The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » TT question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
howdoidisconnect
View Profile
Elite user
Just outside the cafe window
429 Posts

Profile of howdoidisconnect
Sorry if this is being posted in the wrong forum.

Ok so I have got a soft tt and I have a question. It will only go down as far as my knuckle on my thumb, which extend the thumb tip to the lengh of the first finger. Is this normal? I don't have very long thumbs but they are wide apparently. Also the colour ( and I know if you use it properly it could be green in colour) any suggestion of how to adapt the colour colser to your own skin tone?

I can work with it, but it just seems very tight and ill fitted. Are the wider TT you can buy ?

Any help is very much appreciated

Kind regards

Steve
I do look forward to the day when you post something constructive.
-Tony Iacoviello
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Think about this.
If you could get the tip all the way on your thumb what else could you possible put in it?
You've got the right idea about the "green" tip and there's really no good solution for matching your skin tone that I know of.

I believe TTs come in a large size.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
I heard that you could use a purple tt and people should not be able to notice it. I think that would be quite akward tho, but that is really small, I would suggest get a bigger one.
Roland78
View Profile
Special user
Torino, Italy
567 Posts

Profile of Roland78
Actually if you keep the hands in the right position, you won't flash the weird lenght of your thumb tip, just try it in the mirror and you will see that if you point it to the audience, they will only see the tip, and not the whole lenght, and that if you curl the fingers of the hand they will cast a light shadow over it concealing the different skin color. The problem I have using it is another one: if I hide in it something bigger than a cigarette's filter, it won't fit anymore on my thumb and it will simply slide away. I tried different methods to keep it in place, but if I hide, for example, a whole cigarette (of course crushed and squashed in it), I will have the same problem explained by Steve: and moreover it will fall down because I don't know how to keep it still.
Any suggestions and ideas?

Davide
Kim Van Weert
View Profile
New user
Perth, Australia
19 Posts

Profile of Kim Van Weert
Kick back your thumb by bending it back towards your wrist. This will lessen the length and give your thumb a more normal appearance. Also keep it as much behind your fingers as you can. This will give your audience a more "shaded" view of your thumb and will minimise colour difference/length.
Some tips can be stretched with hot water to widen them. It is worth a try. Bigger tips can be brought later if it doesn't work.
I used a soft tip for years that had permanent marker marks on them...no one ever noticed.
Regards
Kim
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Think about this, in all the years you have walked the Earth, just how often have you looked at another person's thumb? You have entirely too much attention on the thing, and if you have attention on it, you can be reasonably sure others will as well.

Patrick Page has a super DVD/Video on it's useage and near the end he does a trick where he uses the black plastic film can 35mm film comes in in it's place. Proof that the thing can't be seen when your handling is on the money.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
howdoidisconnect
View Profile
Elite user
429 Posts

Many thanks for all the replys, I guess I should be praticeing more in front of the mirror.
Also thank you for the suggestion of handling with the shadow of the hand etc.

Regards

Steve
-Tony Iacoviello
español jeff
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of español jeff
Nothing against your post, Steve. But I quit using the tt when Klutz Books came out with their magic book and included it. Are others still using it too?
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2945 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
I still use it. It's still an amazing tool and people that claim to know about it don't have a clue how I perform certain things. You are missing out by not using it.

Here's a section from one of my eBooks:

I find that many young performers don’t use the TT because they are afraid someone will spot it. Blatant insecurity. They feel awkward with it on. I understand, long ago I was once this way as well. This occurs because as soon as the fake thumb goes on, they feel “obvious” and “unnatural”, and they no longer make the same natural, casual gestures, instead trying to compensate for the Thumb Tip somehow.

One way to overcome this is to wear it all the time; while driving, eating, in the shower, wear it so you will actually forget it, and do the normal things you usually do. What this exercise will do is make you react more naturally to the Thumb Tip, causing it to become truly invisible in your hands. When you’re gesturing naturally people won’t feel the need to search your hands. Look your spectators in the eyes, forget the Thumb Tip, and they will too. Of course you should keep in mind that the tip of the Thumb Tip should mostly point to the spectator’s facial area, as this will make the thumb truly invisible even if they look directly at it. But do it naturally, your own way. Record yourself using it, you’ll see exactly what I mean.
español jeff
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of español jeff
Alexandre,
Good advice. I think I might dig mine back out and give it a try.
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
The TT is one of THE best utility tools ever created in magic. It should not be shunned so readily, but it should be mastered.

My girlfriend, who has seen most of my magic, and can get a little fed up with it, had a genuine astonished jaw drop moment, when I made a piece of paper completely disappear, while wearing a t-shirt. She was a foot from my hands, couldn't see a thing.

Simple, but very powerful.
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I use mine quite often. I recently discovered TT coils. These are like mouth coils. Put one in your TT, steal away the TT in your hand and pull out about 7 feet of paper - from an empty hand.

Not bad.
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Español jeff:
What do “Klutz” books have to do with you not using a tt?

Bob
Wayne Hackler
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of Wayne Hackler
It is a great tool. Sure there are plenty of people who know of it's use. If you work on your handling and try new effects with it, be comfortable with it and not focus on it, no one will ever notice.
Shalin
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Shalin
If the tip seems like it is too long, try touching the tip to your index or middle finger. It makes the length less noticeable. Also, remember to just keep your thumb pointing directly at the audience, or behind your fingers at all times.

-Shalin
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
It's probably not a good idea to do the straight handkerchief vanish using a tt in performance, because it's been exposed so often. However, it's still worth starting by doing the hank vanish - it'll help you learn basic technique. Once you've mastered this, you'll find all kinds of other uses for your tt which are far less obvious. It really is a great utility device.

I would recommend getting a book and/or a video/dvd to show you some of the possibilities. I like Darwin's Encyclopedia of Thumb Tip Magic (a 3 DVD set), but I've heard good things about the Patrick Page material.
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1447 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
I DO use thumbtips and will use as far as I go on performing. They come in different sizes. You may contatct Vernet about the right size. If y-the colour of the Thumb tip is lighter than tour skin, there is something to do with it. It will get darker if you carry it in your pocket for a period of time. But if it is darker, no solution is present to the best of my knowledge.
For those who has no idea about the uses of the thumb tip, I can recommend the following:
1. 50 Tricks with a Thumbtip by Milbourne Christopher
2. A DVD or VHS ; Thumbtip Lecture by Salvano
After these you may be re-addicted to your thumbtip.

P.S. There are many videos abd booklets about the thumbtip but these two have been most useful to my students.
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Quote:
On 2005-10-14 19:47, Foucault wrote:
It's probably not a good idea to do the straight handkerchief vanish using a tt in performance, because it's been exposed so often.

If I stopped using every trick that has been “exposed”, I would be down to very few tricks.

I use tt’s and Dlites all day in the shop and never get burned. The same thing goes for linking rings.

This is much to- do about nothing.
Bob
howdoidisconnect
View Profile
Elite user
429 Posts

Tora

thank you for you post. That is another problem like I mentioned was the colour. my skin is lighter than the tip. Yes I look like uncle fester most days!.I think I might try a professional costume shop for some kind of skin make up of somehthing.

Also thanks for the advise on the dvd around.

regards

steve
-Tony Iacoviello
español jeff
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of español jeff
Bob Wellington,
Well, I guess the Klutz books made me feel that if any 12 or 13 year old kid could get his hands on a tt and some basic instruction, I'd figure he would, at least, show his friends, etc., etc.. Then what sense did it really make for me to try to use in in a quality/professional manner, anyway. They'd all have enough working knowledge to, at last, spoin the trick. Just my thought, you know. Jeff
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » TT question (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL