The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Verbal Misdirection for Top Change (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Whetter 007
View Profile
New user
Kuskonook, BC
18 Posts

Profile of Whetter 007
I perform a card trick called "Be Honest, What is it", an Eddie Fetcher trick that David Blaine does in one his specials. I have had great reactions from this trick so far. However, I don't do it very much as it requires a top change (in my handling at least) and I haven't got the misdirection down for it yet. Usually, I just talk my way through the routine and hope I don't get caught. So far, so good. Any tips on the top change for this trick with respect to patter and routining that I can try? Also, does anyone know where I can download a description of this effect? I am in China and getting magic books is very difficult and very expensive due to shipping. I usually have to wait until I make my annual trip home. Thanks.

Martin
Amir
View Profile
Loyal user
New York.
296 Posts

Profile of Amir
I am assuming that you do the top change after the fake switch to the spec.

Here's a tip that's worth remembering. The bigger motion covers the smaller one. So Use a lot of body movement.
ithomson
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of ithomson
Quote:
On 2005-11-14 14:26, Amir wrote:
Here's a tip that's worth remembering. The bigger motion covers the smaller one. So Use a lot of body movement.

Al Schneider and Gary Kurtz have put a lot of work into describing this concept (though I would suggest saying that the "stronger" movement covers the "weaker" one, rather than "bigger" and "smaller").

For this sort of misdirection advice, I'd strongly recommend Kurtz's "Leading With Your Head" and Schneider's "The Schneider Technique".

As for verbal misdirection, again take a look at Kurtz. He suggests such things as using the victim's name to get them to look at your eyes, and/or asking them a question or making a request for them to do something. Kurtz has some interesting ideas on using the "off-beat" too, which can be very effective with a top change (in my experience).

Hope that helps.

Ian
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
In my humble opinion.
I can't do the top change.
I have played with it when what I do doesn't matter.
My observation is those that do it, do something awful like spit in their eye at the right moment.
But then I am a pussy cat.
Please don't use any of my ideas from my books on how to do the top change.
They do not apply.
Eddie Tullick used it a lot doing trade shows. He was very, very successful. But he worked for one person and killed them with it.
However, everyone else around saw what was happening and enjoyed the show immensly.
I met Eddie once at the magic shop in Minneapolis.
Danny Witkowski brought him into the shop and told me to do Matrix for Eddie.
Eddie stood in front of the counter while I stood behind the counter doing Matrix.
Eddie closed his eyes while I performed the trick.
I think he took a quick nap.
Then he opened his eyes when I was done and walked away.
I heard that some magicians did not like the way he performed. They approached him at a trade show to convice him he should improve his magic. He looked at them and screamed at the top of his powerful voice, F.... Y.. This was heard over the entire trade show floor.
Hmmmmm, were we talking about the Top Change?
Larry Jennings worked a lot with the top change. He kind of rubbed his thumb over the card while holding the deck in one hand. Unfortunately this move telegraphs that somethng is going on. He got so good at it, a spectator could be holding an card by the edge. While holding the deck in his left hand the left thumb would stroke the card quickly executing the top change. Hmmmm.
I have successfully executed the top change. But then many times I have been nailed when I do it.
Al Schneider
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Verbal Misdirection for Top Change (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL