The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » ATA Cases Available from MagicAuction.com? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Profile of Beaudini Magic
Hi Everyone,

I was doing my daily browsing of the illusion sections on magicauction.com, and realized that the illusion pages now have a banner for ATA cases at the top. Does any one know who is building the cases, and if they are just for people purchasing illusions from the auction, or anyone in general? They look nice, and it will be much more convenient now, when purchasing an illusion without a case from the site. Any feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Beau
-Beau Alexander
"Make the Path, Others will Follow"
abra
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of abra
Beau,

I believe Jack Murray from Dream Illusions is building them.

Abra
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Yes it is Jack Murray from Dream Illusion.

So your belief is right Abra.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Profile of Beaudini Magic
Cool,

My good buddy is making cases, and doesn't even tell me. Well any way, at least they will be nice.

-Beau
-Beau Alexander
"Make the Path, Others will Follow"
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
I'll second that Jack makes GREAT cases at even GREATER prices. Check out his work...you won't regret it.
Kline
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Kline
Got any pics ? other than the typical handle,latch and corner....
A few things to keep in mind when purchasing a case - IF you are shipping your equipment or even if it is "on the road" - balance is a must ! Cases cut in half horizontally where the top half comes off are much more effective than a vertical seam.In addition, please make sure that your casters are always attached to a "kick" plate - this is a 3/4" board attached to the bottom of the case which will absorb the shock IF the case is A.dropped B. let go off a ramp, etc.
I am speaking from experience here, and have flown cases all over the world...and have had to repair a few at times.
Hope this helps.....
One more thing - "truck" corners are way more effective on cases when loading a show - you actually loose space with the typical ball corner.
I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you might have about cases and shippng them.
We do have a good deal of them in our inventory...
Steven Kline
<BR><BR>www.stevenkline.com
<BR><BR>www.stevenklineproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter
@steveklinemagic
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
The pics on the Magic Auction of the latches, handles, and corners are there to show the most important parts of a case, otherwise if you've seen one ATA you've seen them all. Yes you can get different colors, but the hardware is what makes the case for the most part. I use the SAME edge and lip closure extrusions as all other case makers. As for the corners, I haven't found anything that protects better than a ball corner, and it only takes an additional 1/2" per case for the added protection. I've seen cases with the ball corner completely dented in, but the sorrounding areas were clean of any damage.
I've been making these cases for 5 years now, so I don't have all the answers but I certainly have experience.

Jack
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1830 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
When choosing colors....it is better to go with a color other than black. The case will look much lighter and smaller. When being on the borderline of the next shipping price, black always loses. plus you can better keep track of your cases even at a glance.

Also, if you are trucking your own show...stay with truck packing dimensions as much as possible. The cases will fit much better and you will not need to strap every case.

Kevin

P.S. Jack there is another case manufacturer that makes his own extrusuions...they are completely solid in stead of channeled or hollow...ironically he is in Indy as well.
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
When I ship my cases I give the carrier the exact dems, and color has nothing to do with it. Most/all ATA parts houses charge 10-20% higher for colors, so be prepared to pay for them.

When I used the word "all" as referring to case makers, I was referring to the most popular/well know makers. There are always differences, but generally their prices aren't competitive with mine.

Jack
Kline
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Kline
I agree with Jack on the colors.....lighter ? Kevin, I have shipped all over the world and the scale does not lie - besides , when you get to a certain dimension, you ship dim weight not actual weight.Which means you might have a case that only weighs 400 lbs but because of hte size, you pay for its dim weight of 600 lbs.
Jack, on the ball corners, 1/2" is a HUGE deal when packing a truck....hence the name - if your only shipping one or even a few cases but when you need to fill an entire container.....
I do have to disagree with you on the "hardware is what makes the case" - I guess you did say "for the most part".... the actual design of the case is what counts - the case needs to stand rigid from all angles, vertical seams need to be avoided if possible, and a ample size plywood, should be used ( at least 1/4" )- the hardware helps but it is by no means the only factor that should be considered when building or having a case built !
Steven Kline
Follow me on Twitter
@steveklinemagic
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1830 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Steven...sorry, didn't mean to refernce scales...but union labor.

Jack, we have had our choice of colors with no price increase. Just our experience, others' may vary.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
Well of the 150+ cases I've built, I have always used either 1/4"-3/8" or 1/2" laminated ply.
1/2" may be a "huge deal" for corners,but there's no substitute for protection and ball corners just protect better. It's a trade off. If you think colors are the way to identify your prop, try using a stencil and paint the name of ther prop on the case. You'll save on ordering a color other than black.....the most cost effective.

A ridgid case goes without saying. Mine are.

Jack
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
Kevin, if you can order a case in any color without an "upcharge" it's most likely because you're already paying a premium to start with. Again my prices are very competitive. Some may be less....many are more.

Jack
Kline
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Kline
Last time I checked, Bax Global didn't care about union wages, the wanted to know the size of the case ! Smile
Jack, you know truck corners are the same as ball corners, just flat all the way around.....but you ARE right, it is a trade off sometimes....
I would hate to move the cases for my smoke chamber or Death Drop if the were made out of 1/2"......ouch !
Steven Kline
Follow me on Twitter
@steveklinemagic
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
Maybe I'm missing something here, but a "ball" provides a slight space at the corner for trauma to the case and the truck corner does not...they don't protect the same.
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Does smell add to the weight?
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
spignataro
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of spignataro
I don't pipe up much...but here are just a few of my thoughts.

Colors: A ATA case doesn't have to have a specified color. 90% of them are black and black for a reason...doesnt show dirt. But hey it is all on preferance.

Ball Corners: This will give performers something to think about when they travel with large amount of cases. Example: If you are traveling with 70 cases...you are not going to want to have ball corners because you need the space. 70 cases times half an inch here and half an inch here is a crucial 35 inches that could be used. Every inch counts.

Now if you just the average joe who is only traveling with one illusion that is great and fine...it will do the job an protect your case just a little extra....but then again...a case is a case that is just me...it is going to get scratched...dirty...etc. That is just the normal travel ware.

Middle Cuts: Something to for the performers to think about on how they want to travel with there luggage: If they have a large proper it is usually best to have a middle cut in the case horizontally. Keeps balance with the case so that I doesn't tip over.

Well those are my thoughts and suggestions from what I have learned over time and my own opinions.

Carry on!
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
I understand the "space" issue and truck corners are fine if YOU can control who/how the case is handled, but if you ship and don't truck yourself, ball corners just protect better. I'll install any type corner the buyer wishes. I use Ball, and I've never has a customer complain because the case arrived damaged because it was slammed on end!

Horse beaten....finally dead:):):)
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Spignataro, I must have to agree with you. I prefer black cases for shipping to hide the dirt and scratches; besides, all the international port stickers and custom labels add enough color to the black cases….hehehehh…. Although, If you have to check anything on the plane. I think a smile at the lady who checks your bags in will get you a "get out of jail free card" on excessive baggage charges before the colors of the cases will…

Mirror, I think it depends on the type of smell.... Is it heavy or a thick odor? hehehe
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
As per the ball corner issue: I recently helped set up and tear down an entire stage and lighting system for a popular (pop) musician. The truck with all of the A/V equipment and such was packed to the brim with ATA cases, all had ball corners. Everything fit perfectly. To say that you are losing "35 inches" is a falicy. When is the last time you have ever seen 70 ATA cases lined up in a row...in a truck? I know I never have. The way I see it you are losing 1-2 inches along the width of the truck (2-4 cases), and approximately 9-18 inches (if you pack them ball-to-ball, so to speak) along the length. Yes, you will ot be able to use every inch of space, BUT ball corners are usually one of those "little details" that pay off without you ever realizing it.

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » ATA Cases Available from MagicAuction.com? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL