The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The strangest thing you saw in a magic shop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Don
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Don
The strangest thing I saw at a shop,was when I meet Joel Bauer at Denny's in Baltimore. It must have been around 11pm and Joel came into the shop. We talked for a while,he was very down to earth and then he did a card trick for me and another 2 that where in the shop,I was so surprised since it was late.

Don
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
It's hard to top some of these stories, so I won't try. The last time I was in a magic shop was a year ago in San Francisco. I went to Misdirections, which I highly recommend. They have a coin-operated fortune telling machine in there (just a crystal ball with lights, not a mechanical grandma), which is a great thing to have in a magic shop. Non-magicians drop by for a quick fortune sometimes.

Yours,

Paul
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
I can tell you strange somethings random laypeople saw at my local magic shop a few weekends ago (Sat before Halloween).
I was playing with my new Spider Pen... and the shop had a number of random nonmagicians [customers, window shoppers] coming in & out all day. At one point my friend was behind the show cases making use of a close-up mat on top. I was playing with the idea of telekinesis and making objects [like a single playing card] cross a tabletop and come into my hands. While doing fancy in-the-hands cuts, he drops all of his cards onto the mat I was also using. Same card back design! So I start making one card from the opposite corner of the mess come towards me and finally jump into my hands -- and a few people saw it and wowed. But I brought no attention to myself. ;P
In the shop, their biz cards are in giant martini glasses. I started to make one biz card move around in the glass, then made it float stright up & out, hovering for a few seconds in midair. One girl saw this and stared, drop-jawed at the sight of a floating biz card. I snatched it out of the air and handed to her, "Take one."

--Diavo Smile
I'm not just a magician, I'm an interpreter of Reality.
Underground, above ground, whatever. I don't need a label, thanks.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Ross, that was my bed of nails that Denny was selling for me! I built it over a long weekend for a Halloween show. Then I loaned it to a performer traveling a season with a small carnival. You, like a lot of people, had some fun just trying it out. I agree lying on that bed of nails and having Babe sniffing your face can be a bit unnerving!!!

Hey Jeff, at the rate this year is flying by July will be here sooner than either of us plans! How are the shirts coming? I think that next year it will be the kilts (rather than drop my drawers to show the tattoo)!!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
I don't do kilts, my legs have been sentenced to a life of darkness under pants legs. Althogh the ladies in the lobby would probably like to see "HARRY?? HARRY IS THAT YOU" in <or out of> a kilt. For those of you out of the loop here must come to the 2006 FUNARAMA HTTP://www.martinismagic.com It is a lot of fun and I think there are a few tickets left.

NUMS
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
I once saw some adult toys being sold at a local magic shop.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
???? Arn't all the toys sold in a magic shop "adult toys"?
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
At Magic Inc. in Chicago, they have the most flea-bitten, mangy, decaying Rocky Raccoon I have ever seen. It's missing an eye, fur is falling off of it in chunks, one side of it has rotted away to show the spring inside that looks vivdly like a ribcage. Basically, this things looks like something you'd have to scrape off a bumper. I have heard some stories about how the fellas had this rotting husk of a thing out playing with it and little girls were running out of the door screaming! Which is understandable. I mean, how many living, moving raccoon zombies have you ever seen?

I also occassionally get calls at the shop I work in inquiring if we can "get rid of ghosts". I tell them, "Yes... for $45,000." Who knows, maybe one day somebody will take me up on it.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
The strangest thing I ever saw at Houdini's magic shop there was a worker magician actually doing slight of hand WOW this was a first..
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Quote:
On 2005-11-18 07:18, Harry Murphy wrote:
???? Arn't all the toys sold in a magic shop "adult toys"?

Yes I know most of the magic sold at a shop are for adults but I'm talking about another kind of "adult" toys. Like inflatable love dolls and the likes.
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
The Secret being shown before purchase is made! Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I saw this group of people who actually got bored with 15 minutes of picking a card over and over and over.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Joe Russell
View Profile
Veteran user
Buffalo NY
397 Posts

Profile of Joe Russell
Quote:
On 2005-10-18 01:30, Michael Baker wrote:
Strangest thing I ever saw in a magic shop was a local magician buying something. Very rare, indeed!

I worked at a shop for 3 years, that is so true!!!!
Who is Tattoo Joe?
Joe Russell
View Profile
Veteran user
Buffalo NY
397 Posts

Profile of Joe Russell
THE magic shop were I worked at for 3 years had an assortment of customers: A fat lady, A male stripper, A sword swallower, Paul Mcartney impersenator, professional wrestlers, transvestite, a bag lady, a midget, a coke addict with a vintage sting ray auto mobile, and last but not least a few GOOD magicians but that was rare.
Who is Tattoo Joe?
Paolo Venturini
View Profile
Veteran user
Lucca (I.) - New York City
385 Posts

Profile of Paolo Venturini
Back to Miami, I've had a magic and pranks shop. The store was in a mall and on weekend full of children that "assaulted" the shop buying any kind of pranks (wonderful business); unfortunately for me, like every places, there was some elements that they used to steal from the rack on the wall, so I decide to place a camera, so I could prove the offences. You are not going to believe how many people, every day, asking for the price of the camera...

Magically,

Paolo Venturini

http://www.jokermagicweb.com
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
My girlfriend....(she isn't a magic fan)
David43
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of David43
You wont believe this but I was once in a magic shop and I swear I saw someone actually buy something.
I Put a Spell On You
David43
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of David43
I must learn to read a whole thread before I post, Michael Baker beat me to it
I Put a Spell On You
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
As I'm working through old threads, came across this one and just had to add...

A few weeks ago I stopped in at Chattanooga Magic & Fun shop while on the road. Having a great time talking with the owner Barry, when he gets a call asking for directions. A short time later two guys walk in...one of asks Barry to recommend some tricks he could do: only one catch...he's blind.

Well, Barry's got shelves, and boxes and backroom full of supplies and so he starts bringing out various effects and we all start brainstorming. As I had chance to talk with him found out he's a blind minister that performs magic to demonstrate to kids that they can face any challenge. He eventually settles on a few things (including a PK ring that he gave me some hints on how to best use) and him and his friend leave.

Strangest thing I ever saw in a magic shop, and most inspirational...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
A woman buying some magic tricks and flash paper...for herself!

The shop owner dressing as a gorilla so he could stand by the side of the road leading into his shop in order to attract customers.

A guy coming into the shop dressed as a Criss Angel look-alike

Some professional magicians coming in to buy some much needed supplies.

I'm sure I could probably come up with some more given time to think about it.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The strangest thing you saw in a magic shop (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL