The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Tabary (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Palle
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Palle
I am a big fan of Tabary's rope magic. I have his two videos and was wondering if he might have some lecture notes as well.

I have searched the web for them but didn't find any.

If someone in this forum have information on the notes or other Tabary material I would be wery interested to hear about it.

Thanks,
palle...
Megatherion
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of Megatherion
Hi,

Yes he sells lecture notes, they cover his stage act and a knot routine.

Yours faithfully,

Smile Dan Kirsch Smile
Palle
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Palle
Thanks for your message Dan. Do you know where I can buy a set of lecture notes?

palle...
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1510 Posts

Profile of Claudio
You can get his two videos
Here!
Bradley Morgan
View Profile
Special user
Toluca Lake CA
701 Posts

Profile of Bradley Morgan
Hello

I was wondering if his rope routine, performed on WGM, is on his videos?

Thanks

Brad
"I do not know with what weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones." - Einstein
Ozer4
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
331 Posts

Profile of Ozer4
Yes, his rope routine from World's Greatest Magic is on his videos. It takes a substantial amount of time to make his routines look smooth but it is time well spent. The only flaw in most of Tabary's routines is that they are really long. For table hopping you just can't beat jumping knot of pakistan or David Williamson's ring on rope, they're quick, direct, and amazing. Tabary is more of the rope magician's dream since his magic is so clean and so incredibly fooling. However, the routines are somewhat modular, though you'll have to be creative if you want to cut down the phases without missing out on alot of the great effects. Smile
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
Tabary's rope routine has closed my act for several years now. To say it KILLS is an understatement.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I agree, I have fooled magicians with the Tabaray routine. I have done it for lay audiences and it does kill. It is well worth the time to learn the routine. It took me about six months to get the routine to a point where I could show it to magician friends and an additional three months before I was comfortable showing it to the public. I will suggest one thing however, this is a routine that plays much better for an adult audience rather than a children's venue because of the lenght of the routine. Little ones just can't handle the time without getting bored. Just my thoughts.
Jim Tighe
View Profile
Veteran user
West Virginia
360 Posts

Profile of Jim Tighe
I have to agree with Darkwing. I practiced for months to get the original Tabary routine down and when I performed it for a 5th grade class show, not even midway through the routine, the kids in front were saying "when will this be over?". But I was stubborn and continued to tweak and perform it, leaving out one or two elements and my wife would constantly say your show is so good , except you need to drop the rope routine. Now for shows where the kids are 9 or older I do a cut and restore routine and it gets a good response. I've found that the response is much better when you actually cut the rope several times and toss it out to conclude as opposed to the non-cutting resettable methods.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Jim,
Thank you for your response. I too have found a good C&R rope routine is good for young children. I do a sort of a hybrid of several C&R rountines from Dan Harlan, Jeff McBride, and Duane Laflin and it plays very well for children in that it is not too long. I think we have to remember that our teens and children live in the remote control MTV generation.
Jim Tighe
View Profile
Veteran user
West Virginia
360 Posts

Profile of Jim Tighe
Sounds like we've been down the same path. When I saw Harlan's vid where the pieces are constantly dropping on the floor and the finale. I knew that part of it was going to be the basis for my routine. I always step back a few paces to keep the little hands from grabbing the pieces early. Of course they love when you throw them out (and the rope) to conclude.
Craig Chamberlain
View Profile
New user
Michigan, USA
49 Posts

Profile of Craig Chamberlain
Has anybody found a source for a larger diameter, supple white rope like that used by Tabary?

I tried working with the larger diameter rope from Camirand a few years ago. It felt great but it was already cored and therefore would go flat. The flatness would occasionally result in a kink in the rope, which is a problem in the Tabary routine when the rope is moving but people aren't supposed to realize it.

At last year's SAM convention I was able to ask Tabary where he gets his wonderful rope and he said "France."
Grant
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Grant
You can order amazing rope from the Camirand Academy in Longueil, Quebec; a suburb of Montreal. Just go to http://www.camirandmagic.com/

Have fun,
Grant
Craig Chamberlain
View Profile
New user
Michigan, USA
49 Posts

Profile of Craig Chamberlain
Grant, I have tried the Elite Magician's Rope stage diameter 10mm (0.40 in) from Camirand. Have you performed Tabary's routine using this rope?

Camirand's Elite Magician's Rope feels amazingly good in the hands, but it had the cotton core already removed. Rope without a core sometimes loses its roundness and goes flat. When it is flat, it is easier for a twist in the rope to become folded over on itself, forming what I described as a "kink."

One of the deceptive principles of the Tabary routine is that a length of rope can be sliding when the audience doesn't realize it. If there is a kink in the rope and it starts moving, that sort of gives things away.

Another distinctive feature of Tabary's routine is that it uses a very long length of rope. The longer the rope, the more likely the problem with getting a kink in the rope.

I tried taking the cotton core from some other rope and inserting it in the Elite Magician's Rope from Camirand. Ah, I hear some of you snickering. Yes, that didn't work very well.

Tabary uses in his stage performances a rope that appears to be a brighter white and a larger diameter than Camirand's stage diameter rope. It flows wonderfully in his hands. And obviously, his rope routine works very well with that rope. That's the rope I'd like to get.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
I use the Elite Magician's Rope and it works very well for me. The best rope I've ever worked with and well worth the price. Of course, ideally I'd love to use the EXACT type of rope as Tabary, but short of breaking into his house and stealing it, I don't know how I would get it.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
I just started working on the Tabary video stuff this past week. I'm glad to hear others have found the work worth it. As for rope; I went to the Home Depot and got diamond grade boat rope. It's very white and moves well. But, I think I got too thick of a rope; as the trasfer of the knots is very hard.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
al-fannin
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of al-fannin
Has anyone noticed that that there is a segment missing from Tabary Tape #2? The explanation of the second routine on the tape leaves out a section. When I was first working on the routine, I kept getting to a place where I had two knots, but needed three for the next step (cutting a knot in half). I finally went back to the performance section and found the missing steps.
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
Glasgow, Scotland
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
What are the names of the Tabary videos that have been mentioned?

(The link never worked.)
Kevin
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
490 Posts

Profile of DougTait
"The Award Winning Rope Magic of Tabary Vol 1 - The Rope Act."

"The Elegant Rope Magic of Tabary Vol 2 - Magic with Knots & More."
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16927 Posts

Profile of joseph
Quote:
On 2003-05-24 08:09, al-fannin wrote:
Has anyone noticed that that there is a segment missing from Tabary Tape #2? The explanation of the second routine on the tape leaves out a section. When I was first working on the routine, I kept getting to a place where I had two knots, but needed three for the next step (cutting a knot in half). I finally went back to the performance section and found the missing steps.

I also noticed that portion missing, and had to review a couple of times before I realized it was omitted! That's one of my complaints on my thread posted here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=27

These tapes cost money and should be reviewed thoroughly before release, but in this case, the content is so good, the ring on string is excellent, and the behind the back camera explanations are critical for this type of magic instruction.
Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Tabary (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL