The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Psychokinetic Punch? - Derren Brown (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Lane999, your Canadian aren't you? Sorry if I took you aback. How is life in the monastery by the way? Don't worry, when you can take the pebble from the hand it'll be time for you to leave. But not yet I fear.
Ian, I'd Pm you my reply but I see you don't receive them?

Bobser.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Thomas Rudolfo
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria, EU
640 Posts

Profile of Thomas Rudolfo
Hi Ian,

Nice and very thoughtful post as usual. Regarding "Skills of the vagabond". I also do own a copy of it (got it years ago). It's a colourful books wich gives insight of different techniques of martial arts or to simulate these as Ian mentioned and also covers black magic, drugs, poison, etc. There are also some descriptions of great magic shows in there. Part of it was interesting to read.

At amazon there are supposed to be some used books available. Check it out.

Greetings
Thomas
Think positive and you'll see, how beautiful your life can be!

www.der-mentalist.net
Psycho Joe
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Psycho Joe
I googled 'Skills of the Vagabonds' and the first site that came up was

http://www.wle.com/products/b280.html

Looks like an interesting book.

Psycho Joe
Psycho Joe
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Psycho Joe
Just a follow up to my post above...

Skills of the Vagabonds II

http://www.kungfu-online.dk/shop/default.asp?ProductID=1550

The description of this one caught my eye. Part of the description as follows:

You will also be fascinated by the healing power of Chi-Kung, the "air palm" that snuffs out candles, Chi-Kung turning wine to water, the human electric conductor, body levitation Chi-Kung and teleportation.

Psycho Joe
Karswell
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of Karswell
Some vagabond skills including the no-contact punch are shown on mindbody and kickass programmes. The no-contact punch is known in martial arts circles as Ling Kong Jing, a speciality of Hsing I, of which Derren is not an expert I imagine!
I think it all makes for good material especially in its getting away from the usual Geller-centric style displays.

Nick.
magickdabid--uk
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of magickdabid--uk
Hello again Bobser,
sorry you don't think my communication skills are not my best attributes, but again my point is this, when someone takes a blow from the back they do not bend forward, so although it may have been nice for the telly, that part was not congruant with what was being portrayed, hence ham acting on the part of the martial artist if he even was a martial artist?, who knows? I don't, after all it was done for the telly & is part of the illusion.

As for Pro's probably knowing somethings that I don't at this time, not sure I agree with that one matey, when I started in this game best part of 30 years ago, I was told the diffrence between the hobbyist and the Pro was that the Hobbyist seeks new tricks to show the same people, and the pro seeks to perfect his working act by performing it time & time again to many diffrent people, therefore it was the hobbyist who knew much more that the Pro not the other way around......not much changes mate, I have friends who are still doing the same act 20 years later and still being booked for top doller.

Of course the obvious exception to this would be those who are involved with the TV, poeple like Copperfield, Brown, etc who need that to do the work they do....

hopeing my communcation is a bit better............

Dave
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Ain't this the truth? LOL
TJ
:)
Quote:
On 2005-10-11 13:24, magickdabid--uk wrote:
What a load of rubbish!, you need to see the old black & white tapes of Bruce Lee doing a 1 inch punch to see it being done properly not the rubbish they showed, as for the DB bit.........Hmmmmmm, Ham acting I think they call it, the second time he did it from the rear the guy buckled forward???????like he felt it in the gut! what was that all about????? when was the last time you saw anyone take a punch in the back and fold forward?

DB has far better stuff worth watching, this wasn't one of those times.

Dave
Dave
Philosophry
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of Philosophry
I understood Bruce Lee's 1-inch punch to be the '1-inch knockdown' i.e. he could hold his fist only a inch from your face and still hit you hard enough to knock you out. Wheras, Derren Brown's punch isn't supposed to touch the other person in a physical way.
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of Markymark
The Bruce Lee forum! There is a 1 or 3 inch punch that will send you flying..also
a 1 or 3 inch punch where you stay where you are but your internal organs collapse!! There is a good docu. dvd called Bruce Lee,the warrior where you see him to his inch punch in about 1968 at Long beach.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
I feel myself ebbing away here.
Dave, you're driving me insane!
But you also make me smile, so..... I'm going to PM you.

Bobser
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Bruce Lee was an accomplished dancer and a Hong Kong Cha Cha champion.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Salsa-Dancer that is rubbish. For we all know that Richard Colley would have eaten Brucie alive!!!

Bobser
(we like the way he moves)
freeflyphil
View Profile
New user
phil
79 Posts

Profile of freeflyphil
Sorry to revive this old thread. But I had a mate of my show me the kickass tv doc and saw the presenter use his chi energy to stand behind someone and bring them down whitout touching them. This seemed remarkably similar to Derrens trick used in his series and on The Messiah special. So I am lef to conclude that either some of these martial arts tricks (and I don't mean the 1 inch punch) are actually magic effcects or derren brown is a tai chi master. is there any publiched reference to the pk punch? Any martial artists out there think its possible to knock someone over without touching them using martial arts technique?
Malchat
View Profile
Special user
The Kingdom of Croiset and Wonder
885 Posts

Profile of Malchat
Personal opinion alert!

Some martial arts teachers are using the exact same methods as Derren Brown to give demonstrations that have little practical value in a self-defense/sporting context.

I daresay that Derren is a bit more aware of what's really going on than many of the guys teaching it.

That said, there are still brilliant PK ideas to be mined from Pushing Hands-type Tai Chi.
“You are what you pretend to be.”
Garrad
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of Garrad
There is a guy called Chris Crudeli ( not sure if the sirname is spealy correctly ) who is a martial arts and esoteric force expert. He has a program called mind body and kick ass moves. I have seen him pull and push ( from behind ) a subject without touching him, very similar to what Derren did. I know one of the guys he did it to and he was no stooge. So it is possible.
You might say reality is the result of complex negotiations between the observer and the observed. But that is simply a point of view.

Many Thanks
Garrad
freeflyphil
View Profile
New user
phil
79 Posts

Profile of freeflyphil
Not all mentalism effects require a stooge, that doesn't mean they are "real" - that is the chap whose show my freind showed me. What I am wondering is, is there a method that perhaps some perfomers in the martial arts world perhpas aren't even aware theyre using? perhas they've convinced themselves thy are using chi or whatever when in reality there is much simpler explanation.
Malchat
View Profile
Special user
The Kingdom of Croiset and Wonder
885 Posts

Profile of Malchat
Yes: suggestion.
“You are what you pretend to be.”
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Look up dim mak and qigong on youtube...
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Count Dante was probably the best at Dim Mak. With that, there are no secret forces but one can control another mind and actions.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Omid
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel
332 Posts

Profile of Omid
Quote:
On 2007-01-02 17:40, Malchat wrote:
Yes: suggestion.

In this specific DB effect, the explanation is even simpler (and it also starts with the letter "s" Smile).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Psychokinetic Punch? - Derren Brown (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL