We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Memorising numbers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
KN_Magic
View Profile
New user
UK
91 Posts

Profile of KN_Magic
Following on from what Silverfire said, if you can involve as many senses as possible during you memorisation and then stimulate those senses again (a certain fragrance, drink etc) you'll have an association, which may help.

But back to cheating: I don't know the specifics of how you present your routine, but would it be possible to faintly pencil your crib on your flip chart or whatever you use?

Kevin.
My candle burns at both ends; it will not last the night; but ah, my foes, and oh, my friends - it gives a lovely light!
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Magic Fingers
View Profile
New user
Blackpool, UK
68 Posts

Profile of Magic Fingers
Didn't really want to start a new thread for this as I can see there are some great thoughts on memory techniques here that I thought I'd Hijack. I'm currently trying to memorise a crib sheet of 52, I need to memorise all 52 words and the position they are at. I have read a few things in the past and have found I can memorise lists of words but I'm struggling to do it when I have to assign a number to it, can anyone point me in the right direction?
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
"My recommendation is to go to amazon.com and buy a copy of Harry Lorayne's Secrets of a Super Power Memory."

Great advice and it still applies.

Steve
numberjay
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of numberjay
Magic Fingers, you need 52 'pegs' to which you'll associate the words you want to memorize.

How you come up with your pegs, is up to you.

Really, get no matter which book by Harry Lorayne and you'll actually enjoy doing it.

'How to Develop A Super Power Memory' was the first book on mnemonics I read and the only one I needed (I know, because I've bought a few others too...)

Numberjay
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
In terms of memory systems the best I have ever come across (and I have studied them all) is Quantum Memory by Dominic O'Brien, eight times world memory champion. Harry Lorayne and Tony Buzan also had useful stuff.
But Nicholas's problem is more basic. He just needs to remember a grid for an effect we all know. Nicholas, are you doing this close-up or stage? If on stage what I did the first time (even though I was confident of my memory) was pencil the numbers lightly in beforehand. None could see them under the stage lights.
If doing this close-up, how about writing the grid on your wrist with red biro? Raise your cuff slightly and you have the information almost at your fingertips.
Another good tip is to print out the grid tiny (postage stamp size) and glue this to your biro or marker. This makes the effect very easy. Good luck with it.
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Tie, Noah, Ma, Rye ( I prefer row), Law, Shoe...

The time, effort and daily maintenance I've had to put in to memorize Lorayne's peg system has paid off ten fold over the years. From learning a memorized deck, to remembering crib sheet material, to just every day life stuff -- I am always finding a fun and useful application for this system. Well worth the effort to learn.
Marcus Nogueira
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
52 Posts

Profile of Marcus Nogueira
Derren Brown recommends some fantastic memory systems in his book Tricks of the Mind.
Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten. --G.K Chesterton
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Write it on a small post it note, and keep it in your wallet...then attach it to a clipboard or somewhere suitable a little before needed...
I've asked to be banned
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8467 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Listen to IAIN and you'll hurt your memory terribly - because you rely on paper not your mind. I must have written that over a hundrd thousand times. You can lose a piece of paper, you can't lose your mind! And if you do, you won't care! I gotta' tell you, I just saw this thread, and it gave me lots of laughs. Incidentally, my book How To Develop A Super-Power Memory (not "Secrets of" - number jay finally got it right) was my firt book on the subject, back in 1956! I've written about 20 on the subject since then. You need to get a bit more current, folks. AGELESS MEMORY (Simple Secrets for Keeping Your Brain Young) is the current one.

TonyB: You have to be kidding. I "also have good stuff"? You say in the same sentence as where you mention rip-offs? Please! And, seriously, folks, if you have to write the numbers on your wrist or anywhere else (I love watch the surreptitious glances when people do this) I'd suggest you do a different "trick."
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8467 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Oh, and I think that perhaps 12 of my books on memory training were published before Derren Brown was born!

IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18822 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I did have a clever come back..but the I seem to have misplaced the post-it note I wrote it down on...
I've asked to be banned
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Buy Encyclopaedia of Card Tricks.
Learn the Nicola system in the back.

Just use the number parts and not the cards and you will have it down in two days.

And you get some really great ideas/presentations from the rest of the book as a bonus.

Jim

H.o.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
numberjay
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of numberjay
I bought 4 books by Harry Lorayne and (shame on me Smile) a few more by Buzan.

I actually enjoyed and learned from both authors, but mnemonic-wise the only book I would have needed is Lorayne's very first one, the first one I bought, although the one I have always at hand (even right now!) is Lorayne's Page-A-Minute Memory Book.

I'll look into Ageless Memory, because I just happen to enjoy Lorayne's ideas and style.

I can't imagine a Mentalist who doesn't master a mnemonic system. It's Corinda's 3rd step to mentalism... for me should be first.

I often read on here about ideas on impromptu, prop-free mentalism effects... what could be more impromptu than an amazing memory demonstration? After all it's for real. I know how people look at you after such a feat...

And very cool to have Mr.Lorayne here!

Numberjay
eb02
View Profile
Special user
670 Posts

Profile of eb02
If you use a board for the effect you can write the numbers on the board and you don't need to remember them... that's my 2 cents tip.
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
I'm about to start teaching 15 + 16 yr old kids various memory techniques at a local school. I got a lot of info here...

http://www.mindtools.com/memory.html

Have fun

Derek
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2495 Posts

Profile of Chris K
I did Chuck Hickok's Alphabet Backwards routine as a speech for Toastmasters on the subject of mnemonics. There are a lot more out there than I even knew (I knew the ones for music from my brief affair with a clarinet, long interlude with drums, and ongoing co-dependent relationship with bass guitar). For example, I never even knew Roy G. Biv.

I read a book on mnemonics for learning a language (actually read part of a friend's book) back in high school. To this day, I can't think of a cart of awful potatoes without smiling.

Let me be honest here, I have two of Harry Lorayne's books. They are excellent, they really are. With that being said, and Harry's going to eat my heart for lunch for saying this, but I'm terrible at using any of the techniques for remembering numbers. I honestly remember numbers best as simply numbers. Most likely it's simply that I get frustrated with the tools (because I end up remembering the numbers before the tools become ingrained or something) but that's how it is. I'm working on it, though.

And I agree with a post written years ago, I can't, for the life of me, understand why they don't try to teach MORE applications of memory work in school.

However, there is a post I disagree with written years ago too. When I was teaching my wife the simple 1-gun, 2-shoe... method, I made sure to only teach her the first 10. She has a bachelor's degree in Genetics, a master's degree, etc. However, by breaking it down, showing her (and her parents, but that is a different story with a different punchline) the usefulness and ease, it made teaching her the other 10 (just to 20) a piece of cake. If I had tried to teach her 20, she may have gotten muddled down in the details.

Just for the record, my wife's parents were adamant no "memory trick" would help them, that their issue was simply age. Funny thing, even though they use mnemonics now, they can still remember that first list. So one must realize there is going to be resistance, justified or not, to this type of approach.

Lem

PS- Just for the record, I'm going back to Harry's books starting this weekend.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8467 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
You may even find a method for learning to "do" the alphabet backwards and forwaqrds AT THE SAME TIME instantly - in one of my books. I also sure would like to see how you would remember, say, a 30-digit number, or a 50-digit number, or pi to the 5000th place - yes, I said 5000th - as some of my students do) by remembering them "as simply numbers." I'd love to learn that. HL.

Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Quote:
On 2009-05-22 20:43, Harry Lorayne wrote:
You may even find a method for learning to "do" the alphabet backwards and forwaqrds AT THE SAME TIME instantly - in one of my books. I also sure would like to see how you would remember, say, a 30-digit number, or a 50-digit number, or pi to the 5000th place - yes, I said 5000th - as some of my students do) by remembering them "as simply numbers." I'd love to learn that. HL.

I love to see you do the PI thing Harry.

-Jim

H.O.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8467 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I don't do the PI thing, Jim - don't have to - what a bore. As I said, students of mine do. They're in competitions, etc. I don't "compete." If YOU do, learn my systems, then you'll be able to do it yourself. Best - HL.

daghank
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of daghank
Quote:
On 2009-05-22 20:43, Harry Lorayne wrote:

May I learn which book it is in?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Memorising numbers (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL