profile of magicurt
Thanks for the ideas guys. I have purchased a guitar from a music shop that takes trade-ins. It was without strings. I bought it for $20.00. It looks great. I am working toward my original idea with some great tips from you guys through p.m.'s I received. Thanks Guys.

Of course I'm still taking ideas. It can always be better.

Curt
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Quote:
On 2005-10-14 10:02, kregg wrote:
The Parker Fly is the lightest guitar made, about 5 pounds.

Aughhh !!! Surely you're not suggesting routing out a Parker Fly !!
They're too nice to carve up ! Heck, I like my "cheap" model P-38 !
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
magicurt
View Profile
Loyal user
alabama
222 Posts

Profile of magicurt
I am not using a parker fly--rest easy. It is a red and white Montaya.

Curt
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Maybe you can improve on the idea and get some inspiration here:

http://www.thetrickery.com/?nd=full&key=5992

The Mikame Folding side table has a collapsable base that springs open into a functional side table. In your case, the guitar neck would operate in a manner similar to the base on this table.
magicurt
View Profile
Loyal user
alabama
222 Posts

Profile of magicurt
Good idea, thanks. I will give it and some variations some thought.

Curt
magicurt
View Profile
Loyal user
alabama
222 Posts

Profile of magicurt
The appearing guitar is coming alon nicely. I have it to under 2 lbs. I used the advice here and changed it a little. I'll keep you posted.

Curt
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
I'm a little late here, but if you have friends with access to a good theatrical prop shop you could Vac-u-form the body. That would be really light. You could probably use a real guitar for the "mold." But it sounds like you are doing OK.

Yours,

Paul
magicurt
View Profile
Loyal user
alabama
222 Posts

Profile of magicurt
Wish
I'ld heard that before. What is Vac-u-form?

Curt
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
A Vac-U-Form is a scaled up version of a terrific toy that I had as a kid (sadly no longer available for reasons that will be obvious). A frame holds a sheet of thermoplastic polymer with perforated edges over a heating element. When the plastic is soft, the frame is flipped on a hinge over a molding platform that has a bunch of tiny holes in it along with a positive (imagine a guitar). As soon as the plastic is in place, a vacumn pump (hand pump on the toy version) is used to suck the air out from between the plastic and the mold; the plastic is drawn down to make a replica of the positive by air pressure. When the plastic sets, you trim the flash off, paint it, whatever. Stage companies make plastic masks, armor, sculpted molding for sets, whatever, using a large-scale version of this.

Yours,

Paul
magicurt
View Profile
Loyal user
alabama
222 Posts

Profile of magicurt
Kinda like industrial shinky dinks?

Curt
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
No, I looked up shrinky dinks and those are thermosetting, not thermoplastic. Also, they shrink. The plastic used for Vac-U-Form doesn't shrink, and if you were to heat it again, it would soften again.

Yours,

Paul
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Appearing guitar (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL