The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Punishment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
I have been studying a bunch for 3 coin production and vanish sequences that fit my performance style. I think I've found my new Favorite. I happened across a routine in a book called "A" Material by Jim Pace about a year ago and read thru a routine called Punishment. It seemed to be quite novel and right up my alley, but I neglected to attempt the routine with coins in hand. Big Mistake

I recently obtained a copy of Gags 2 and watched the performance of the routine and was floored. I would highly suggest you get both the book and the video......
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
789 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
Where can you find this Eric?

Phedon
...The only easy day is yesterday...
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Gags 2 and "A" Material, both by Jim Pace
<BR>
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1680 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Phedon,
Jim Pace is a member here. I'm sure if you send him a PM he'll be happy to help you.

Best,
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27140 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I'm no fan of producing things only to vanish them, or vanishing things only to imedietly reproduce them. How workable are the separate phases?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
I see where you're coming from Jon. The routine can most certainly be extended to allow a coins across or a spellbound phase, as the production and the vanish sequences can be performed separately. I really dig the vanish sequence.

With slight modification, I honestly think the routine can be reset easily to perform in a strolling situation.
<BR>
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
789 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
Thanks Joe. That's precisely what I'm going to do.

Phedon
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Now that's a man on a mission.....

Give em hell Phedon!!! LOL

:goodluck:
<BR>
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
789 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
AH ah aha. I trust your judgment man... Especially since I saw your karate coin moves in Philadelphia! Thanks again for the info, I just PMed Jim.

Phedon
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
How are the angles on the routines? Are these taught in Gags 2?
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2324 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
The angles are like normal. Just keep aware of your audience and you should be fine. It is best to have them in your general front area to get the best view. But from the sides I don't necessarily think they are problematic. The routine is a thing of beauty. I love watching Jim perform it for people.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2005-10-10 19:26, Godhandz wrote:
I have been studying a bunch for 3 coin production and vanish sequences that fit my performance style. I think I've found my new Favorite. I happened across a routine in a book called "A" Material by Jim Pace about a year ago and read thru a routine called Punishment. It seemed to be quite novel and right up my alley, but I neglected to attempt the routine with coins in hand. BIG MISTAKE

I recently obtained a copy of Gags 2 and watched the performance of the routine and was floored. I would highly suggest you get both the book and the video......
Just got both, after your recommendation....and have to admit, he actualy fooled me, especially re a certain move..
I made up a solution myself, and he proved me wrong, but what I dreamed up might not be a disadvantage, hmmm, I'll send you a PM re this, maybe you can use the idea... ( I might use it too Smile )
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I believe the "punishment" routine is not only suitable for a strolling routine. I believe it is specifically designed for such a situation. I think Mr Pace likes to use it for a group of people who may not want to see magic. He just walks up and askes them if the would like to see a trick, as he begins the routine. By the time they say "no" he has produced the coins and makes them vanish as he says "ok, sorry for bothering you". People do a double take because the coins come and go before their eyes. Even though they said they didn't want to see a trick. They see one anyway and it gets their curiousity going.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
Producing something only to vanish can work IF that is the context for the object RE it exists for a short time then goes back to where it came from. In a routine called "Trio" in the book Unexplainable Acts by Gary Kurtz, he gives a reason why the coins appear, go across and vanish at the end. It makes thematic sense. Of ALL the exclusive vanish-production sequences (including my own) it's the only one I would do for real audiences. The others are more excercises/ works in progress and pieces for magicians. Don't get me wrong I love these sequences I have found in the real world they don't play as well standing alone.

While I'm sure the routine plays well for Pace in the situations he uses it I don't like the idea of performing an effect then asking if its ok to do one. That seems a bit rude to me (only my personal opinion and is not a judgement on Mr. Pace). I will definately check out the Pace routine for structural and management elements.
Peace,
JTW
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2005-10-18 11:08, JTW wrote:

While I'm sure the routine plays well for Pace in the situations he uses it I don't like the idea of performing an effect then asking if its ok to do one. That seems a bit rude to me (only my personal opinion and is not a judgement on Mr. Pace). I will definately check out the Pace routine for structural and management elements.
Peace,
JTW

JTW,

Check it out. You may like it. It's not really a matter of doing an effect then asking permission to do one. It's basically a simultaneous thing. I believe Mr Pace calls the routine "punishment" because he says that sometimes walking up to a group of business men in a strolling stiuation can feel like punishment. This is a beautiful thing for a situation where the chance that the group is going to blow you off is strong. It's a very neat idea.

Hopefully he will comment on this himself. I'm sure he's glad that folks are enjoying it.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Pachin
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of Pachin
Hey Godhanz how are you. This is Joaquin. I also met you at the PA coin seminar with Phedon.

I met Jim Pace in his lecture six months ago here in San Antonio TX. He performed this sequence "Punishment" in the lecture and yes it was pretty good. However, I remember he mentioned that he made some changes and improvements to the original routine that was in his book. You know how lecturers are. You cannot remember everthing they teach you. I unfortunately cannot recall the changes. However I do remember that when he performed it there were 2 guys standing next to him, side by side. He was using them for some of the other effects also included in his book. I During the vanish of the 3 coins they could not see what he did, so angles are pretty covered.

We might have to bring Jim to this thread so he can provide further information about some of the changes he made.

Joaquin
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1030 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
Although coin magic isn't the style of magic I perform (translation - I am terrible at it), I actually enjoy the routines where coins are produced from nowhere and then vanish. I enjoy coin magic primarily as a spectator and have seen some great routines with people doing just that. Perhaps I am easy to please but it really doesn't take much justification to hook me emotionally on something as impossible as producing something from nothing or to makes something vanish without a trace.

Sorry to hijack your thread Eric.
ME
Jim Pace
View Profile
V.I.P.
Portland Oregon
556 Posts

Profile of Jim Pace
Hmmm, It is always a nice thing to see someone talking about magic, especially if it is something that I created. I have had some terrific emails regarding this routine. Thanks to those who are willing to practice it. It is not at all difficult and it uses something that I think will start magicians creating new ways to vanish items.
I am writting a pamphlet with six effects using this method. It will include Punishment, A bill switch, a card swith, and some transformations with coins and paper.
I think the strength of this routine (Punishment) is in the simplicity. Magicians will most certainly come up with many variations...and that will good to see. This method is already a part of a new close up act with music combining Misers dream, Punishment,13 coin assembly, and a brand new effect wothout a name. All with just coins and a few cards.

Jim Pace
http://www.whiterabbitmagic.net
"The drum that beats the loudest is always the most hollow."
Backdoor
View Profile
Regular user
Bismark, ND
117 Posts

Profile of Backdoor
Marc, If you love it like that, then check out Justin Miller's "Silver Dream," it's absolutely beautiful! I haven't had the pleasure to see Mr. Pace's "Punishment" but I'm sure it must be amazing too if Godhandz wants to know about it, that guy's real good too. I mention "Jussy" here because he is right up your alley also, if you like this stuff. I believe he also has a way of materializing the 3 coins, then magically vanishing all 3 right before your eyes, nice and smooth, and with no gaffs. It's quite amazing, but surprisingly doable I hear.
-Only The Shadow Knows...Y'know?
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
WOW really I always looked over these one I don't know I thought the title threw me away. I might have to look at these. They are in DVD format right? One And Two?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Punishment (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL