The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Awkward moment with blooming bouquet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
It's one of the strongest effects in my kids show but I'm getting tired of this - "those are feathers, not flowers!". Are there any funny lines to get through this?
Mike Perrello
DC Area's Leading Family Entertainment Expert
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
"No they are real...real fake!!!"
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
I usually start by saying that my wife bought me some flowers for my birthday, and asking if they would like to see them. If someones says "They're feathers," I can say "Yeah, I know -- I've got a cheap wife!"

Ok, so I probably wouldn't say that line, but something similar might work.

Brian

PS. What kind of flowers does a henpecked husband get? Chicken Feather Flowers! Smile
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I think everyone is right on with this. I think you need to provide a bit of comedy at the start that will get a laugh but also let the kids know that you know they are feathers and that it is ok that they are feathers by getting a laugh aboutit. The kids tend to react until you react back and let them know it is ok that they are feathers. They want to feel important and to be acknowledge when they get something correct. By adding comedy lines or acknowleding the feathers at the beginning of your routine, you should be able to overcome this barrier.

Perhaps you play directly off the fact that they are feathers and use that as a basis for your routine. for example...

" The other day I wanted to be my bestest best best person I could be because I wanted to give my mommy some flowers for her brithday. oooooh awwwwwww. So I went down to the store top get some. On the way home I realized why they were so cheap... They were not flowers at all they were feathers. I had bought a feather duster instead. Oh no!!!! No wonder they did not smell too goog. EWWWWWW. Well now what am I going to do to give my mom something really nice... I wanted to give her flowers but this feather duster will never grow flowers... I guess I should just put it away..."

This then gives you a reason to turn around and have the flowers start to bloom. The kids will react because they are now placed into a situation of correcting you and wanting to do so. But, you are giving them a chance to. And, because you are reversing the pyschology on them, you are using the fact that you know they are only feathers so therefor the flowers could never ever grow rom them. Your changing it around in this fashion should allow you to have fun with the routine and get the reactions you want.

When the kids scream there are flowers.. you can turn around and go.."where, where where?? oh no this thing.. naw it is only a feather duster and only here so I can dust off my head.. it's getting hot up here.. I will just put it away and dust my show up latter." Of course it happens again adding to their delight.

Now this is not a perfect script by any means, but can show a way to get around your problem in such a way as drawing attention to the fact that you know they are feathers and not flowers.

Hope it helps.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7408 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I must chime in her. I suspect that this remark is caused by the use of the blooming fuzzies that have been flooding the market her. They are cheap and used by clowns everywhere.

I have never had that remark directed at my blooming in over 25 years of doing it.

BTW, When I made Tina Lenert's blooming duster. It clearly started as a feather piece but bloomed green foliage and 11 red roses of which she removed on and put in her hair. Tina made the magic happen with the prop not the other way around.

Kids are not dumb. Fuzzies to not a flower make.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
I really appreciate the clever lines and I will have to try them next time this situation comes up... until I can afford the nice ones that Richard sells. Thanks.
Mike Perrello
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7408 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I don't mean to push my product. It is just something that I never ran into.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Deke Rivers
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Deke Rivers
I use it to my advantage. I acknowledge right out of the gate that it's not a real flower, it's made out of ... (all together now) FEATHERS! I have some fun talking about the advantages of feather flowers (they don't wilt, I don't have to water them, etc.) then I mention how, even though they are just feathers, they will magically bloom!

Richard, I agree you make beautiful items, but I think you'd agree that nobody would ever confuse them with real flowers. I think it's the presentation, not the prop.
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
I've never had that problem. They never have yelled that they are feathers. But when they bloom and I don't see it they go nuts. But then I'm using it as a demonstration of the fertilizing power of Doc Grayson's Ancient Secret Indian Elixir and Medicinile Panacea (thats right folk's Docs Gasie) and its ability to cause bushes to bloom immediately. Of course it doesn't and I have to add more and more of Docs Gasie until it actually does bloom where I can't see it and then all pandemonium breaks out.

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
I believe the quality of the prop does matter and greatly enhances the trick if you have a great presentation and people watching appreciate a magician who uses only the best. Most of the people that hire me live in nice homes, own expensive cars, etc and they always watch the shows along with the kids. They can sense the difference. Just my opinion - If you can afford the best, then buy it, if not, then use what you have to your advantage.
Mike Perrello
macmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
MA
400 Posts

Profile of macmagic
Because of all the cheap ones I actually switched over to "flashlight fun" which gets a bigger reaction, kids don't yell out there feathers and it always looks good! I was paying 40 dollars for blooming bou. that were real crappy, when you do this full time 35 to 50 shows a month they do not last long!
I tried everything I could think of, made special cases to carry it in so it would last longer, but they kept falling apart or just looking ratty.
So like I said I switched over to flashlight fun and now alls I have to do is change batteries once in a while!
"Its a magic thing...........you wouldn't understand"
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7408 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Your point on the crappy bloomings is well made. That is why I started to make a few manal bloomings.

I had guys, like you, that were buying one a month and soon realize the cost of my unit which held up.

So which was a better value? You get what you pay for.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
But value and quality isn't the topic ... audience reaction is. No matter how good the quality, I've *never* seen a feather flower that passes for a real one. So it boils down to how do you handle the situation where the audience is responding to the prop? As Kyle and Deke have stated: develop a routine that addresses the problem.
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Well, this bird hit my car...
Do you ever wonder what happens to old muppets?
(Or act shocked: "You're right! Hey, who took my flowers...these are gross!")
Lofty
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
128 Posts

Profile of Lofty
Never had anyone call me on feathers.. however I introduce my blooming flower like this,...(kind of similar to how Kyle does)

"Readers Digest version"
Ask the kids if they want to see my beautiful flowers, they say yes.
I bring them out(unbloomed) and a big smile, look at the flowers, make a puzzled face and say, "oops, that's my feather duster," after dusting off a few kids I attempt to bloom (with no success) then go into the under the arm routine Look/dont see). After several looks have the kids magically make the flower appear.

Lofty
honus
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of honus
I had this happen - I just said, "Yes, they do look like feathers, don't they?" and went on with the act. Nobody seemed to mind.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I think all you really have to do is change your routine to adress the issue upfront. If you are worried about the kids reacting to them as not flowers, then you be the one first to tell the kids you know they are not real flowers by adding that into your routine and your patter. In my version mentioned above, I counter the problem by deliberately using reverse pyschology on the children. I play it up that I wanted to get these great awesome and beautiful flowers for my mom etc and when I got home I realized all I had was a feather duster. Now by saying this, I am telling the children that I know it is just feathers and I state that it can not possibly bloom as I go to put it away. In this light, I encourage and empower the kids to correct me.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
A cheap alternative to the blooming bouquet is one of those flashlights with a rubberized head (just like the ungimmicked one in the Trever Lewis "Flashlight Fun" routine). Turn the light on and unscrew the head until it just goes off (before the show). Offer to put the star of the show in the "spotlight" (which in my case is the birthday child) but the batteries are dead. Then with a flick of the thumb on the side of the head you can turn the light on as you put it under your arm.

When the kids say it's on you accuse them of teasing you and pull it out, flicking the head the other way with your thumb to turn it off. This way you can show them the batteries are dead by turning the switch on and off in front of them!

It works well by itself if you want to save money, but the gimmicked Trever Lewis flashlight is well worth the extra cash. I too changed to the Trevor Lewis "Flashlight Fun" to get away from the "Blooming (feather) Bouquet and I love it, but I added this touch for the kids that yell "You're turning it on!"
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Awkward moment with blooming bouquet (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL