The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Magic Special:Sounds AMAZING really. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

unilogo
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas , NV
359 Posts

Profile of unilogo
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9695333/

Penn and Teller.

Read Full story on link.

Apperantly they will reveal how they do the illusions. I am guessing this time its the whole show!? INSANE....

Oh yeah I LOVE MY BAD BOYS OF MAGIC.
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
373 Posts

Profile of Bill
This doesn't suprise me. What suprises me is that everybody loves Penn and Teller and hates the Maked Magician. I personally can't see any difference between the three of them.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
I can. One of them doesn't talk. So much the better for that.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
unilogo
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas , NV
359 Posts

Profile of unilogo
I too can see a difference...

Masked magician=PURE exposure, no means or motives for doing so other than to get RICH. Exposing a lot of magics great effects and often used methods.

Penn and Teller=Unlike MOST magicians have a reason for doing magic. They are being pioneers and showing new ways of performing. If they do expose, it is a REALLY exposed,overused, or rarely used method only to blow your mind and make the effect look more impossible by doing the same thing in a more impossible matter.Most of the effects are original Penn and Teller too, so really it's not that BIG of a deal.(Like EVERY single effect in that show from how it reads so far!)

Different enough?

I think so.

I will continue to call Penn and Teller two of the GREATEST magicians EVER.If not, dare I say, THE BEST.
boomassacre
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of boomassacre
Most of the time when they do a reveal, its just a set up for something more grand.
I'm telling you the truth, I swear....
MrBiddle
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of MrBiddle
In their Cups and Balls, it becomes a flourishy feat of visual eye candy or sleight of hand when they do it with the clear cups, notice that they actually explain the mechanics, well Penn does the talking rather - but does it very fast you couldn't make out what he's saying...
I would, however contest that there is in REALITY very little pportunity to perform what could actually be termed "close-up" magic.
- Guy Hollingworth
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
I have a life, or I would have more than
366 Posts

Profile of nums
Magicians expose every day...you can go to any magic shop in the world and fork over money and they will tell you how its done...that is how I first learned and you to probably....

Jeff
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2005-11-13 22:01, nums wrote:
Magicians expose every day...you can go to any magic shop in the world and fork over money and they will tell you how its done...that is how I first learned and you to probably....

Jeff

Without getting too heavily into the "exposure" of P&T(I'm not bothered by it much), there is a distinction. Think about it.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
366 Posts

Profile of nums
Both were done for money...Unless a specific magician does not want his trick exposed (he keeps it unto himself alone) all magic is up for exposure. As far as I know (I could be wrong) Metemorphisis does not belong to any one person. Many companies SELL many different styles and all one has to do to find out the secret is do what I first said PAY THE $$$. I also am not botherd about it either, I am just stating what I see. If a certian trick (as P&T said there is no magic) such as DC's laser was exposed, I believe that would be wrong, it belongs to him and him alone...if it was out on the market it is already expoed if you have the $.

Just my thoughts
NUMS
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Sorry NUMS you don't understand. Forget it.
nums
View Profile
Veteran user
366 Posts

Profile of nums
AHHHH but I do...

NUMS
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
No, no you don't. You don't understand the distinction that I am trying to point out. What you have posted above may be true, but that has nothing to do with the distinction that I have in mind. In regards to your post that I quoted.

Don't worry about it. Someday you may be sitting somewhere or driving down the road and it may "click".

Vandy
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2825 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
It's the cheese factor of exposure...if you use colorful props...you may be exposed!

NP
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
The bottom line is...exposure is exposure no matter what the motivation. They did an AMAZING illusion where a tractor trailer runs over Teller. You actually see the wheels of this thing drive over Teller as he is lying on the ground. This illusion must have taken a great deal of time, money and thought to put together. So what do they do of course.....expose the method. It served absolutely no purpose whatsoever. They're both idiots.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2005-11-15 23:56, Harv wrote:
The bottom line is...exposure is exposure no matter what the motivation. They did an AMAZING illusion where a tractor trailer runs over Teller. You actually see the wheels of this thing drive over Teller as he is lying on the ground. This illusion must have taken a great deal of time, money and thought to put together. So what do they do of course.....expose the method. It served absolutely no purpose whatsoever. They're both idiots.

For those who understand no explanation is necessary.
For those who don't no explanation will suffice.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
Quote:
On 2005-11-15 23:56, Harv wrote:

It was their own illusion,so they are free to do what they like.Also they only expoose when the method is more interesting than the trick.I doubt very much that they have hurt any magicians with their "exposure".I havent seen a lot of what they do but it seems its done in a knowing cheeky way and not with malice.
I do recall them "exposing " cups and balls with clear cups and when I performed it to someone soon after and they were still no wiser!
MrBiddle
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of MrBiddle
DC bought the rights from Steve Fearson's "Splitting Image" for a lifetime I guess.....

He exposed too.... but he did it to exploit the advantages of TV... by planting audiences all AROUND him.... that's probably why he took it out of his show... unless he'd like to make modifications and bring it back some time later on.
I would, however contest that there is in REALITY very little pportunity to perform what could actually be termed "close-up" magic.
- Guy Hollingworth
madmanmike1
View Profile
New user
Canada (Ontario)
94 Posts

Profile of madmanmike1
Harry, you say they expose "without malice" I'm usually a P&T fan but I found thier under the sea show full of malice towards magic and magicians. They continualy called magic, the typical magic shows, and certain tricks "Cheesy" I think that's malice. Who cares about the exposure? It happens all the time, every day in some form or the other. What I find worse is the feeling they give to laypeople about magic after watching thier show. I make my living off of magic and if people start thinking it's cheesy I lose gigs and have a difficult time feeding my family. I'm sure only a small percentage of my audience watched the show, but they might have been clients and with all the public shows I perform I'm sure they will be part of my audience at some point wispering negitive comments. A friend of mine went to see them in Vegas and right in front of the theater they had a sign saying "ask me about my thumbtip" then they gave everyone in the audience a TT. They taught the entire audience the wrinkled red rag bit- again who cares if they are willing to learn. The problem was the crass way in which they did the exposure removing all respect for the average working magician.

Disclaimer- This is not a reply to Harry's post,nor a flame of it -just my thoughts
This is my opinion of course.
I watched and taped "P&T under the sea special"
I have seen a picture of the T.T. sign
I am stating hearsay on P&T's presentation of the red rag trick
"it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Magic Special:Sounds AMAZING really. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL