The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » French Arm Chopper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
gvmeihoff
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of gvmeihoff
Does anyone have a good routine for the French Arm Chopper? Please let me know of a general one, not just for Halloween.
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
I have a great routine.
PM me I will make an mp3 and email to you.
It is to long to write it out.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Very nice of you to offer someone a routine idea. Just whenever anyone gets a rouytine idea from someone, always ask permission and really strive to change it enough to make it your own. Not every routine will fit your personna on stage and so you must learn to adapt what will work for you. Thanks again for offering to help. This is why the Café is a great place for magicians to help magicians.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
You are right Kyle.
He has asked this ame question on different posts, he has not PMed me.
Just trying to help.
Harry

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
benafito
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of benafito
Hey I'm also very interested in your routine, perhaps I'll also send you a PM...
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
I am not sure I fully agree with Kyle.

If someone is kind enough to give me their personal routine (and is not competing for my customer base) I would not change the routine in most cases.

I would want to give him (or her) the respect do, for the kindness of sharing. I often give credit to another magician, even though the audience has no idea who I am talking about, it is a sign of respect. In fact, I think that, in some cases, making the trick “your own” is a bit pompous.

Bob
benafito
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of benafito
I disagree with you Wellington...I agree with Kyle, you should personalize every routine to your personality. If you don't it would be like you are just doing someone else's show. Personally, if I was going to give a full routine of mine to a person, I would not want them to do my exact routine, I would like it if they changed it around to make it fit their personality. But, that's just my opinion...
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I agree to disagree and that is what makes the Café a great place. I was only stating that a routine in the hands of one entertainer is NOT the same great routine in the hands of another magician. The reason lies in the fact that both performers have completely different styles and personnas on stage. What works for one will and may not work for another. This way you really need to take a routine and adapt the routine so that it best fits you and who you are on stage. You learn to change things around to best meet your needs and to best deliver on your character and what your character would do in certain cicumstances.

To just do someone else routines without changing anything and without giving it any more thought, does nothing for magic but create magic clones. You audiences deserve more from you then just that. Be creative. And if you are going to use a routine you have gotten permission from, then you still must really adapt the routine for you.

Just my thoughts on this.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Quote:
On 2005-10-17 17:02, benafito wrote:
I disagree with you Wellington...I agree with Kyle, you should personalize every routine to your personality. If you don't it would be like you are just doing someone else's show. Personally, if I was going to give a full routine of mine to a person, I would not want them to do my exact routine, I would like it if they changed it around to make it fit their personality. But, that's just my opinion...

Quote:
it would be like you are just doing someone else's show.

Your “show” should be for more than one trick with which you decide to give homage to someone who’s work you admire and who has given you permission to use their trick. A trick is not a show. A show is all the things you do around the tricks.

I do “tricks” that Chris Capehart has shown me in my linking rings routine. I do not need to “put my own spin on them” to make them “my own” just to make me feel that some how it is my move not his.

Most of the magic in a show I do is mine as are most of the moves. They have been honed by 45 years of practice.

But many TRICKS I do within a routine and show are done as taught to me by some great magicians. My ego does not force or push me to make them all “my own”, who would I be kidding.

I do Davis Roth’s Chinatown Half EXACTLY as he taught me. It would not be hard to put some kind of spin in the routine to “make it mine” (in fact I often to on some tricks) but I do not need to prove that I am more creative than all of them just to stroke my ego.

I am glad I do many of David Roth’s routines as he teaches tem (surrounded by my patter) and if he walked by a table I was working, and saw that I was doing his routine just the way he demonstrated it on a tape that I purchased or a lecture I attended, he would (and should) feel honored.

Bob
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Wellington is correct, or Bob, whoever he is. There are some top line magicians, one in particular who is very well known and on this board, who do routines as they were taught in books or lectures etc.. By doing the routine the way it was honed (dang, I just saw Bobington used the same word) by years of experience, to change it for the sake of change is not advisable and actually falls into the catagory of ignorance. Obviously the presentation will match the performer as it always does the experienced worker. I'm not talking about a kid who does his Ammar impersonation on one routine and his Daryl on another and finally closing by pretending to be Greg Wilson. You should present the routine in your particular style, keeping w/in your character, but just changing the works? That is like rerouting your fuel line in your car to dump into your radiator, sure you get to claim you did it your way but you are not gonna get anywhere.
Steve V
magicmanila
View Profile
New user
Washington DC
88 Posts

Profile of magicmanila
This is one of the reasons why I don't like watching other magicians performances either live on TV nor video. oh and I seldom read the instructions of my magic props either. by the way I think my french arm chopper is broken everything I put in the hole gets cut? Smile
PERFORM MAGIC AND NOT "PUZZLES" so the audience wont try to "figure out how its done".

KEEP THE MAGIC ALIVE!!!
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Quote:
On 2005-10-18 05:50, magicmanila wrote:
This is one of the reasons why I don't like watching other magicians performances either live on TV nor video. oh and I seldom read the instructions of my magic props either. by the way I think my french arm chopper is broken everything I put in the hole gets cut? Smile

I hope you are being sacastic when you say your arm chopper is broken. Smile
It gets me lots of laughs when I use it. I like to build up the tension. So much so, that everyone can't wait until I chop, even the victim.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
giochi
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of giochi
Welington has valid points.
in this business, so much of what we do is based on what has been done before us. Rountines and ideas have been honed down by many magicians over many years. it is important that we respect that labor which form the shoulders upon which we stand, all the while interpreting magic to fit ourselves and the world as it is today.
magicmanila
View Profile
New user
Washington DC
88 Posts

Profile of magicmanila
Yes nucinud I was Smile the arm chopper is still one of my all time favorite prop.

true story:

there was this clown once (who wasnt really a magician at all) who was made to perform the arm chopper routine at a birthday party by his greedy boss. he forgot to set it up (L type gimmick), and when he dropped the blade, the birthday buy got cut. then the father of the boy punched the clown on the face
PERFORM MAGIC AND NOT "PUZZLES" so the audience wont try to "figure out how its done".

KEEP THE MAGIC ALIVE!!!
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Quote:
On 2005-10-19 16:16, magicmanila wrote:
Yes nucinud I was Smile the arm chopper is still one of my all time favorite prop.

true story:

there was this clown once (who wasnt really a magician at all) who was made to perform the arm chopper routine at a birthday party by his greedy boss. he forgot to set it up (L type gimmick), and when he dropped the blade, the birthday buy got cut. then the father of the boy punched the clown on the face

Fun story but...

What kind of Arm Chopper was it. Every one I have seen has been VERY CAREFULLY designed not to be able to do that, and none of them could cut a child.

Bob
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
For the very best Arm Chopper routine of all, you have to spend the money to buy a Collector's Workshop "Power Chopper". I actually had a kid (outdoor, festival stage show) start crying when he saw the spectator's (actually the MC for the day) hand fall off and bounce off the stage. His dad brought him "backstage" for me to explain that everything was okay. Didn't know whether to be a nice guy, or just go with it...I explained to the kid (who was about 5 at the time) it was just an illusion. Probably should've told him not to play with power tools, right?

Just ask Walter Glod.

Steve Thomas
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Quote:
On 2005-10-19 20:26, Stevethomas wrote:
For the very best Arm Chopper routine of all, you have to spend the money to buy a Collector's Workshop "Power Chopper". I actually had a kid (outdoor, festival stage show) start crying when he saw the spectator's (actually the MC for the day) hand fall off and bounce off the stage. His dad brought him "backstage" for me to explain that everything was okay. Didn't know whether to be a nice guy, or just go with it...I explained to the kid (who was about 5 at the time) it was just an illusion. Probably should've told him not to play with power tools, right?
Just ask Walter Glod.

If I found out a child was crying from seeing the Arm Chopper, I would not need to think anything over, I would NOT have to think “whether to be a nice guy, or just go with it”, I would have been out to see the child right away.

I like the Arm Chopper, but not for 5 year olds.

Bob
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Wow...things must be very serious in Philly these days. I guess we really need to NOT try to make a joke out of anything around this guy, huh? Never mind.

Steve
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Well Steve.. actually things are not so serious and things are just fine here in Philadelphia. =) At least for me they are. My wife and I have had a wonderfully successful season so far and we can not complain at all. The only thing serious might be the serious fun I am having with my audiences and my clients. =)

Kyle
Kyle Peron

danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
Which arm chopper would you suggest.
At the moment I use the hades finger hopper to great success. I usualy don't use it for the under 5's.
Whne I do use it I build up a lot of suspence and add plenty of humor.

so which chopper looks the best for over 5's?
Thanks,
Dani
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » French Arm Chopper (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL