The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » What do you think of my Illusion concept? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Greetings all the way from Malaysia!!!!
I'm a Malaysian magician/illusionist... Check out my background info at "The New Arrivals" forum..
I've only built one Grand Illusion,and I call it "The Machine"(!)...
Basically "The Machine" is a step-base with a box on top. Similar in design to Rand Woodbury's "Shadow Dancer"(I think..) although the box on top is "long" not "high"... Think huge microwave oven with industrial/nuclear warning motif on a small dining-table and you're about there,hehe... I've actually used it on national TV twice and it plays surrounded quite well... (haven't performed it too much though afters)
I liked the idea of designing it into a "machine" that "transforms matter" as I have a good plausible reason to keep using the same illusion-prop in the same show repeatedly. The logic is that the "matter transformation" effects (appearances, vanishes, changes etc.) must happen "in the machine" as that's where the "matter transmutation" is taking place,hehe... I'm small physically(5" 1'/120 lbs),so the base is small,a bonus...
Anyhow, I overmade it because it weighs a ton and doesn't dismantle at all.. Afraid to "gamble" with my first illusion so I made it "fixed".. The good thing is that it's sturdy and is believable as a "machine" due to it's size and weight...
So what do you think of my concept? By the way,THANKS for being here guys as it's not easy to be an illusionist here in Malaysia... Peace!
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
That sounds really smart, if you have a "scientific" demeanor in your show. You could use it for several things - save money!
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Thanks!
I think it's a good concept for us "stage" magicians who don't have the funds or the infrastructure to have many illusions but would still like to perform an illusion in our shows for the impact. It'll add to your asking price too. Plus, I can change my script without changing the prop as it's almost a "utility" prop like a TT.. (much, much bigger though, lol!!)
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1307 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
At first read the concept seems like a good one but when I was thinking a bit further a few things came to my mind.

If you use just one prop over and over in the same show, it is propably going to draw too much attention to itself and someone will start wondering whats the deal with the single thing that is always used. Generally illusions are built in a way that they don´t draw attention to the method but in this case thats possible.

Also, when the prop is the same every time, people might feel they just see the same thing over and over. Having this kind of magical machine works with kids fairly well but repeating it over and over might get boring...

Then again, building an illusion sequence which runs for an X minutes and has a story and a structure in which the machine plays a key role, could very well work. In this case still avoid overusing the same prop.

I do understand that the budget is limited-we have all had that-and I am just trying to help, so don´t get me wrong! What you could do, is to dress the prop differently... I have used a few different types of shadow boxes: a classis looking, a rusted industrial look and one made from"granite". The same base, same legframe, same box. We have "shells" that go over the basic version and change the appearence. We had the idea when a special event required the box to be rusted and old-we really didn´t have the money to have a new base-method SB built so altering the existing one became an obvious choice.

I would love to see a photo of your prop btw!
Sent from my Typewriter
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I understand where you're coming from mvmagic. Anyhow, not to worry as I use the prop in the beginning, middle and ending of my show in three different yet complementing styles of performances. First,The "dance to music"-style (my appearance), second is the "audience participation"-style (really..) and lastly the "theaterical-vignette"-style. And circumstances permitting, I vanish myself at the end after the final bows!
Still, once I have the funds.. I'm building myself one more illusion. I have the plans all ready...
Thanks for advice though mvmagic, appreciate it...
KidMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Bradford
183 Posts

Profile of KidMagic
Sounds like a great prop!

Zach
Magically yours,
KidMagic/Zachary Gauthier
www.kidmagic.ca
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Interesting concept, any chance you could post a video of you using it?
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
illusionarium
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of illusionarium
I like it.

pat
owln_1
View Profile
Loyal user
dallas /now live by tulsa
222 Posts

Profile of owln_1
I would like to see a photo or video of it. Owln
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » What do you think of my Illusion concept? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL