The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Antitheses (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I have decided to attempt a different type of presentation for the Ambitious Card. I have called it the Metagrobolized Sagacious Card. The basic effect is the card NEVER rises to the top of the deck, each time you try the card is wrong, making you use a different method of transformation (Snap change for instance).

Since the magic shop moved to town and the magicians started appearing, then meetings etc. I have been forced to be a better, more confident performer. I have adopted different styles. I felt the confounded magician would be a bit of a change from the typical. The routine I have developed is pretty good, even by my wife's standards.

Is this really different, probably not. but I thought it might inspire someone, or get some different opinions for myself. I have found a love for routines rather than singular tricks, the only restraint I have is that they must be short enough to keep interest, and not bore. 3-5 tricks, maybe.

What do you think?
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
magicurt
View Profile
Loyal user
alabama
222 Posts

Profile of magicurt
It is always good to be different and creative, but what is important is it entertaining? Does your constant miss and change work to a la audience or does it look like a bunch of excuses? It seems like a bunch of trouble to avoid doing a standard trick. Not to say that is bad, but does the trick play better for your audience? Most audiences don't know the card is suppose to come to the top each time.

Have you considered do the standard ambisious card then missing once and changing the card and maybe missing again and having it turn up somewhere else like the spectator's pocket, across the room in a vase, the card box, etc.?

Think about how you are trying to be percieved and what you are trying to accomplish.

Hey and keep thinking up new ideas, that is great. You never know what they will turn into.

Curt
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I've no idea how many of these transformations you intend to do but I have to agree with Curt. Once is really enough, but that's my opinion.

An idea is to do a rise to top, then bottom,
then a color change and to the top once more.
Then fail four times and each time you do lay the indifferent cards, say a 5, Q, 2, 9 or whatever, face down.
When the four cards are turned face up they're Aces.
I would follow up with Dingle's "Too Many Cards" ending with discovery of the selection. Actually, at this point you can move into a any four ace routine.
Have the selection pop up somewhere later as a surprise.
OR
After the four cards are face down show them all to be the selection via a Flustration count.

So many ways to combine or blend other tricks into ACRs.
Keep up the good thinking.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
My Routine (today) I ask them to THINK of any card, I pick a card out of the deck placing it face down they then tell me the card thought of, My card is TA DA not it. "Well this is a problem isn't it?" says I, as I rummage through the deck. Then I make a little question mark spread the last card is turned over and is their card. I have them replace the card and say that their card will now rise to the top. It does not, but suddenly snaps into their card while in your hand. you replace it now. "We'll try this again" again it is not their card and pop in a completely different manner becomes the selected card. I take two cards out of the deck, place "Their" card in the center none of the three are the right card. I drop the deck in dismay and their card flips over on it's own volition right on top.

In actual practice this only takes a minute or two. but it has a lot of visual magic. In my opinion it also is kind of disarming. Like I said earlier, my wife liked it, and she does not have a long attention span for magic.

I will consider the advice given. Thanks for the ideas
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
magicurt
View Profile
Loyal user
alabama
222 Posts

Profile of magicurt
Back to my 1st statment How does it play to your audience? It it works- use it. Test it on a few others and let us know.

Hey your wife liking it is better than most of my tricks. So what can I say? Besides you have to sleep with her but remember she doesn't have to sleep with you.

curt
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Sounds short and sweet.
Good luck with it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Antitheses (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL