The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Palmistry - what is it and how does it work? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
If you are looking to learn palmistry for entertainment and you only want to buy one book, that book should be Richard Webster's Quick and Effective Cold Reading.

I have been paid both as a scientist and as an entertainer. Take it from me, you get a much wider and more appreciative audience as an entertainer. The only reason that I would pursue any of the "scientific basis" for palmistry is that it would enable you to give a free, informative lecture for luncheons at the Rotary, the Kiwanis, the Lions, etc. You then hand out business cards for palmistry readings, and make good money from giving free talks. This way, you are showing people that you are a well-informed, modern individual, not some muttering old gypsy (no offense to the muttering old gypsies who read this forum).

Yours,

Paul
brianp
View Profile
New user
canada
25 Posts

Profile of brianp
Dr Wilson is 100% correct. For a scientific background track down Dr. Ray Hyman>
In the meantime read palms, have fun.
Brian
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
Quote:
On 2005-10-24 11:34, drwilson wrote:
The only reason that I would pursue any of the "scientific basis" for palmistry is that it would enable you to give a free, informative lecture for luncheons

Is there no overlap between scientific and entertaining? I am admittedly ignorant and naive about palmistry and mentalism in general, but I'm hopefully looking for a concise reference to statistically valid inferences based on observation (of the hand, other normally exposed body parts, or people's mannerisms), e.g. bitten nails correlate with nervousness; painted nails with vanity; dirty with gardening or mechanics. I'd naturally want a booklet that is more insightful, but these truisms are suggestive of the vein, i.e., no astrological/tea-leaf stuff please, even though such drama might enhance one's presentation.

Though A C Doyle needed dramatic rather than factual insight has anyone critically summarized Sherlock Holmes’ 'instant inferences'?
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2038 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Quote:
Is there no overlap between scientific and entertaining?
They are certainly not mutually-exclusive. Science can be very entertaining, but I think it unfairly is often thought of as boring and stuffy.

Quote:
I'm hopefully looking for a concise reference to statistically valid inferences based on observation (of the hand, other normally exposed body parts, or people's mannerisms), e.g. bitten nails correlate with nervousness; painted nails with vanity; dirty with gardening or mechanics.

Beyond basic common sense ("bitten nails correlate with nervousness") I wonder if one truly can get accurate information about someone from their hands. If so, surely this wouldn't be hard to test. A palm reader could look at a person's hands (with their bodies hidden behind a curtain to avoid giving clues via body language, facial expressions, how they're dressed, etc.) and write down specific impressions about the person based on their palms. A reader could do this with 10 or 20 people, and then see how accurate the impressions were.

Quote:
The lines of the hand act as a sort of circuit board of the brain. Neurosurgeons tell us that these lines are caused by nerve endings in the palm. These nerves stem from the middle brain, where the two hemispheres join. Therefore, every thought you have, conscious and unconscious, is reflected in some way on your hand!

I'm still curious about the science/neurology angle of palm reading. Anyone know more about this? Alexandre? I did some searching to find more info about the first two sentences above, but I couldn't find anything. Anyone?

-Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Palmistry - what is it and how does it work? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL