The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Angles at the dinner table (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Malcolm Kavalsky
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Malcolm Kavalsky
Which routines do you do at a dinner table when you are sitting with people on all sides (except behind), especially real close on your left.

Last night I was in this situation, and all I could think of was Hanging Coins. Here at least keeping the coins at eye-level worked well.

What are your favourites ?
Checkout the Bobo Project at:
http://kavalsky.net:3834/OpenBobo/
Clip index at:
http://planet.nana.co.il/openbobo/
Jamie Schoolcraft
View Profile
Regular user
Palmdale, CA
136 Posts

Profile of Jamie Schoolcraft
Translocation
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Fechters Flying Eagles

Mike
perceptions
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of perceptions
Evans' The Eagles Have Landed
2thepoint
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of 2thepoint
The "Evans' The Eagles Have Landed" is also my favorite routine to end with.

This routine is perhaps one of the best versions of the Winged Silver plot: where four coins travel from one hand to the other and finally, to the spectator's closed hand. In the Evans routine the coin(s) travel TWICE to the spectators closed hands. The method uses an expanded [ and another gimmick coin, along with an Al Schneider subtlety. What's helpful, is that throughout the routine, every other coin is being used as a "wand" to mask the moves.

Also, turning over the traveling coins to tails side up (or as Malini would say: wings up")pyschologically sells the invisible traveling of the coins -- a small detail that enhances the overall effect.
Gene B
View Profile
Regular user
Sacramento, CA
194 Posts

Profile of Gene B
"The Eagles Have Landed"--Where is this written up??

Gene B
Gravity--It's not just a rule--It's the Law!
Malcolm Kavalsky
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

How do you prevent spectators on your left from getting a flash of palmed coins in your right hand ? Remember they are real close.
Clip index at:
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
Coin trho' table, Gadabout or All screwed-up, ungimmicked S&S, holy moly...
catch you later

Clarioneer
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Quote:
On 2005-10-15 05:08, Malcolm Kavalsky wrote:
How do you prevent spectators on your left from getting a flash of palmed coins in your right hand ? Remember they are real close.

This is what makes the fingerpalm so valuable...especially when sitting at a table. Your angles are so well covered. If you do need to classic palm...keep the hand palm down as much as possible.

Mike
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
There are two effects involving a glass in Kaufman's "Collected Almanac".
"Iced" and "Cocktail Time (?)".

Most of Roth's Coins Across will work. For me his "[ Coins Across". In a situation like this I usually bring my Quarter[.

Lots of C/S routines work as do commercial tricks like "Dime and Penny", "Double X" or Acer's "Spare Change". Most of these I mention use US coins though.

Using stuff on the table in combo w/ coins: glass, cloth napkin, the table itself etc, is good.
Lapping even in this situation is not out of the question as long as attention is elsewhere. "Coins thru Table".

The old effect where you cover a coin w/ a glass and napkin and end w/ the glass going thru the table is always good.

Best,
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-10-15 01:32, Malcolm Kavalsky wrote:
Which routines do you do at a dinner table when you are sitting with people on all sides (except behind), especially real close on your left...

This is one of the reasons that make Edge Grip attractive and as Mike pointed out FingerPalm very practical.

One strategy that seems useful is to make one's magic move from your right TO your left. And fully direct your attention to the results of the magic. Another strategy you might apply is to engage the audience member at your most vulnerable angle and get them into the routines and ask them questions as the routines move alone. This directs their eyes up to you as you ask them and directs them to the rest of the group as they answer about what is where etc.

Hope this helps, -Jon
...to all the coins I've dropped here
2thepoint
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of 2thepoint
Gene B,

I was at a recent motorcycle convention in Phoenix, Arizona. There was a small booth where two young guys were "pitching the Svengali Deck" and a crowd had gathered because a group of three hecklers were demanding to be "fooled".

In the background, this older, huge guy (standing 6'7" ?) comes out of the booth and approaches the hecklers. I'm thinking that he's the bouncer. He walks up to the group with a big smile, asking: " you want to see something very special".

He opens an antique coin purse, and mist/smoke comes rolling out of it as he reveals four Walking Liberty Halves.

With the three hecklers surrounding him, he(Evans)did his version of the Winged Silver plot. He had me fooled with his unique use of an Al Schneider subtlety.

He ended the routine by taking one of the four coins from the spectator's closed fist and made it travel back. Then repeated the same effect again in a very visual way. The novety of this second phase effect is that the [ is being used as a convincer (for the second coin) while setting up the other coin. Evans actually placed the gimmicked coin on the spectator's palm and gave a slight upward tap on the spectator's palm to visually make the coin travel.

I don't use the gimmick. The routine with the patter and handling is perfect as is.

After introducing myself as a fellow magician. Evans mailed me his manuscript of THE EAGLES HAVE LANDED, free of cost. Great guy.

I will PM you his mailing address.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27145 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-10-15 10:54, 2thepoint wrote:...He opens an antique coin purse, and mist/smoke comes rolling out of it as he reveals four Walking Liberty Halves...

Wow! BIG SMILE HERE Wonderful! Bet that made many people's day special.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
GREAT STORY.... now there's an example of real magic. Geezes now I gotta get Jamie to make me a flipper. ARgh... (as soon as the insurance pays me)!

Wait... maybe Joe can make one out of a poker chip for me... aha... Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Malcolm Kavalsky
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Jon,

Thanks for the tip on concentrating on the specs on the vulnerable side. Great idea to keep their eyes from burning my hands.

Jaz,

I wouldn't be able to lap in this situation since it was a rectangular table, but probably this could be done if it was a circular table.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Clip index at:
Rob Elliott
View Profile
Elite user
Reston VA
487 Posts

Profile of Rob Elliott
Why can't you lap at a rectangular table?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Angles at the dinner table (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL