The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Urgent! Keller/Kellar Coin Catcher - Which Version?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

skyh
View Profile
New user
Berkeley, CA
53 Posts

Profile of skyh
Hi All

I want to buy the Keller Coin Catcher, and I'm confused because there may be several versions out there.

One eBay store is selling this for $3.00 (Buy Now) brand new, which seems extremely cheap given that Hank Lee charges $21.50, Magic Warehouse $15.00. Another seller has the Morrissey version for $9.97, hending in 5 hours (hence the "Urgent" in the title).

1) First of all, does the name Keller/Kellar refer to a specific product, or are multiple companies making different products using that name, with differing quality, ease of use, etc?

2) If there are multiple versions, which is the best?

3) Is there a difference between the Keller and Kellar versions, or is this just mispelling?

4) Magic Warehouse's ad states that "The modified gimmick has been engineered to make the production as easy as possible, without the finger-fumbling associated with the other versions".
Does anyone know to which version(s) they are referring?

Thanks,
Chris
Sky
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Original ones were made of brass. Newer versions, plastic. Some are just tubes and others have finger grips. You get what you pay for. Chances are, you don't need it, just learn the sleight of hand version. If you are rushing to get it for a show coming up, don't bother and skip the performance of this trick.

Kirk
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
See my answer on the Genii forum. Kirk hit it right too...
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
skyh
View Profile
New user
Berkeley, CA
53 Posts

Profile of skyh
Thanks for the info, guys. I discovered that the Magic Warehouse one is made by Viking (which should be good quality) and a trip to the Viking website showed that their modification was a canted top - a very good idea.

Some of the ones on eBay (made by Spoik and Co) seem to be a knockoff of the Viking version - same canted top. The others (one by Morissey, others unknown) have the flat top.

All are made of brass, all are flesh-colored. Viking's website claims that the other canted-top versions are unauthorized copies, so maybe I should buy the Viking one.

Thanks,
Sky
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4951 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I found a photo, is it easy to use?

http://www.magicinc.net/index.asp?PageAc......dID=1701
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3407 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2007-12-31 03:55, Kjellstrom wrote:
I found a photo, is it easy to use?

http://www.magicinc.net/index.asp?PageAc......dID=1701

If you learn the sleight of hand method you won't have another prop to manage.

FWIW

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
I second Stanyon's comment. Remember that the Kellar Coin Catcher is named after Harry Kellar, who had great stage presence but couldn't manage a finger palm, so he devised this gimmick to perform the Miser's Dream.

If you take a look in Bobo's "Modern Coin Magic" (the hardcover version) or Hugard's "Modern Magic Manual," you'll find everything you need to know about performing this effect. You can also get Chris Capehart's "Miser's Dream" DVD, click HERE to view, for lots more information on presentation and technique. He uses a classic palm to produce the coins, which is extremely impressive (it looks like a barehanded production), but many of us mere mortals get by with finger and thumb palms instead.

The Viking model of the Kellar Coin Catcher has also been produced by a number of other companies in India, etc., which accounts for the lower price. I haven't seen the Viking version or any of the other models and so can't comment on them. But I agree that if you do decide to get one, you'd probably be better off getting the real McKoy from Viking.

While you're at, you might want to look into Viking's Coin Gondola, click HERE to view. Unlike the Kellar Coin Catcher, this is a very useful gimmick for obtaining a stack of about 10 half dollars quickly and quietly. It's durable, reliable (only one moving part) and it makes for a very impressive ending to any Miser's Dream routine; I use it to produce a big stream of coins from my volunteer's nose. I wear a black three-pocket waiter's apron, which completely conceals a Coin Gondola that clips to the front pocket of my blue jeans with a simple 1/2" spring bulldog clip. With just a little misdirection, you can steal the stack right under the specs' noses. It's a easy, inexpensive setup, and a great way to end the routine. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
John T Cox
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of John T Cox
I use the downs palm for 3 or four coins and then use the last real coin for the flash of the coin and a load of 10-13 coins for the bucket. I tried the coin catchers but they are clunky and also noisy.

John
The real magic is family!
John T Cox
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of John T Cox
I too like the coin gondola. I actually have mine attached to the back of my table, the one pictured with the balls on it. I added a small wooden backboard which has places for several dropper including a ball dropper, the gondola, and an egg dropper.
The real magic is family!
Vegasvent
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix
288 Posts

Profile of Vegasvent
Capehart's video is great.
Magical Phil-Kidzshow, LLC

"My Wife says that either all of my Stuff goes, or she does......" "Boy, I'm sure gonna miss her cookin'."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Urgent! Keller/Kellar Coin Catcher - Which Version?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL