The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Miser's Dream...does this still work? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
I"m a full-time kid's performer (and doing some "big-people" venues for extra cash) and really want to bring this effect back. I want to do it "cold" with no gimmicked pails or gaffs, holders, threads, tiny elves up my sleeves.
I use Ike Dollars and have been using Bobo's bible....although I like the routines inside, and am borrowing some ideas to create my own routine...does anyone have any advice on performing this as far as what the audience likes to see, what gets strongest reactions, etc.
thanks ahead of time...
Chris
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Several of us are already working to create routines like the one you're referring to. I currently am in the process of doing the same. I'll give some
of the names of the magicians who have been discussed in other threads:

Don Alan's Magic Ranch....one episode feat. Al Flosso performing his comedy misers dream routine

on the CoinVention DVD set, Shawn Greer performs a pretty classic misers dream that meets your requirements...

Jeff McBride
Chris capehart
Norm Nielson
Presto
John Carney
and many others

GOOD LUCK
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Thanks, Eric! I do have a video of Al Flosso doing his great routine...I'll check out the other artists...thanks for the info.
Chris
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27143 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
When he gets around to showing it... Mickey has a miser's dream too.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4866 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Chris,
If you want a Miser's Dream done in the hands with real silver dollars, no pails, gimmicks, and rolled up sleeves, you may find my routine Coins From Vegas to your liking. The downside is that is takes a lot of work to perform it. It's explained in detail in Ch. 18 of my book, 21st Century Coin Mechanics, and you can see the individual sleights demonstrated as well as the entire routine performed on my companion CD which has just been released.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
It isi pretty hard to beat the Charlie Miller version. The KEY to all these routines is NOT the gimmicks, or the sleights... but the PRESENTATION.

You gotta believe. With kids, pulling coins out from their ears and so on is what sells.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Check out Andrew Goldenhirsch and Slyvester the Jester's Slyvester pitch. Especially if you want to be able to do it without holdouts and gaffs. I seem to remember something about a guy named Tom doing it rather well, but that was a while ago.

Kirk
llsouder
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of llsouder
The learned pig guy, Marko, had a few words on the misers dream. I don't remember if they were his ideas for stuff he reprinted. I read them in the book he was selling but the notes are also somewhere on his website in the newsletter archives. You might want to ask him about it.
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Pete is spot on. This routine can and should be done without gimmicks. As long as you can pull a coin from thin air and mime tossing it into a metal bucket (very old crisp (potato chip)trick) then you can focus on the presentation.
How you enjoy this trick yourself directly relates to how the audiance will enjoy it.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1673 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
For a close-up impromptu version, see Jim Pace's video called (I think) Tricks from My Lecture. He produces at least a dozen silver dollars at tableside. No gimmicks or particularly fancy sleights needed.

Cheers,
Jerry
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
There is a version in Bruce Elliott's Classic Secrets of Magic.
Menthol
View Profile
New user
*Cough*Delaware*Cough*
33 Posts

Profile of Menthol
Quote:
on the CoinVention DVD set, Shawn Greer performs a pretty classic misers dream that meets your requirements...

Shawn Greer's Routine is slick, it includes all the standard moves, add in some sly pich moves after a steal and your golden. Of course 5 coin Downs stars don't hurt either Smile I used to do the basic one that McBride teaches on his Manipulaion series...It's good practice, although I haven't done it in awhile.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Close up? Sounds like Vernon's Unlimited Coinage of Silver... frow whence Goshman's great work emerged.
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1673 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Pete -- Just to clarify: If you're referring to the Jim Pace routine when you say "Close up? Sounds like Vernon's Unlimited Coinage... Goshman's great work...," it's actually a different plot.

In the Pace routine, the coins appear not under objects on the table (salt shaker, roll, etc.) but at the fingertips. In other words, it's the Miser's Dream done close-up.

Jim Pace uses the routine for walkaround while standing by a table, and puts the coins on the tabletop as he produces them.

Cheers,
Jerry
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Sounds good... thanks for clarification.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Miser's Dream...does this still work? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL