We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Paul hariss' "pain" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
Hi, in AOA book 1, there is an effect pain where the performer slams his hand down on the pin you get the idea,
is this safe to do?
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
That was originally in his 1977 Super Magic book, ( I have a copy) and from what I've read here, it seems most people won't do it. I think the exact instructions aren't extremely clear, there's something to it you have to do, that you might miss, (there is an earlier thread on the Café regarding this trick, try a search), and if you misunderstand ... ouch. I'm kinda foggy on it though.
The trick is actually Harry Eng's.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
What is it that he uses, a tac?
enigmaticmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle
313 Posts

Profile of enigmaticmagic
I would never do it... Its way to risky for my tastes, But if I remember right its a SHIRT pin, and you have to @@@@ your palm first.
zallen
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of zallen
I've done it...once. It was an extremely nerve-wracking experience, but now that I've done it, I would say that I would probably do it again. It worked for me, but I made sure to find a pin that wasn't all that strong to begin with.
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Is it something close to "A dangerous opener" described in the Coral Fang?
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
Can it be done with a tac?
zallen
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of zallen
It is not a tack pin. It is a straight pin, much like one what you would find in new dress shirts when you take them out of the package.
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
Well that sounds really bad, that could just as easily peirde skin,
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
I assume the one I performed years ago is the same or similar to Paul Harris' version. I don't remember where I learned it, but it was a long, long time ago. I was a teenager and dumb enough to try this. You stick a pin in the table. Then you slap your hand on the pin. There is a small secret here, which will prevent injury (which I almost just gave away -- I edited it out). PM me if you want to know. The pin will bend, about 90 degrees or more (as I remember). You might get a little wound in your palm, but it is so slight that it doesn't bleed. Your hand hurts a bit from the slap, not the pin. It is impressive and not as dangerous as it seems. Thanks for reminding me. I probably shouldn't attempt it again as I am on a blood thinning medication, and I might bleed now.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Scattered Dream
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of Scattered Dream
Pkg

It's not like "A dangerous opener" by Luke Jermay. If anyone one would want to try this, first slap the pin to see if it would bend with a sandel or shoe. If it doesn't bend you'll be glad you didn't try with your hand, lol
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Chickens! I do this all the time, especially for people who start bragging about breaking boards in karate.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1421 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
"Chickens! I do this all the time, especially for people who start bragging about breaking boards in karate."

Um, that wouldn't be bragging now, wouldn't it ? Smile

This is also found in Scarne's Magic Tricks, no. 91 "The Unstickable Pin". Signet books, $3.95 paperback.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Quote:
On 2005-10-16 23:58, johnjnesbit wrote:

"Chickens! I do this all the time, especially for people who start bragging about breaking boards in karate."

Um, that wouldn't be bragging now, wouldn't it ? Smile

This is also found in Scarne's Magic Tricks, no. 91 "The Unstickable Pin". Signet books, $3.95 paperback.

Yes, you are right, and that's apparently where I learned it.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
Almost Amazing Doug
View Profile
New user
Pullman, WA
78 Posts

Profile of Almost Amazing Doug
Yep, learned this many years ago as a kid, smarts just a little but have never punctured myself with it. The pin has always bent or flown out from under my hand. Last did it three or four years ago, I think.

I used to pair it up with "pin in crotch of elbow," which usually gets just as strong of a reaction. I still do the pin in elbow every once in awhile; I always have my elbow with me, but finding a large wooden tabletop in which to stick the pin for the first effect doesn't occur that often anymore...darn laminate tabletops anyhow! Anyone else remember or perform the pin in elbow? PM me if you'd like details on the elbow trick.

Doug
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I have to read up on it again but it sounds like the one they did on mondo magic. I beleave they got hurt or acted like they did. But I could be wrong.
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
Yeah I did it, started with a straightened out paper clip and then a pin with a ball head then a normal one, doesn't hurt much if at all!
Thanks for all of your help, what size do you guys use?
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
I should have picked up on this earlier, but in response to Almost Amazing Doug's post, the "pin in crotch" must hurt a lot! Oh, my mistake, it is "crotch of elbow." Whew!
Almost Amazing Doug
View Profile
New user
Pullman, WA
78 Posts

Profile of Almost Amazing Doug
LOL, Bill!

I can't believe I hadn't thought of that in all these years.

Doug
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
Yeah does is not peirce the skin I tried it and it feels like it is gonna peirce my skin,
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Paul hariss' "pain" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL