The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Bobo's modern or new modern? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mastrobottegar
View Profile
New user
Italy
2 Posts

Profile of mastrobottegar
Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, or new Modern Coin Magic. I've found a store that gets only modern coin. Should I buy it or spend time searching new? What's the difference?
Unfortunately there isn't so much choise in Italy.
jocce
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of jocce
I got the original MCM and has never seen the new version but I heard it contains some extra material. But really, the original MCM's got enough material to keep you busy for a long long time.
Aaron Moring
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
165 Posts

Profile of Aaron Moring
New Modern Coin Magic has a few extra chapters (One on more gaffed coins, one on some routines by the "Big Names," and a few others. Maybe one on boxes, tho I am not sure). Also, the NMCM is hardbacked, and looks much nicer on a shelf. If you check eBay, they have them frequently for $10 + SH. Might be an option. After getting NMCM, I gave my paperback copy to a friend.
Aaron
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
NMCM stays open on a table easier. This makes learning from the book less of a hassle.
tjo'
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27140 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
If it's just a cost issue, pick up the paperback for now.

When you get a chance, the first Galloway book on Ramsay's magic is also inexpensive.

There are lots of inexpensive goodies around. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
I am getting Bobos Modern Coin Magic. Is that the better one to get?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
The "New Modern Coin Magic" has four additional chapters and, from what I understand, the other 16 chapters are the same as the original.

The new costs about three times as much.
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Again - think about it - the paperback does not stay open on the table when you read it. Your hands will be full most of the time when you're reading this book for obvious reasons. The hardback stays open for the mostpart.

So it costs, what, $20 more - and you're going to be using this book for say the next 40 years? So that works out to like 50 cents a year to eliminate the hassle of having the book pop closed every time you try to learn something with coins in hand. Think long term! 50 cents a year! That's a bargoon at any price!

(Or you could be like Milt Kort and get a piece of glass to place over the book while it's open, to hold the pages open - and you'll want to be like Kort after you read this book).
tjo'
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Or get one of these things:

http://www.bookgem.com/home.htm

http://www.ezbookclip.com/index.htm

http://www.bluezap.com/pageflip.html

http://www.thatbookthing.com/index.html

I use a little folding plate holder as a book holder, works like a champ.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Jeez, and at $19.95, that works out to be 5 cents cheaper than my 40 year estimates!!!

(i may have to order one of those)
tjo'
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
The fancy ones are 20 bucks. The other ones are cheaper. I don't have one of those but they look nice. I think the little plate holder cost me about 5 bucks. Those clothes hangers for pants...the ones that clip together work pretty well also. If the book isn't too thick.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Menthol
View Profile
New user
*Cough*Delaware*Cough*
33 Posts

Profile of Menthol
Take it to your local copy place, get the spine cut and bound. I don't charge much for this at my job, about 5 bucks. The book lays nice and flat, and as long as your not throwing it around and kicking it, it'll stay nice forever....as long as it was nice to begin with.
mastrobottegar
View Profile
New user
Italy
2 Posts

Profile of mastrobottegar
So I finaly bought just Modern. I shuold have searched too much to have NMCM, for more cost and not so much differences. I think this will take me occupied for very time; I've to translate it too... Tanks everybody
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Bobo's modern or new modern? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL