The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Training (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicguy67
View Profile
Loyal user
mEL.fLORIDA
287 Posts

Profile of magicguy67
OK I'm sure this has been asked before but how do I train my dove to fly one hand to another or fly around the room and land on my hand and how do I stop it from flying away from me?
they thought it was impossible until they met me.

theres no reality in magic

did the magician come before the assistant or the other way around.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5131 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Magicguy, from the sounds of your other posts and the PM's you have sent to me, you are very new to dove magic. I appreciate your enthusiasm however, I would suggest that you purchase some books or video's on dove magic before getting started. Most of them will answer this type of question which has been asked many times on this forum. Here's is a short list of excellent ones to get.

Tony Clark Unmasked I and II
Andy Amyx Doves 101
Encylopedia of Dove Magic
General Grant How to make a living stealing...Doves of course
Shimada on Doves

There are many more but these are good to start with.
Where the magic begins
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Here's some previous discussions in the Café regarding training doves:

Dove Training
Fly-back Training
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
It seems that nothing makes doves feel safer with you than T-I-M-E. Be around them often. Let them ride around on you. Become the safe place to be. Doves enjoy staying put.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
dmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of dmagic
What the difference you know about Greg Frewin ?

Quote:
On 2005-10-16 19:36, Dave Scribner wrote:

Tony Clark Unmasked I and II
Andy Amyx Doves 101
Encylopedia of Dove Magic
General Grant How to make a living stealing...Doves of course
Shimada on Doves

There are many more but these are good to start with.
Johnnie Blaze
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Johnnie Blaze
The difference is Greg gives you all the info (very in depth). He walks you through from start to finish. I believe Frewins DVD is a must have for all dove workers
I certainly learned more from it then all others combined. But don't take my word for it there are many posts about it. Look it up.
all the best
John
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20493 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Contrary to younger opinions here Greg Frewin did NOT invent the genra of dove magic.

The books recomended earlier will be a great starting place in addition to Gregs stuff.

Lance Burton basically does the Shimada stuff. Channing Pollak was pretty good at it too as I recall. Don't go to one source, go to all of them. That was what Dave was correctly pointing out.

Your knowlege base will be better rounded if you research it and develop a fundamental basis for yourself rather than one source.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5131 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Magicguy is only 13 and just starting out from what I've been able to gather about him. Greg Frewin's DVD is $150 and that's a lot of money for a beginner to spend. The vid's I recommended will give him all the information he needs to determine if dove magic is right for him. I would much rather spend $40 on a vid and find out I really didn't have all that is necessary to be a dove worker than spend $150 for a complete course that I will never use.

Greg's DVD's are great and teach quite a bit but it is also based on his experiences and knowledge. That doesn't mean it's the best out there.
Where the magic begins
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20493 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If your still reading, Dave is providing fantastic real world sage advice here.

As is his habit.

PLEASE Take him seriously.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Johnnie Blaze
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Johnnie Blaze
Danny nobody questioned Dave and his advice. He does give sound advice. I own these dove products of which he speaks and if I had it to do over again I wouldn't purchase them I would stick with the Frewin DVD's I find they are more in depth, more informative and someone studying them could build a solid act from these. I don't find that could be done from any other. As far price yes, Frewin's is more expensive but to me worth every dime.
just my opinion
all the best
john
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5131 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
John, you're looking at this in restrospect. You already had the resources I mentioned and had gone through them before purchasing Greg's material. For a person just starting out as Magicguy is and knowing nothing about the subject, Greg's DVD's could be overwhelming. You must crawl before you walk.

I think if you had it all to do over again and had all the information in this topic, I believe you may have followed the same path. I could be wrong, but I can't imagine anyone jumping into the advanced material before understanding the basics. That's what we're all trying to get across to magicguy. Remember he's only 13.
Where the magic begins
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20493 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
All sports and all forms of training tend to stress the basics, the fundamentals. Dove magic and most magic is a lot like geometry. You must know the first lessons before going to the more difficult ones.A solid foundation is nesessary to build a good solid house.

Nothing wrong with the Frewin stuff, but as Dave has said, basics first.

Plus he needs to know if he wants to do it anyway. May as well spend about $40 insead of more pricey stuff at 13.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
magicguy67
View Profile
Loyal user
mEL.fLORIDA
287 Posts

Profile of magicguy67
I'm going to get Shimada on Doves. Is this good for someone new to dove magic?
they thought it was impossible until they met me.

theres no reality in magic

did the magician come before the assistant or the other way around.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5131 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Shimada on doves is a good video to study for technique but he doesn't go into a lot of basics. There's a brief discussion on training but nothing about raising or the care and feeding of doves. He demonstrates some basic steals and presentation methods.

Tony Clark and Andy Amyx are good for beginners as I've said before.
Where the magic begins
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
I am as well 13 years old. The vids I have are Ian Adair's Art of Dove Magic, and tony Clark's Behind the Seams. I found Ian's kind of boaring, since he only talked about aparatus. Tony Clark's was very good though. I was woundering how much money I should spend on vids and reaserch before I start into dove magic. I don't want to rush it, but I would like to know when it is time to just start to get experience in the field. My budget is kinda small. But I would like to have a good, small, but excellent dove routine. I am also kind of confused about invisible dove harnesses. Some people say they aren't safe. But others say they are? I would also like to know what some good beginning effects are. Not just dove from silk, dove from silk, over and over again. it seems like that is all you can do without an invisible dove harness and that is all people use sometimes. I am not trying to rush into it. But I have been reasearching and thinking about it for about a year and am ready to take action. Please help.
Thanks a lot!
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5131 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
You can't put a dollar figure on when you are ready to start. I would invest in the Tony Clark's Unmasked and Unmasked 2 and also Andy Amyx's doves 101. Those pluse the vids you already have should give you a good knowledge of what is required, what can be done and start you thinking about exactly what you want to do.

I wouldn't start out with invisible harnesses though. Look at some props like drawer boxes, dove pans and such. They aren't that expensive and will get you used to working with doves. After that, you can work on dove steals and such.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Training (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL