The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Trouble with zombie gimmick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rossini
View Profile
New user
Venezuela
20 Posts

Profile of rossini
Hello:

I'm a magician from Venezuela and recently I've been struggling a litle bit with a gimmick that is the "normal" one: the ...... and a coil for the middle finger. It came with a zombie like the one that Jeff Mc. Bride uses in his video "Stage Magic" Nº3 -very light aluminum ball +/- 5'' in diameter-

My difficulty with it is that though the ball is very light, the weight causes my middle finger to bend a little and cause me some pain... I adjusted it to fit in the mid section of my finger (the "falangeta" , I don't know its name in english). I have to help it with my thumb, but the movements are just not as "floating" as if the finger works alone. Sometimes I'm scared that my middle finger breaks or hurts any way...! -exaggerating a little bit...-

What suggestions could you give me, please...? I love zombie, but I'd like it wouldn't be a question of threat or tension...

Thanks,

Rossini

Puerto Ordaz,
Venezuela
SuperMagicMozart
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of SuperMagicMozart
Ah. Your English is very good. Hablo un poco de espanol. No hay una palabra como "falangeta" en ingles. (Espero que yo dije que quise decir.)

Um... I'm not overly familiar with the zombie ball. However, I will say that it will probably become easier over time. Perhaps you could find a way to extend the coil around your first and second finger, to give extra support?
Eric Buss
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Eric Buss
Get rid of the coil gimmick. Get some strong copper tubing that comfortably fits over your finger(s), cut two pieces about one inch in length each... epoxy, or solder these tubes together, and then solder or epoxy them to the length of steel rod. Putting two fingers (your 2nd and 3rd fingers) BOTH into the tubes will help control the ball, and make it easier for each finger to take the weight of the ball.
four elements
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of four elements
General Grant sells a gimmick that does the same as above. Also you can try a smaller ball.
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
Couple of tips:
1. Use a very light foulard. I have noticed that I can manipulate a zombie ball with a gimmick with a lot less pain when I don't use a foulard then when I do use one.
2. If you do keep practicing with the (for lack of a better word) crappy gimmick, you will get use to the pain.
3. There are many other gimmicks out there which are easier to use. One of which is similar to the 2 finger gimmick above. Another is attached into the foulard and the hand holding the foulard corners manipulates it from there (also leaves you "gimmick free") There is the Losander Gimmick (or maybe it was Tommy Wonders?) I have heard that is the best gimmick.
4. Forget the zombie ball and go buy a 300 dollar Sphere Smile lol

Derek Merdinyan
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
Yes, the original gimmick has very poor (and painful) leverage. The General Grant gimmick makes it much easier and makes the effect look better because of the ease of handling.

Also, as someone else mentioned, the Tommy Wonder/Losander gimmick is very good and works on a slightly different principle.

I don't know if these are readily available as I have had the Grant gimmick for 40 years and the Losander gimmick for several years. Encore Magic used to sell the Losander gimmick.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
Tommy Wonder, Tommy Wonder, Tommy Wonder!
Neil Foster needed surgery after developing carpel tunnel. In fairness, he also spent several hours at a drafting table and the typewriter, but, the gimmick didn't help matters. Though Zombie is a relatively short routine, the hours of practice is what causes damage, by fatigue and overuse. I can tell you (knowing Neil) he would have used Tommy Wonders innovation.
The old gimmick has been improved to eliminate some of the problems associated with it, including clunky moves.

Kregg
POOF!
rossini
View Profile
New user
Venezuela
20 Posts

Profile of rossini
Thank you very much to all of you for your answers. I live in Venezuela and there could be a little difficult to get the items you have mentioned. Could you provide me with some links of stores that deliver to my country...?

In the mean time, I'll try to solder another coiled rod for my third finger. We'll see...

Thanks again,

Rossini
rossini
View Profile
New user
Venezuela
20 Posts

Profile of rossini
Quote:
On 2005-10-13 22:37, DerekMerdinyan wrote:
Couple of tips:
1. Use a very light foulard. I have noticed that I can manipulate a zombie ball with a gimmick with a lot less pain when I don't use a foulard then when I do use one.
2. If you do keep practicing with the (for lack of a better word) crappy gimmick, you will get use to the pain.
3. There are many other gimmicks out there which are easier to use. One of which is similar to the 2 finger gimmick above. Another is attached into the foulard and the hand holding the foulard corners manipulates it from there (also leaves you "gimmick free") There is the Losander Gimmick (or maybe it was Tommy Wonders?) I have heard that is the best gimmick.
4. Forget the zombie ball and go buy a 300 dollar Sphere Smile lol

Derek Merdinyan

Yes, I've noticed that that the foulard provided with my zombie is a little heavy... I'll try another thing...

Do you know any store that sell the Tommy Wonders or Lozander gimmick that can deliver to Venezuela?

What is that 300$ sphere? (!!!)

Thanks for your help and time...,

Rossini
rossini
View Profile
New user
Venezuela
20 Posts

Profile of rossini
Another relationed questions:

If you use two fingers (2nd and 3rd), what about the "disappearence of them? I mean, when you use the middle, the rest of the fingers are showing in front of foulard and the left hand copies that...

How do you place your hand if you use two fingers?
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
Hold the cloth by pinching it between the thumb and index finger

all other fingers are behind.

or put the gimik on the ring and pinky fingers- but I have found that the pinky just doesn't have enough strength- No pinky counting for me.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
The standard Zombie gimmick is an injury waiting to happen. I used the General Grant gimmick - no stress on the fingers and it's easy to do the standard moves.

I like the Losander gimmick. It helps to create such a compelling illusion of floating, that the other two gimmicks just don't match. Although it is difficult to do some standard moves with this gimmick, it eliminates the need to do those moves, because of the illusion it creates.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The wire should travel along the second finger. This will give you leverage to hold the gimmick up. You may have to bend yours around so it is in this direction. This does away with the pain aspect.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
2 fingers must support the gimmick if using the older style -

I use an older gimmick with it on the 2 nd finger & supported by the3rd-no pain at all-also I have wrapped a flesh coloured bandage around the inside & outside of the coil-very comfortable & wont be seen if you flash your hand while in motion etc

Use the lightest foulard possible-creates the illusion better of the ball floating & doesn't hurt your fingers with extra weight
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
I have been using the "standard" gimmick, and the same one I might add, for 24 years now. I did have some discomfort in the beginning, but I believe this is more a case of conditioning than anything else. I can go for months without touching my zombie, but when I do, it's as easy as if I had done it only a day earlier. I believe I just had to get used to how it feels. The foulard I use is actually about a medium-weight fabric.

I briefly tried multi-fingered gimmicks, but they really limited the types of moves I could do, so I abandoned them. I don't really know anything about these new gimmicks that are being touted above, and they're probably great, but as far as the "old-fashioned" type, it has served me extremely well over the years. Zombie is my "pet trick", and I have performed it (and won numerous competitions with it)over a thousand times, and all with the good ol' standard coil gaff.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2005-10-18 14:32, wmhegbli wrote:
The wire should travel along the second finger. This will give you leverage to hold the gimmick up. You may have to bend yours around so it is in this direction. This does away with the pain aspect.

I tried that but the pain never went away. That's why I replaced the gimmick. Pain is a sign of a problem.
magicurt
View Profile
Loyal user
alabama
222 Posts

Profile of magicurt
I love the original gimmic. I have never had a problem, but some people who have had trouble have a gimmic where the support rod from the coil doesnot rest on top of the index finger. Always make sure the index finger is supporting your gimmic. Use plier to bend the wire if it is made this way.

Curt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Trouble with zombie gimmick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL