The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » TT question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
etrigan69
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of etrigan69
I'm painting mine as I type this. I'll be honest, I could never get away with using a neon purple/green one. I'm too green for that! I never realized how pink I was until I tried to match my thumb color!
etrigan69
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of etrigan69
P.S. I painted it and have now gone to the final step of coating it in a flat clear. So far it looks great! One of the reasons I wanted to try this was I noticed when I had a purple silk in it the tip had a purple tint to it. Really I don't see that as a huge problem but I wanted to see how a paint job on it would turn out.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
What material is your tip made of? I'd be curious to see how the paint holds up, I imagine there are paints that work ok on vinyl, but if it's polyethelene, like the original Vernet tips, there's no paint I know of that will adhere.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3629 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I painted my D'lites with Skintone Acrylic Enamel, which I found at a craft shop. It's held up real well. I don't think these are polyethylene, however.

jim
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
508 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Quote:
On 2006-12-27 14:35, munkywrench wrote:
Try submerging the tip in boiling water. Then fit/mold around a broom handle. Cure using cold water but do not remove broom handle until cooled. This method works on Vernets. If you can stand the heat you can use your thumb instead of the broom handle. With this said don't stick your thumb in the boiling water. For color you might search latex flesh tones like make-up artists use.

The water does NOT need to be boiling to make the TT pliable and adjustable. In fact, my local dealer has a TT on display in the shop that isn't recognizable for what it is because it was boiled. It's a standard Vernet that a customer bought, took home and submerged in boiling water. They brought it back, hoping to get a replacement. I don't know if they got one or not, but the shop owner shows it to everyone who buys a TT that he suspects doesn't know what they're doing or who ask about adjusting the size.
etrigan69
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of etrigan69
Quote:
On 2007-01-03 16:34, jimhlou wrote:
I painted my D'lites with Skintone Acrylic Enamel, which I found at a craft shop. It's held up real well. I don't think these are polyethylene, however.

jim

That’s what I used however I have a lot of experience painting vinyl. I used to paint figure model kits professionally. Here's an old tutorial I wrote a few years back. http://www.geocities.com/etrigan69/modeltutorial1.htm

What I did was wash the TT with dish soap. (This removes any skin oil and will allow the paint to stick better.) Then you want to use some primer. White would be best but any color will work. Keep it very light. If it's real thick it will most likely crack. Let that dry an hour or so. Now you want to use some latex type paint in found in many colors at most craft stores.

I used a skin tone some brown, red and ivory. I found a neutral tone that was close to the skin near my thumb. I mixed that then darkened it with brown. I then painted the entire TT with that then dry brushed the lighter coat over that. I noticed I had a bunch of pink blotches so I reddened some of the lighter tone and dry brushed a little of that. Then I did the little ivory right over that spot where the cuticle starts.

After you are satisfied how it looks take some dull coat clear (This goes on flat IE: No gloss) I did about two coats. Finally I brushed a bit of clear gloss across the nail.

Here's how it looks completed.
etrigan69
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of etrigan69
As far as shaping your TT using a blow dryer would probably work best. Heat it, fit it and then put it under cold water to set it. For model kits I have put them in boiled water but you don't want to leave it there long. Use tongs!
kroberge
View Profile
New user
Old Town, Maine
75 Posts

Profile of kroberge
Wow, nice looking TT etrigan69! Very nice indeed!
DeaconBlu
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of DeaconBlu
Wow, that's the best looking TT I've ever seen.

For my money, most people don't care if your thumb is extended as long as your hands are empty.
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
508 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Wow, etrigan69. That is not a TT. ...That is a masterful work of art. Nice job.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2323 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Very nice job on the TT. It is creepy how much it looks like a real thumb!
Brian
Adam J
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Adam J
Etrigan69, that looks like a real thumb, awsome job on the painting.

Anyways, today I actually picked up Darwin's 3 DVD Set on TT's, and I never even began to think of all the ways it could be used. I picked up a hard TT today aswell, seeing as I only have a soft one, and I've been using it all day.

I did the Salt Trick to several people who knew how to 'vanish a silk' with a TT, and they were baffled. Followed it up with vanishing a lit match, and once again, baffled.

It's one of those things that is ONLY restricted by your creativity and your interest in trying new things out.

Adam
ambassador365
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of ambassador365
If you have a darker skin tone like me (I'm Mexican) you might want to try this idea that I came up with last year... (I'm sure someone will correct me if this idea isn't original with me). Take your Vernet tip and place it in a pot of hot coffee or tea for an extended amount of time. I left mine in there for about 6 hours while I ran some errands and it darkened my tip to almost an exact match for my skin tone. I left it in there for a few hours longer and it was a near perfect match.

I don't have it down to an exact science. You'll have to experiment with how hot you keep the coffee/tea.

Anyway, I figured that if coffee could stain teeth...

Rudy Tinoco
ambassador365
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of ambassador365
If you have a darker skin tone like me (I'm Mexican) you might want to try this idea that I came up with last year... (I'm sure someone will correct me if this idea isn't original with me). Take your Vernet tip and place it in a pot of hot coffee or tea for an extended amount of time. I left mine in there for about 6 hours while I ran some errands and it darkened my tip to almost an exact match for my skin tone. I left it in there for a few hours longer and it was a near perfect match.

I don't have it down to an exact science. You'll have to experiment with how hot you keep the coffee/tea.

Anyway, I figured that if coffee could stain teeth...

Rudy Tinoco
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3207 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2005-10-16 22:55, Wellington wrote:
For example:
Chris Capehart was in the shop, and told me about an incident with his linking rings, a “trick” often touted as being over exposed. As he was working through his routine a kids popped off and stated that the ring had an opening in it, and he saw it on a TV magic (exposure) show.

Chris, promptly said, “O, you mean this (pointing to the key ring) that is there for beginners, I don’t use it myself.” With that, Chris covered the key with his hand and did a crash link. The kid sat down.

Bob

I am SOOOOooooo using that one!!! Chris is coming to lecture in San Francisco later in April. I cannot wait!

Back on Topic:

Don't worry about the color of the TT as much as the proper fit.

Do yourself a favor and get a TT that is large enough to be a good, slightly loose fit.

Also check out Jay Sankey's DVD "Hundred Dollar Miracles" for a lot of routines utilizing the 100 dollar bill switch. It taught me so much!

G
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » TT question (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL