The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » New T.V. special (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
I have been reading some of these posts carefully, as I am in the process of talking to one production company and one private investor about making a magic special. I really want to blow away both the public and the magic community. That may not be possible, but I would like to.

Here I feel you are attacking these guys' (Blaine/Angel) persona/dress sense, not just their camera tricks, etc. Isn't it up to a person how they dress? I am going to dress how I darn want. But any thoughts from you guys on what you think I should not do? The main idea of the show is that there is a team of three of us like a guerilla magic squad. We will pull up in a jeep (or a limo if we can) Smile and amaze everyone in that little area. So they will go around like, "Wow, I just saw this guy and he......." and their friend will go, "Yeah, me too," going around spreading magicial happiness sort of thing. Working title is "Magic Daze/Days." This special is most likely to air in the Britain or Australia. Overseas may come later.
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
jlareau
View Profile
Loyal user
Henrietta NY / Chicago Ill
220 Posts

Profile of jlareau
Hmm...interesting idea. Could be a little difficult to pull off though. Just a thought: If viewers see three magicians going around town, what's to stop them from assuming that your group has more members that could be stooges?

Just thought I could give you a different angle on the issue to help your development of the series.

-Jlareau
Jonathan Lareau A.K.A "Jonny Card Trick"
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

Feel free to check out my website www.jonlareau.com
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
We will spread out, but the idea has changed a bit already. Same name but now we ambush film premiers and the like. We will do some magic to big celebrities, getting them in stupid poses. Like, "Yeah that's it. Put one hand on your head and stand on one leg. Keep thinking of your card." Ha ha. Maybe taking it further, like, "That's it. Cut off half your tie with these scissors. I'll restore it don't worry," and then running off. This will work. I know from experience and I think it will make great T.V. magic.

Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
Just be careful you don't end up in a lawsuit. Some celebs can be very touchy!
If anyone sees my sanity, please return it to

me.
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
We will ask for their consent to screen it after filming. Do we need to do that? Because we are filming a short demo in a few weeks. Maybe we won't do the tie cutting bit, but the idea is we show them such good tricks that they believe we can do anyting. So I would say, "That's it, just smash your wine glass on the table." See how far we can push someone's belief in the impossible. (Not too far, just enough to be funny.) No serious damage done. Of course, the show will be full of amazing magic as well.

Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
I'm not quite sure what the legal obligations are, but do ask for consent from your "victims" to screen it. Be careful about attracting an audience because some may not want their faces on the big screen. Also, do not permanently destroy items such as clothing, park benches, store windows, etc because that's vandalism and is heavily prosecuted by law. Check with a lawyer on anything else you're not sure of.

me.
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
If you're worried about the legal side of things, try to find out the production company behind Dennis Pennis (remember him, he approached celebs and asked them embarasing questions). They may be able to offer you advice.

Cheers

ML
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
Ice Raven, I know all this stuff already. This is not just an idea off the top of my head. We have been sitting down with T.V producers, etc. Thanks for your concern, but it is all in good fun. The 'victim's' will definitely be laughing afterwards (most of them).

Missing Link, that is a good idea. Do you have the name or address for them?

Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
It's good to know you planned this out. Smile

me.
TheMagician
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of TheMagician
You do know that Angel and Blaine publicly hate each other, right?
-Robert
...The Magician
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
That's more of a publicity stunt than anything else. Well, maybe two overinflated ego's clashing... Smile

me.
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
The magician--> what does that have to do with the T.V special? Anyway I doubt they hate each other, publicity.

Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
How's the special coming, hackmonkey? Smile

me.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Where's the magic?
We can't wait.
Always wishing you guys great success.

Randy Stewart
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
T.V. Specials don't just happen overnight! (Well, maybe the Anna Nicole Smith show...) But everything else requires some time. The magic is on it's way, I'm sure. Smile

me.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6694 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
You asked for what not to do... well, try not to do the same stuff that Blaine has done and then Criss went on to duplicate. You know, the 'think of card' into the camera, 'grabbing people's coffee and doing stuff with it'. Try to be completely original. There's so much magic out there why does anyone need to duplicate what has already been seen?

I know you can do it. So surprise all of us by not looking anything like another Blaine special. Good luck.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Kathryn Novak
View Profile
Special user
PA
574 Posts

Profile of Kathryn Novak
Is there really any way to produce a TV special that everybody will like? That all magicians will praise and support? The answer is no. You can't make a special without SOMEONE saying it looked like DB's or CA's. Or criticizing the methods used to accomplish the effects. Or the effects used. Or bashing the presentation. Too many egos are flying around in magic right now. To be honest, this "cut you down to my size" thing that's still going on in the Magic world is getting really annoying. So I encourage hackmonkey to make the best T.V. special he can, and use whichever effects he thinks will work best. Magic is performed ultimately for the laypeople, not for other magicians. IMO if he can amaze them, he's made a successful special.

me.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6694 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2002-12-01 16:10, IceRaven02 wrote:
Is there really any way to produce a TV special that everybody will like? That all magicians will praise and support? The answer is no. You can't make a special without SOMEONE saying it looked like DB's or CA's. Or criticizing the methods used to accomplish the effects. Or the effects used. Or bashing the presentation. Too many egos are flying around in magic right now. To be honest, this "cut you down to my size" thing that's still going on in the Magic world is getting really annoying. So I encourage hackmonkey to make the best T.V. special he can, and use whichever effects he thinks will work best. Magic is performed ultimately for the laypeople, not for other magicians. IMO if he can amaze them, he's made a successful special.

Actually, Ice Raven, there is a way of being original. Before Blaine's shows why hadn't others done that? Be original. Before Copperfield came into view there was Henning. He was an original. Who would have thought looking like a hippie and not wearing the traditional tuxedo would work? Suddenly there is an outpouring of magicians trying to look that way and doing every single trick that appears on the specials... I think the rain forest was put through major devastation with every magician doing the Anderson Paper Tear and with the exact patter.Then David Copperfield comes in and decides that he wants to mix movie themes and dramatic song pieces. Well, wouldn't you know, all of sudden every illusionist wants to feature a dancer and a Phil Collins song and do a one minute illusion in a ten minute number. Of course, every special had the magi heading for the stores to buy MisLead or whatever was featured on the special.

Then comes the other David. Shouts of "what is that? That's not magic! He's using stooges! Creative editing!!" But the shows worked and suddenly everyone is buying Healed & Sealed, etc.

Be original. That was my only complaint about the Criss Angel special. I felt his stage magic was original by mixing goth with sci-fi, but why then go into the streets and use the same effects and shots? Be original. It worked for Henning, Copperfield and Blaine. Sit down and decide what makes you unique and not how you can dress down, mumble, stop shaving and then hit the streets with a mystic quality. Be original. Be you.
Greg
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
There are only so many places you can do magic, stage (not for me), palour-style magic (I do this sometimes), street/close-up (my main field). The thing is that the media loves Blaine right now and every T.V executive I have spoke too wanted to do something around the street style, mainly because it's cheaper to shoot. I met with a well known journalist who wants to do an artical on me for some of the national papers. The first thing he asked me was what I thought of Blaine. The artical he wanted to do was 'This is England's answer to David Blaine'. This maybe because the way I got in contact with him by impressing his girlfriend on a night out while doing street magic.
But I digress, as IceRaven said specials don't happen over night a few things have changed. The private investor may pull out, he lost some money on his real job (housing), but the T.V company is still good. The main thing that I hope will be original is that there is three of us, all different styles, a crack team of magicians. Kinda like Charlies Angels..... but guys and doing magic.
Smile

Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6694 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Good luck, Hack Monkey. I hope it all works out to your satisfaction. Charlie's Angels? Huh. Are you going to get Melinda to be the Bosley of your group?
Greg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » New T.V. special (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL