The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Criss Angel (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Matt Adams
View Profile
Special user
Harvest, AL
827 Posts

Profile of Matt Adams
Quote:
So the part I disagree with is that you can "make a magician" in half and hour. Sure, he'll LOOK like a magician...but he's only doing camera tricks whereas Criss can do a LOT more than that. Does that make sense?

Obviously you were being facetious, but my point was just that Criss is a lot more than a "special effects" guy. YES anyone could do that, but he's filling time! Not everyone can do the rest of the things he does (consider meat hooks in back hung from helicopter...). Illusion or not...that was sick!

Instagram: @mattadamsministries

Facebook: www.facebook.com/mattadamsministries
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
That was pretty sick. (But it was show business!) Smile

And yeah, I take your point. He's a lot more than a special effects guy. But he makes himself appear less by using them. :-(

-Philip
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2013-04-16 13:08, Matt Adams wrote:

Anyway, he's had tons of stage time now and hopefully has improved some more.

Well, at least according to the reviews on TripAdvisor http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Re......ada.html the show hasn't improved appreciably. It is still ranked as one of the worst shows in Vegas coming in 437 out of 502 attractions
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I have not seen BELIEVE but, artistically, I think combining a cirque production with any kind of magic show is a bad idea. The cirque performers are absolutely amazing at what they do, but they could care less about hiding the wires or traps they use in their show. To place this type of act in the same show as a magician would likely destroy the audience's temporary suspension of disbelief. They know the wires and traps are there, even if they can't see them.

I can't really comment on the choice of illusions within the show, the staging or the manner in which they are presented. However, it seems that an effort has been made to create some semblance of a plot line to tie the magic together. This may or may have worked, but the "effort" seems to be there.

In this sense, it is somewhat reminiscent of Doug Henning's theatrical efforts. In his shows, the scripting was painful and it was clear that Doug could neither dance nor act. The key difference however was that Henning's incredible personality and his mastery of cutting-edge illusions were strong enough to salvage the shows. By all accounts, this seems to be lacking in BELIEVE.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Criss Angel (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL