The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Does anyone know what this coin through plate effect is called? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

biff_g
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
240 Posts

Profile of biff_g
Hi, a friend of mine recently gave me a cool trick. Here's the effect: First, you show the spectator two coins. You then put one of the coins on top of this gold, dimpled, metal plate, and cover the coin with an upside down goblet. You then take the other coin, and "throw" it up "through" the plate, where the spectator can visually see it join the other coin under the goblet. Does anyone know what this is called?

Thanks, and have a great night!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3456 Posts

Profile of Julie
It's called Blasted (there was also a Blasted Jr./used smaller coins). I seem to recall it was sold by Tannens.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Yes, that does indeed sound like "Blasted" and progeny, however, the effect as sold was that the outside coin penetrated down through the goblet, not up through the plate. Making the effect a penetration through the plate draws more attention there, and I don't think you want that, when you could have everyone suspecting the goblet.

Try it, the natural act of pushing the coin throught the bottom of the goblet should make everything work.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
AFAIR, Blasted was original sold by Harry Stanley of Unique Magic Studio in London,in the 1960s, and again -IIRC- Bob Swadling was the inventor of it.
I think Harry did give the US-rights to Tannens.
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Quote:
On 2005-10-23 06:20, Werner G. Seitz wrote:
AFAIR, Blasted was original sold by Harry Stanley of Unique Magic Studio in London,in the 1960s, and again -IIRC- Bob Swadling was the inventor of it.
I think Harry did give the US-rights to Tannens.

I think the original Swadling routine was called "ring of fire"...Harry Stanley didn't exactly give the rights to Tannens!

Mike
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
Wasn't there a smaller version that used a quarter and a dime, a metal coaster and small martini/wine glass? Coin-e-tration?

In this effect the quarter was 'poured' out of the glass onto the felt lined coaster and the glass placed upside down over the coin. The dime then penetrated down through the glass and audible/visually joined the trapped quarter. The spectator was then invited to remove the glass and inspect it all.

It was definitely a close up routine. It used the most clever of methods & subtleties and looked absolutely impossible.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27140 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Is "Blasted!" the same gaff/props as the Swadling thing? When was it offered? I cite the item in an essay nd I'd like to get the credits right on the thing. Thanks - JT
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Sorry Jon,

I would have to dig (stuffed away) through the old *Gen*s to find the adds there.
It (Blasted) was definitively released in the midt/late 1960s and it also definitively was made by Bob Swadling and I'm sure he also invented it.

I though, -also I have hearded about - re a coinroutine/trick called *Ring of fire* Mike Gallo mentioned, but can't recall the connection qith the original Blasted.

I very well recall the hype when Blasted the first time was announced in *The Gen*.

I also now recall all the talk when Tannens hijacked Blasted, Mike is definitively correct that Tannens hadn't the right to sell that item, at least in the first place, if they later got permission actually I doubt too, so Mike no doubt is correct in what he mentioned..

The *Ring of Fire* thing though I simply can't recall to have any connection with Blasted and I neither think Harry Stanley put it on the marked, maybe another dealer in the States?.

IIRC in case of the *Ring of Fire*, it was the 'heat' that triggered the function, if flashpaper was used or some liquid, I though can't remember.

Mike please, let us know more re the *Ring of Fire*..

Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-10-23 10:07, Charlie Justice wrote:
.... The spectator was then invited to remove the glass and inspect it all.
Actually I too recall the name of *Coin-e-tration*, but what you mentiomned above is not possible (dircetly, without a s**tch*), when using *Blasted*

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27140 Posts

That trick can be a fun bridge to fully sleight of hand routines. One can take the method and extend it to pass additional coins in one at a time using only miminal sleight of hand.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-10-23 10:57, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
That trick can be a fun bridge to fully sleight of hand routines. One can take the method and extend it to pass additional coins in one at a time using only miminal sleight of hand.
Which one?
Coin-e-tration ?

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27140 Posts

I was recalling blasted, and using it to to a mechanical/visual version of Al's coins across.
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-10-23 11:46, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
I was recalling blasted, and using it to to a mechanical/visual version of Al's coins across.
Ah....my original thought was one can't get additional coins inside, but thinking about it, it is possible though maybe a bit too complicated to handle, I'm thinking of the 'reset'..isn't there a sound (a very audible one) involved to get the thingy ready?

Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3456 Posts

Profile of Julie
I don't recall the details, but I do remember Bob Little's selling Ring of Fire at several of the conventions one year...
biff_g
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
240 Posts

Profile of biff_g
Yes! That's the one. Thank you all!
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Mike please, let us know more re the *Ring of Fire*..

Werner, I could elaborate more...but an open forum is not the place for this.

Mike
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-10-23 18:55, mike gallo wrote:

Werner, I could elaborate more...but an open forum is not the place for this.

Mike
Mike, what about in the Secret sessions topic?

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Does anyone know what this coin through plate effect is called? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL