The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Christmas effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
helder
View Profile
Inner circle
Portugal
1019 Posts

Profile of helder
Thanks Potty Pirate, what routines you do in this Christmas Shows?

Helder
My version of Eddie fetcher "Be Honest What's it?" it's available at Penguin Magic
Email: heldermagico@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/heldermagico
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Yesterday got a call from a mall. They want something to "introduce" Santa to the mall.

Could be a production from screen.
Card board box simple production...

as a puppeteer more than magician these days, I would sing him on...with Here Comes Santa Claus.

How would you "produce/bring out" Santa?
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7445 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Harris -

If you are into building illusions, or know someone who can do it for you, then you might consider buying a copy of Paul Osborne's Illusion Plan Book, "The Big Black Book."

Over the years, I have built 2 of the Christmas-themed illusions in that book, and performed them at malls and other Christmas parties. One is a giant chimney prop and the other is a large sleigh with a sack of toys on it. They are on wheels, and can be wheeled in from other parts of the mall at the right time.

- Donald

P.S. Creative Magic also sells a compact version of Bryce's Screens, which can be used for producing Santa. There are some limitations to that illusion compared to the others I've mentioned.

http://www.creativemagic.net/stage/bscreens.htm

You could also use the giant square square illusion that they sell. Again, some limitations.

http://www.creativemagic.net/stage/cubesquared.htm
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Great sources.

Of course there's the old Grant's (?) cardboard illusion book, probably on the back of many of us oldtimer's shelves.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7445 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I can think of 2 illusions in the book you mention, "Victory Carton Illusions." Victory Girl Production (aka Victory Tube), and Doll House (aka Arabian Tent), are both for producing a person. They have extreme angle problems, so are best for proper stage work, where you have wings, curtains, etc. That sort of set up at a mall is very, very rare.

- Donald
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Quote:
On 2010-10-27 09:22, Harris wrote:
Yesterday got a call from a mall. They want something to "introduce" Santa to the mall.

Could be a production from screen.
Card board box simple production...

as a puppeteer more than magician these days, I would sing him on...with Here Comes Santa Claus.

I like this, but I'd choose "Santa Stuck in the Chimney", and produce him from a Magic Chimney!
:)
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2010-10-27 09:22, Harris wrote:

My suggestion, given those skills as a puppeteer, would be to convert a Santa Claus doll into a puppet figure. This time Santa gets to sit on YOUR lap and tell you want he wants for Christmas... instead of being a doll, he want's to be the REAL Santa... and you make his dream come true by transforming him into the Mall Santa.

If you can't get the Mall Santa to cooperate by getting inside a chimney production box, you can at least make the Doll Santa vanish and "fly through the air" to the spot where the live Santa is ready to make his entrance.

One last idea, make the Mall Santa start out by speaking in the same voice you used with the Doll Santa. Then "he" asks "Can you give me my own voice? I still sound like a doll!" At that you grant his wish. You tell him to say "Ho, Ho, Ho!" three times. The first two times are still using the doll voice, and the last time, is with his real voice and after that he is on his own.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Although I have never produced Santa out of an illusion, I always wanted to try a box that looks like a wooden crate coming from the North Pole, just delivered to the Mall. When the crate is opened, the inner box looks like a giant present with a bow on top of it. It is tilted over and shown empty. The when placed back up right Santa pops out.

The illusion is the classic tip-over box inside of another box.
Dennis Michael
LMLipman
View Profile
Elite user
Falls Church, Va.
444 Posts

Profile of LMLipman
Sammy Patrick Smith markets a version of Silly Billy's "Magic Party Picture" with a Santa theme. His website is http://www.spsmagic.com.

The Magic Party Picture is one I often use for 5- and 6-year-old birthday parties. It's a drawing of a table set with a birthday cake. With help from the kids, the picture magically is transformed to show colorful balloons and presents--a la "out to lunch."

The Magic Christmas Picture has Santa in his sleigh; when the magic is done, Santa is colored in and one of the reindeer has a red nose. Very easy to do, and of course you involve the kids in making the colors appear.

I don't have any interest in this, except that I do the Magic Party Picture and bought a set of the Christmas pictures when Sammy was as IBM Ring 50's MagiWhirl this year. I hope to get some mileage out of them.
Larry Lipman
Lorenzo the Great
www.lorenzomagic.com
Sal Amangka
View Profile
Special user
Manila, Philippines
712 Posts

Profile of Sal Amangka
Mine would be "Boy to Santa"... It's the same principle as the Rabbit Wand.

Sal
Salamangka in Filipino means "Magic"
http://www.thechubstershow.com
thechubstershow@gmail.com
helder
View Profile
Inner circle
Portugal
1019 Posts

Profile of helder
How about miser's dream?

Helder
My version of Eddie fetcher "Be Honest What's it?" it's available at Penguin Magic
Email: heldermagico@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/heldermagico
JimbosMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of JimbosMagic
Dennis, don't forget my new Rudoph Trick.
JIMMY CARLO. KIDabra International Family Entertainer of the Year 2009.
IBM Triple Award Winner. Uk Champion of Comedy Magic.
Represented the UK in the United Slapstick Awards on German TV.
European Children's Entertainer of the year 2007/8
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Miser's dream is always a good routine to do, because money is a wonderful gift.

Jimbo... This thread was review from way back. On the previous page, I posted a list. Look at the dated: Nov 6, 2002. I don't think we knew each other back then. Smile

So for the Record, Jimbo's Rudoph Trick, that I just saw at KIDabra this year, is another good one.
Dennis Michael
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
515 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
Where can you find this new trick by Jimbo.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I thought it was time to revive this old thread again, and to add the latest new effects for Christmas shows:
Tommy James' comedy Christmas Magic Wand
Tommy James' Santa,Skunk and the Magic Chimney
Has anyone mentioned "Big Red Nose" yet? This one's excellent, a real worker. It's not new, but I don't think it's been mentioned yet in this thread.
I believe Razamatazz also have a Christmas version of their puppet wand available.
Any more?
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2010-10-27 10:31, Donald Dunphy wrote:
I can think of 2 illusions in the book you mention, "Victory Carton Illusions." Victory Girl Production (aka Victory Tube), and Doll House (aka Arabian Tent), are both for producing a person. They have extreme angle problems, so are best for proper stage work, where you have wings, curtains, etc. That sort of set up at a mall is very, very rare.

- Donald

It can't be done surrounded, but I used to use an alternative setup for The Arabian Tent, when I was in high school. The angles were so good that the backstage crew didn't know how I did it. It also helps to perform it slightly upstage.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Some Magic Nook contributions are Wilhelmina's "New Santa Blocks", a DIY "Christmas Lights from Mouth" and Chris Dunn's "Holiday Die Box", all from The Wizards' Journal #19; "Talking Greeting (Christmas) Cards" and "The 12 Days of Christmas" from The Wizards' Journal #17; and many of the effects found in Wizards' Journals #7 and #15, including some illusions made from converted inflatable lawn decorations.

Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki didn't get enough mileage out of his "Mismade Jack" and "Floating Pumpkin" routine for Halloween (Wizards' Journal #21), so he is doing a "Mismade Frosty" and a "Floating Frosty" to extend his Halloween show into Christmas and beyond that into Winter. It just means dying some new silks ( I can only guess that I'll be stuck with that job again!) and redecorating all his Halloween props to fit his Frosty Winter theme and the same show, using the same skills, is good to go.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7445 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I know Spellbinder likes to make his own, but for those who don't, P&A Silks and Wonder Imagery both offer versions of a Mismade Snowman silk set.

(You might not be able to purchase the P&A Silks set from Cynthia directly at this time, because of Peter's recent passing. However, the silks might be at other dealers.)

- Donald
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
If it was just a matter of making two or three Mismade Frosty silks (plain snowman - mismade snowman - finished snowman) I'd probably just buy a set ready-made, but Qua-Fiki has big ideas of expanding on his "Mismade Jack" design which was actually a Blendo variation where you take the different silks and shake them together and they morph or blend into the new form. I made the mistake of showing him the Greer Marechal "Master Silk Routine" from "Magic For the Millions" and he's decided that he wants to do away with the bag concept completely for his Frosty silks. So the first plain color silks will morph into a snowman (minus one of the silks that has dropped to the floor), then a second morph into the mismade snowman, and a final morph into the great big finished snowman. Each of the morph results will be larger than the last, so 17 inch silks will transform into a 24 inch silk, then a 30 inch silk and end with a 44 inch silk (sizes determined by what I can get from Dharma Trading Co.). The moral of the story is keep young magicians away from all books or they will get big ideas.
Professor Spellbinder

Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1010 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Supreme Magic sold a great Christmas trick, Mis-Made Santa. A giant Chrstmas card is shown with a picture of a black and white Santa inside. Santa is to be painted but ends up in the wrong colours, eventually all is put right.

Goodliffe publications published a book by Amalfi called Santa's Workshop, entirely devoted to Christmas Magic. Out of print but contact second hand dealers in the UK

The Bert Easley book has another book included with it by Eric P Wilson which has a routine called The Snowman and Father Christmas.

And there's the Silk to Santa's Hat available here http://www.seomagic-usa.com/catalog/prod......s_id/601
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Christmas effects (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL