The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » DC's "Portal" was right above my head! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Marquesas
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Marquesas
Quote:
On 2004-02-27 15:32, LeeAlex2002 wrote:
Yeah just like how someone always manages to burst one of the balls in "13"...
Just letting you think about it Smile

Do you mean that someone planted in the audience bursted the ball? I saw the show twice last weekend and both times the empty ball was given to the last audience member to enter the stage to create humor.
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Most likely because it was at an arena and maybe to hard to pull it off properly. I saw it in an auditurium and my brother was one of the 13. He was just trilled and and just amazed to meet Copperfield afterwards.

When they went to meet Copperfield. He walked in talked for a little bit to them. SHowing them pictues of what they missed and a video. Then turned off the lights and then the lights went back on and he was behind the whole group. Pretty funny my brother said. Then he gave pictures out and audtographed them.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
seanalexander
View Profile
Regular user
UK
194 Posts

Profile of seanalexander
I saw DC on Friday night in Helsinki and managed to arrange a meet with him after the show! I was like a boy a christmas! BUT I have to say myself and my partner were a little dissapointed with the show! Mainly because we felt there was too much audience participation! It was kinda, "Ok you 2 people sit down and now I need someone else from the audience, round of applause for you, now I need 4 people", etc, etc! Obviously not exactly like that, and don't get me wrong some of the effects were mind blowing and I am a huge fan of DC! Also stooges!! Anyone who does not believe he uses stooges really needs to think again! His whole routine with Webster the duck and the guy shouting from the audience! UMMMMMM!!!!!!! I have to say, I found the duck bucket routine very funny! (Originally I've seen Tommy Cooper do the whole slow motion gag) but it was still very funny! Anyway I'm not here to slate DC and he IS a great performer, just the 2 pointers earlier let it down slightly for me and Vanessa!
I was also a bit disapointed when I finally got to meet him! It was like a conveyor belt! Without much interest in his fans. There were a few people who were allowed to meet him and as I said earlier I managed to arrange a meet with him and his staff were really nice. DC spoke to some female fans and then came along towards us with his PA and she introduced us to him by our names and I stood up and shook his hand in AWE!!! His PA said "David, this is Sean and he is a Magician from the UK", DC said hi and we took a pic with him and then, he moved toward the people next to us while saying "good luck with your magic!" I think I was expecting a bit more, I know the guy is busy, he'd just done an hour and a half show, but I was hoping for a little more interest! It just didn't feel special! The guy that I REALLY look up to, said 2 words and moved on! Was I expecting too much? Maybe he had to get away (back to Jamacia to bring the stooge....I mean the spectator from the audience back! LOL!)
Anyway this is just my 2 pence worth, and again before all you DC fans get ur guns out to shoot me, I am a FAN and I'm not meaning to dis the guy, I'm just a little disapointed, that's all!

We're looking to try and get to Vegas in the New Year so I will try and get to see him again there! Is his show different back home than out here in Europe?

Cheers

Sean
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Well they had the guy yelling in the audieance here at my show. I think it is just part of the show. But he is just plain tired. The guy needs a break... he has the money for the break...

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Marquesas
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Marquesas
I saw the show two times last weekend in Helsinki.
I think the three big illusions (1. The car appearence 2. The portal & 3. The "13") were amazing but the others were just avarage. There was some good jokes but like seanalexander said too much audience involved in almost every trick. The show was 90min but could easily have been 60 minutues without all the talking and searching of audience members to participate.

I would love to see some of the older illusions (flying and others) live. Does anyone know if he is doing them anymore?
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Quote:
On 2004-12-22 13:03, seanalexander wrote:

We're looking to try and get to Vegas in the New Year so I will try and get to see him again there! Is his show different back home than out here in Europe?

Cheers

Sean


I saw DC in Vegas a couple of years ago at the MGM. He recently appeared here in Portland, Oregon and I went to the show here. The two shows were nearly identical. It sounds like you saw the same show I did.

Here is something strange, however, both times I've seen this show he did not do the appearing car. At the MGM, I thought this was just because of space limits, but here in Portland he was on a very large stage and still skipped the car. Talking with a friend the next month, he mentioned how impressed he was when the car appeared. We had gone to two different performance (one on Friday and one on Saturday) and DC had added the routine. I have to say I am dissappointed in this. I enjoyed the show very much, but both times I wanted to see the car appear. I can understand if some technical thing prevents him from performing part of his show, but when he does the effect at some shows and not others, I makes me feel like I didn't get my money's worth.

Richard
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Well the car was damaged in the wreck on the way to Kalamazoo. I was the show that got cancelled but the car was back in the show when he finally came. I think it gives each show a different variety and this tour that he is doing I should say is WAY different the he previous ones. This show includes more audience members than any other show, which is very cool. But I think it is time for a new show because he has been all over and so many people have seen the same things many times.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1829 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Michael....and we were at the first show the day after the wreck, which unfortunately the car had not be repaired yet, so we didn't get to see it.
I completly understand how things happen though. We have had to pull things out of a show before, including the water torture cell, which is what everyone wanted to see. That wasnt fun.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Yeah it sucks when people want to see something so badly but something went wrong behind the scences. Things happen and you have to improvize. I don't know what David did in place of it. But it was just pure amazement. Love to see your show if I am in town when you are doing one.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
I did a pre-show for DC when he performed in Dayton and as part of my contract I got $$$$ plus 16 tickets. He did two shows that night. The first show it PORTAL looked awesome, but the second show it was kind of acting up and after the put it out over the audience they had to bring it back in twice and do some kind of adjustment and the third time it went off balance and started to tip over. It wasn't pretty and DC had to skip it. He did come out and make a couple of unnecessary comments about his crew and said how incompetent that they are. Oh well, that’s show biz.

MDS
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2002-11-07 13:53, Pakar Ilusi wrote:

Flip, I actually liked the fact that the "Portal" vanish was performed above my head(looked like real magic eventhough I knew how it was done!) but you're right... it does "feel" too much like video magic once they get to the beach... It's just way too incredible to believe, just like DC calling up the late Orson Welles in heaven in another illusion..
lawrenceng, I know you'll enjoy his show!

Peace out guys


The "Too perfect " theory strikes again?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Roland78
View Profile
Special user
Torino, Italy
565 Posts

Profile of Roland78
Quote:
On 2004-12-22 17:20, The Mirror Images wrote:
Well the car was damaged in the wreck on the way to Kalamazoo. I was the show that got cancelled but the car was back in the show when he finally came. I think it gives each show a different variety and this tour that he is doing I should say is WAY different the he previous ones. This show includes more audience members than any other show, which is very cool. But I think it is time for a new show because he has been all over and so many people have seen the same things many times.

Michael


I bring this post back from the past because I have seen the show only 2 weeks ago, here in Italy.
You say that he didn't perform the car appearance because the prop was damaged. and this really sounds strange to me: didn't he have a backup car? He's rich as Bill Gates and he cannot buy another appearing car?
Perhaps it's because I'm a computer technician and programmer, and backupping files is the first rule in my job. But the fact that David has only ONE copy of his magical props, really baffles me.

Dave
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
That's a good theory but I really don't know about that, even with the extra money I really don't think most of us would have 2 of each and every large illusion in our show. I can see Kevin Kristen having an extra seamless water tank, and me maybe another motobike but to someone like Copperfield which would be THAT trick that you would have an extra of? The car trick is a very expensive trick but you have to think on the mind frame that , one trick does not make your show a hit. And since DC has a collection of illusions he should substitute some of his classics in with his current show or as he see fit when a prop gets damaged. I seen him in Vegas last year during the WMS and his show was only 60minutes....15 minutes was a self promo/clips
As said he is a GREAT performer but I think he should take a little break and rethink his show, but from what I read in the magazine they don't want to slow the touring down a bit. Go figure
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » DC's "Portal" was right above my head! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL