The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » My first time with silks - bogunia (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of dmagic
My first time with impossible hank and dancing hank
I thing I need more practice before I do it again ....

Impossible Hank & Dancing Hank
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
Looks pretty cool, I would get rid of the smoke, in this instance it's overkill and almost a distraction.

Work on polishing your routine through more performance and rehearsals. You seem to have a nice little routine down.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
When the ultimate dancing hank is on your shoulder---Pause to allow the effect to sink in and then let it come down

When the Impossible hank is on your shoulder- have it higher like on your shoulder not on your chest

Yep I agree- get rid of the smoke

Some of the girls that walk past are pretty.

I think you gottaq communicate to the audience exactly what you are doing- I don't understand a lot of what your body s doing
shorten the pauses in between the Ultimate and the impossible hank.

Have more moves with the impossible- The "rest position" is good- I found it easier to learn than the behind the back move.

One last thing- If you are going to dance with it- Make sure you can actually dance- other wise it takes away from the magic

I think if you are going to do it get rid of the Microphone so people can see your facial expressions and your smile.

or the confused look on your face when it doesn't do what you want it to do.

I close with my Hank so I take my Mic off which does cover my mouth or sometimes I just bend it out of the way.

Facial expressions help the audience know what is going on.

cheers and keep practising

Dave
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I know when combining UDH and Impossible Hank timing is important. Heck, timing is crucial throughout both versions. Try to shorten time when switching to UDH as you cover it. Took a while before introducing UDH as you held cover in front of Impossible Hank.

Before relying on musical cues, I actually had to count seconds in my head to know when the IH 2.0 would do what I had programmed it to do. Plenty of practice and it became second nature. You know what that's like Smile When not practicing with the actual equipment and set, I listen to the music used, and have a mental step by step rehearsal in my head. I go through every move and every second in my head. Idealy the performer and the hank should seem to have minds and characers of their own.

As mentioned, have the hank rest on your shoulder and not your chest. Use of the sitting stool is always great.

Icentertainment suggested one should know how to dance before doing so in one's act. Don't take offense to that as it's true and a helpful critique. I can't dance so I let the hanky do most of that. I have a five second waltz with the hank on my outstretched elbow and the rest is a comic mimic dance as it does what I do and vs. versa.

Keep up the great work! Always have loved dancing hank routines and effects.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Oh I can't dance either- so keep it simple

less waving of your arms and use more control

You can get more time out of it if you start slow like slow motion and then speed up a bit instead of just doing it fast straight away.

OOPS The rest position is with the Ultimate not the impossible
Kellar
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Kellar
Guys great post, now...is this a product that you would reccomend. Would I be better off to buy new or look for something sleightly used? All help appreciated.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I must say this is a good presentation of a new effort for you. Just watch the video and compare what does not match. Such as you were whipping the hank and the mechanical verson was not whipping as much.

Get closer to the hank when you have it on the table, as it took me a few minutes as to what you were doing with the hank. Then it dawned on me you were instructing it to move a certain direction. I believe this can be more apparent by moving closer to the hank.

Lastly, when the hank clings to you, react to this a little more. It seems to me that you are saying (through your actions) see it is on my coat now!

Develop an attitude and personality between the hank and you. It sounds corny but I think that is what is missing.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Kellar- I would reccommend it-

The Dancing cane (yes I know what I'm saying) is a full body trick- as in the whole body moves.

The Dancing Hank is similar in it's not just a "here's a trick and I fooled you" you gotta learn to more with it- and to react to it.

The dancing hank is not just a moving hank- it becomes a personality and like a puppet

I recommend it because I think your entire magic will improve by learning about it.- It will improve the way you think about tricks.

BUT It will take some practise and then some more practise but the ultimate DH is a pro magic trick.
Kellar
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Kellar
Wow, I have to give props to Sean for his timely response to my email. He answered all of my questions and was very gracious. Icentertainment, thank you so much for the reccomendation, and your comment on practice was well recieved I do believe that this will help in staging and structure. Thank you all and I will post my findings after it arrives and I delve into my practice session.
David Kellar
dmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of dmagic
Sean Bogunia is heart of gold !
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of knmagic
Dmagic, you said your first time with impossible hank and dancing hank. So in your video clip you used the IH and the UH? Darn, I thought it was just the IH then it would be very good....for me...Cause I just bought it.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Sean bogunia is the best

Great Products

Great services

speedy service

if only this guy ran a full magic shop
SBogunia
View Profile
New user
Niles MI
42 Posts

Profile of SBogunia
Thank you very much!!!!!
That's how I want my customers to feel about me and my products and are service.
+ I want the whole world to see that hanky dance!!!

"The dancing hank is not just a moving hank- it becomes a personality and like a puppet"

this is so right!!!
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
Keep up the great work Sean. Any other "Hank" effects you working on besides the already released PTS?

Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
dmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of dmagic
I order from sean
animation sensation 3

now I have all 3 items for great routine !

thank you
david
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
You did good for your first time. You might want to find an assistant to help speed up your timing on certain moves. Try to find one who dances good. A solid black backdrop with your name on top is what I will prefer. And try and keep the stage 100% clean with props you don't need at the moment, especially when recording with a camcorder. Prop the camcorder and tripod up on a table. You'll never know, a clip can be used for part of a promo. Just use the fogger for your ending in a size place like that because the audience will think it is smoke instead of steam. Keep practicing the dance moves. Good outfit and music.
Shane Baker
View Profile
New user
nigh on 20 years and I've made a measly
81 Posts

Profile of Shane Baker
Nice work.

Having a 20th century computer and connection, I can't view the whole video clip. But if you go through it yourself, you'll find little places where you can polish it up a bit. At the very beginning for instance, your own dancing seems to distract a bit from the appearance of the hanky. Going back to your script and sharpening the different characters (magician/hank) and dialogue (if you will) will help this. Perhaps it pops up first, you react, and then try to coax it into dancing with you -- you shake to show it, then look to see if it does the shake, then you both shake together, something like that. Otherwise its motion gets a bit lost, and it's really the star of the bit.

You might also look at the moment when you're introducing the foulard -- pick up of the foulard could be a bit smoother to fit the rest of your actions, and I wonder if it's possible for you to arrange the beat:
foulard descends over IH (think that's right, don't really know the individual effects), and perhaps that hank can be ditched precisely then, with the second hank poking its head above while you're still at the suitcase or box. With that second hank's head peering out above the foulard, you then move away from box... etc etc. Either that or a bring out and display the foulard on the count of one, cover the first hank on two and move away on three...

Excuse my rambling, but I think it's an exciting routine. With time, and work on sharpening each bea, you'll have a really wonderful piece of theater!
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-11-07 03:33, SBogunia wrote:
+ I want the whole world to see that hanky dance!!!

You should do a tour and people can see the dancing hank from the best
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » My first time with silks - bogunia (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL