The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Gadabout Coins Revisited - High Praise (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
“Gadabout Coins Revisited” is one of the Ron Bauer Private Studies Series booklets. I just received the new revised version and wanted to say how terrific it is. (I had the older version.)

Moves-wise, the booklet adds a clever handling for one of the “utility switch” moments. It’s more natural, and I’ve never seen it elsewhere.

More important, the premise, plot, script, and handling have been improved to make the routine flow even more seamlessly, be entertaining, and completely baffle an audience.

The routine is constructed so spectators are fooled three times, even as they think they’re catching on. This makes "Gadabout Coins Revisited" a very useful study in how to construct a routine.

The support for the series is also impressive. You can go to http://www.thinklikeaconjuror.com (the website for the series) and look at videos of the moves, as well as download an additional idea for Gadabout Coins that takes the effect in an interesting new direction. My impression is that the folks behind the series really want to do a complete job of teaching magic.

Like many people, I’ve been doing Gadabout Coins since I got a copy of Bobo many years ago. Ron Bauer’s “Gadabout Coins Revisited” is definitely a step forward. Just wanted to recommend it.

Cheers,
Jerry
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Sssshhh! It's a secret!

Kidding aside, Mr Bauer's handling of this classic is fantastic. You're always a psychological step ahead of your audience, the moves are fairly easy to get down with hard practice, and the scripting and blocking is great. It's an absolute keeper.

His other scripts are very good, at least the ones that I have. He's one of those people that I would hope to have to the good fortune to meet & learn from in person someday - as humbling as that would be.
tjo'
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
Quote:
On 2005-10-13 15:17, jerdunn wrote: I’ve been doing Gadabout Coins since I got a copy of Bobo many years ago. Ron Bauer’s “Gadabout Coins Revisited” is definitely a step forward. Just wanted to recommend it.

The illustration of how later thoughts improve effects is also well illustrated by considering an intermediate version: Bill Tarr's "Three in the Hand, One in Pocket" from 'Now You See It, Now You Don't.' Bauer acknowledges Bobo as his inspiration, but I don't recall him mentioning Tarr. In MCM, Bobo says a 1950 Linking Ring explanation by George Wright inspired his Gadabout Coins. The progressive improvement Bobo->Tarr->Bauer seems to me to be a convincing illustration of the huge gains possible when extra thought is given to a basically fine routine. I suspect the evolution would be even more impressive if one considered the 1950 Linking Ring version.
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
"The Comeback Coins" is the routine in the Tarr book. Is that a relative of Gadabout Coins?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
I second the motion. Bauer's Gadabout Coins Revisited is excellent. The Kort "In the Well Vanish" is killer. I showed the routine to a very well posted friend who is really into coins. I had no idea that he would get toasted by the Kort vanish. It's very cool and fits the routine very well.

Mike
Gary Dayton
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
542 Posts

Profile of Gary Dayton
I'm not much of a coin guy, but I do this one all the time. I love the Bauer Private Studies series. It's an excellent series in performance with outstanding tricks. I've learned a lot from these -- can't say enough good things about this series.
AlexanderG
View Profile
Veteran user
No more and no less than
366 Posts

Profile of AlexanderG
The last phase depends on vanishing two coins at once using an "In the Well Vanish". I find this difficult because my coins - rather soft Liberties - still make too much noise. I know one solution is to get even softer coins. Another solution is the Bobo route of vanishing the two coins separately. Any others? Are there any vanishes that vanish 2 coins simultaneously? Thanks.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Does a little noise really matter? The hands are together at that point and I don't think they will be able to tell which hand the noise is from.I used to do this all the time with English coins that were in circulation condition and never got busted.
AlexanderG
View Profile
Veteran user
No more and no less than
366 Posts

Profile of AlexanderG
Thanks. The coins make noise as the right hand dips the 2 coins into the well, yes. But I find the 2 coins also make noise as the right hand moves away from the left to pick up the third coin - and *that's* what bothers me.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2015, Sean Giles wrote:
Does a little noise really matter? The hands are together at that point and I don't think they will be able to tell which hand the noise is from.I used to do this all the time with English coins that were in circulation condition and never got busted.

I agree with you here, my old friend. Smile

I have done this, Bauer's wonderful take on the classic effect, too, and the little, if any noise to it really makes for little difference. Most of any of this perhaps may bother the magician much more so than the specs...They have no clue. Smile

Also, more practice with this will lighten your touch as you do it (Along with the pattering) and help to make you more comfortable with the effect as you present it.

*Oh, and soft coins are nice but not completely necessary as to this. I'm just sayin'. Smile

And welcome to the Café, AG. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I rarely get any noise during this move. Perhaps more practice will help to eliminate the noise?

Jim
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2015, AlexanderG wrote:
Thanks. The coins make noise as the right hand dips the 2 coins into the well, yes. But I find the 2 coins also make noise as the right hand moves away from the left to pick up the third coin - and *that's* what bothers me.

Are you trying to palm the coin? If so, don't. Just let it sit there. You can also try aligning the coins just before they enter the fist. That allows them to go in as one unit...so to speak.

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Gadabout Coins Revisited - High Praise (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL