The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Cane routine ideas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magic-taylor
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of magic-taylor
Does anyone know of some good resources for appearing cane moves or any origional ideas or routines you would like to share.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
No I don't want to share them
Danny Boy
View Profile
New user
USA
57 Posts

Profile of Danny Boy
How is that productive IC? Magicians helping magicians remember? Anyway, I have been playing with the idea of a series of floating/dancing effects. Why is the cane special, how about instead of objects being the trick, they are merely taken over by it.,,, I silk floats onto a table that then floats until the silk leaves and rubs up against the cane, long story short, make the can part of the story instead of the lead role.

Danny
DannyCrook.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I would suggest two books.."novel magic with an Appearing Cane" sold by Mickey Hades and Magic with Canes (I think that is the name) by Hen Fetsch.

One quick idea I pass in my lecture. Fill an inflated balloon with confetti. Put a tack in thumbtip. I use a cane to bouquet in this case. I bounce the balloon on the cane and then pop the balloon with the tack in the thumbtip. As the confetti flutters down, you change the cane to the bouquet.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
I remove the cap and do a large thimble routine..Cordially,Howard
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi magic-taylor:

Here are a few more resources to help you:

1. Walsh Cane Routines booklet (I think this is different from Richard's suggestions, but it may be the one by Hen Fetch). I have this book, but it's been years since I've looked at it. I'm pretty sure there are appearing and vanishing cane ideas/routines in it. Try http://www.magicbookshop.com

2. New Magic of Japan by Richard Kaufman - there is a routine called something like "Flash Explosion Appearance" using an appearing cane with flash string and flash paper. I'm pretty sure Kaufman still sells this book.

3. Spectacle by Stephen Minch - James Dimmare has his appearing cane and silk routine in the book. I remember it being very impressive.

4. Shimada Video/DVD by Stevens Magic. He has his cane from silk on this tape/DVD and it's very good. I performed this in my act for years, and audiences were really surprised by it.

Good luck to you - I hope this heads you in the right direction.

Ron
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

I have an vanishing cane- fantasio I have never tried it with a metal one
they scare the heck out of my fingers

Any way yo remove the cap and double loop a rubber band over the end. you keep it in vanished form ie small

You can use a Purse frame to produce the cane from- when you get to the end you twist and the bands tighten around the cane.

Then you strip the rubber band off to vasinsh

It's like the Wand from purse frame- (when it's up your sleeve) but you do it with a longer object and you get to vanish it too
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Also Penrose's Caberet Collection, it has a peice where you touch the tip of the cane to the torch, flash, and you have 2 silks, no torch or cane. I think that's what it is... my memory maybe hazy.
Paul
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I love what Danny has suggested. Here is someone who is saying NOT to look at your cane as just a prop and look beyond that. Work out the story and what you want to convey to the audience first and build in the cane sequences and ideas to help establish this magical story you are taking your audiences on. When we tend to get away form looking at the prop asd just a prop, we can open our minds to much more creativity and give that creativity back to our audiences.

You might ask yourself... Why do I have a cane? What is amy purpose for having it on stage? Would my character have a cane at all and if so, what style would he have? These are important things to ask yourself as they can relate directly to what is going on and often times the answers to the above questions will point you to creative ideas that not onlky make sense, but are unique.

Let us take an example here and see what all of this really means and how it cane be applied. Let us say that the setting is an attic and the character is seen in this attic as the curtains open.

Before the curtains open you here a narrator say, "It's funny how we go about our lives looking for magic and magical things. But often times we feel we never find them. What we foten forget is that magic is all around us and happens in the most unlikely of places.... this is my story"

The curtains open to you on stage in an attic moving things around when you stumble across an old chest standing near a coat rack. You open it up a bit and a light comes shining from within. You shut it stunned but cuiosity overpowers your better judgement and you open it up. As you open the trunk the music changes instantly as you hear applause from a crowd of people. Suddenly a burst of flame occurs on the coat rack as a banner falls from it saying.. "Presenting(such and such) the worlds greatest magician.. LIVE"

You look puzzled as you take out this cane from inside of the trunk. You place the cane in your hand as you look back in the trunk to find what else is going on here. Just then as you look away, the cane in your hand spins by itself as if a mind of its own. You grab it and look puzzled as it dances away from you. You do a short dance sequence with the cane seemingly in a mind of its own and you trying to understand it all.

You pear into the trunk and bring out items like a wand and showbills as the narrative says, " the more I looked the more I realized what all of this meant. The magic inside was familiar to me for you see the magic and the trunk and everything inside of it was my great grandfathers... and now his memory lives in me"

You pick up the cane and as the last line is said, the cane vanishes in confetti as a large silk banner falls to the floor showing your grandfather. As the silk is dropped you are now seen in your grandfathers clothes. You reach around and take the top hat off the coat rack and place it on your head and wink to the audience as the stage goes to black out.

Now this is just a haphazard idea off the top of my head, but you can begin to see that if you look past the cane as just a cane, you can truely start to create more interesting ideas and give your audinces so much more to grab ahold of.

In this example, it is the story and the character that really conveys what happens to the cane and why the cane is used. Instead of the cane dictating what happens, the story dictates what magic should take place.

I hope this might be of help to others. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
magic-taylor
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of magic-taylor
Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm off to search for the resources you mentioned.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

I don't know how the hook up is but you can get a Dancing Vanishing cane

good luck playing around with that idea
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
You can get the rigging from Fantasio and it slides right onto a Fantasio vanishing cane. It works very well if you work on it.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Fantasio also includes a method in his book "My Candles and Canes" where you can alter one of his vanishing canes to make it a dancing cane too, without having to buy an extra piece, (apart from the obvious gimmick).
Paul
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Cool thanks- I'll check it out

Dave
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Fantasios book and his 2 videos done at the magic castle are really a wealth of information for any magicians library. I have them all and refer to them often for ideas and inspiration for new effects.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
What is juan mayorals flash cane like. is it worth buying.
Eric Buss
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Eric Buss
Mahka Tendo, from Japan, is selling some really nice metal appearing canes... expensive, but the best I've seen. But keep in mind, no matter how cool the cane looks, it's a "stick" to the lay audience.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Juan mayorals Flash Cane

do you mean the dancing one with all the Dlites over it.

If this is what you are talking about:
It looks great- you cn get it in Blue and red and is good becauxse you can turn the lights down a little more to hide the thread and it is still very visible.

I rememebr when he came to lecture in Australia and performed his show in the gala dinner
He walks out and starts doing the dancing cane as an opener- the crowd went nuts
It's the first time I had seen the lay audience go nuts all night too and there were several other magcians of note at the event.
Parsoni
View Profile
New user
Bill Crawford
9 Posts

Profile of Parsoni
Help. I can't find athread that doesn't show or either it is to weak towork with out breaking.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2006-04-07 16:10, Parsoni wrote:
Help. I can't find athread that doesn't show or either it is to weak towork with out breaking.

All thread will show!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Cane routine ideas (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL