The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Half-Penny for Your Thoughts? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2340 Posts

Profile of todsky
Here's an idea I just came up with, although I'll bet somebody on the Café will mention that it's already been done before. Nevertheless:
The magician speaks of fractions, and uses a $1 coin to illustrate. 1/2 of $1 is... 50 cents (dollar coin changes into a 50 cent piece). Then the 50c changes into a quarter. Finally, the hardest part. Drumroil please: the quarter changes into... 12.5 cents! (dime, two pennies, and a half penny.)
Ha ha! How cute is that? When they see that penny cut in half! Now if I ever get around to it, I'll actually find a way to pull the technical side off.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
perceptions
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of perceptions
Sounds like a good idea with possible application(s). Good luck. "Luck" means:
Laboring Under Corrective Knowlege. Hope you work it out.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Good luck to you. Think Jewelers saw.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27140 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The name Sawa comes to mind when the effect of breaking up a dollar into smaller coins. The last change sounds novel, and folks might like to remember that a quarter dollar is also known as two bits, after the old Spanish coins which were called pieces of eight.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
I actually did this a few years ago.

A Silver dollar is broken in half and the halves are half dollars. One of the fifty cent pieces is pocketed and the remaining half dollar is broken into two quarters.
"That's where things get a bit weird".

One of the quarters is broken in half and you get...

Todd Lassen made the quarters for me. I gave a set to Reed at PCAM last year...
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2340 Posts

Profile of todsky
Laboring Under Corrective knowledge. That's cute!
I think my friend has a jeweller's saw. I supppose you can't cut a penny with a simple gardening shear, then?
A quarter as two bits, I think I could find a way to work that into the patter.
The advantage about being in canada is that we have a $2 coin, as well as a $1, a 50 cent (rare), and a quarter, so there can be more changes, although this would add to the technical complexity. Time to get to work!
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
The name Sawa comes to mind when the effect of breaking up a dollar into smaller coins.

Long before Dr. Sawa was splitting Silver Daollars...there was a guy nmed Milt Kort doing the same thing!

Mike
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27140 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Was Milt Kort contemporary with Laurie Ireland? I recall there is a very nice Ireland trick where you change a half dollar into a nickle and pennies. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Aaron Moring
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
165 Posts

Profile of Aaron Moring
If you cannot locate a jewelers saw, go to Home Depot/Lowe's/Whathaveyou and get a small file. Clamp the penny down somehow (table vice is probably the easiest, but surely not the only way) and file away. As I found out sitting in front of a store waiting for a ride, if you have enough patience, you can even file a coin down on concrete. They can get hot, though...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Half-Penny for Your Thoughts? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL