The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Patter for short trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jocce
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of jocce
I'm pretty new to coin magic and I have been practicing a simple one coin vanish and production using classic palm vanish and L'Masque load (as in Roth - Expert coin magic made easy). I really like the simplicity of the moves and I gradually manage to do this better and better. But, what has been lacking is the motivation for the moves. Especielly the turning motion with L'Masque load. Here's an idea I have for a story around this simple, quick routine:

"There are some very tangible benefits of being a magician and one of those is in relation to dating. One might say that my return of investment when it comes to women has not been great over the years. You see, when I date a woman, of course I invest a few of these in her (show and "place" coin in hand and make a fist) and treat her nicely (gently rub the back of the fist). But, at the end of the day, I'm still alone and my money is gone (display empty hand, coin is gone). Now, being a magician has improved the situation (close empty fist again). I still treat my women nicely (rub back of hand). But, if it doesn't work out I can just turn back time (L'Masque load) and at least, I still have my money (display coin in hand)."

Comment: Is this to convoluted and longwinded? Is it better to just make this shorty as a "trick" without a story? Comments appreciated.
Menthol
View Profile
New user
*Cough*Delaware*Cough*
33 Posts

Profile of Menthol
I don't mind effects with a story to them. I do however think that the story should fit you. If you want to come off as a person who has a little trouble with women, you obviously want to play the part. Maybe look like the guy from 40 year old virgin (I think that’s the name of the movie?) Make it fit your character. You wouldn’t want to play all debonair and then tell a story about bad luck dating, follow?

Play it how you want, it's up to you. If you were to stick to this script, you’d obviously play a kind of bumbling guy, a bit nervous around girls, maybe even clumsy. Just try to make it relatable to everyone....something they can identify with. I would expand the effect, talk about the date you took this one girl on. For example, you went to Chinatown to get some take out, you spilled a glass of water down the front of your pants and it was so horrible. When it was time to pay the check, your money turned into Chinese coins (Spellbound, Possibly a reversed wild coins?) When you get really good, you can pick up Palms of Steel two, and learn Tiananmen Square, Curtis teaches a bad ass fingertip wild coins sequence.

Anyway, back to the story: Your date had to pay for dinner, as they would not take your fake Chinese coins. But you’ve learned your lesson. Now you stick to McDonalds...It’s easier, and they do have the beloved dollar menu.

When I do effects with a story, or any effect for that matter, I have a few key lines. Lines that define the plot of the effect, Key moments if you will. The rest of them, I make up as I go along. This works well for me, as I can get warmed up to spectators, see what they find funny, and go in that direction. This method works well (again, for me) and a lot of people I know. Check out Curb your enthusiasm on HBO to see this in action. The show works about the same way, and IMO it’s the best show on TV.

There are a lot of great books and notes about presentation, but the best I think I’ve read in awhile were that of Curtis Kam. It’s a wonderful set Dangerous Notions, and has a section devoted to scripting tricks. Check them out, you’ll be happy you did.

I hope this helped you, and answered you question…Like I said it worked for me. I’m glad your making up your own patter, as I’ve always felt out of place when reciting scripts from others. It’ll give your magic your own personality, and make it your own.
Best of luck.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27140 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Please do remain focussed on the STORY you wish to tell, and how you tell it.

L'homme Masque's work includes what we call the Downs Palm as well, so it looks like you are off to a great start and are working from a great source too in the Roth videos.

What would it mean to have a lipstick kiss on one side of the coin, and after re-producing the coin, showing it on the coin?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2005-10-23 04:19, jocce wrote:

"There are some very tangible benefits of being a magician and one of those is in relation to dating. One might say that my return of investment when it comes to women has not been great over the years. You see, when I date a woman, of course I invest a few of these in her (show and "place" coin in hand and make a fist) and treat her nicely (gently rub the back of the fist). But, at the end of the day, I'm still alone and my money is gone (display empty hand, coin is gone). Now, being a magician has improved the situation (close empty fist again). I still treat my women nicely (rub back of hand). But, if it doesn't work out I can just turn back time (L'Masque load) and at least, I still have my money (display coin in hand)."

Comment: Is this to convoluted and longwinded? Is it better to just make this shorty as a "trick" without a story? Comments appreciated.

I kind of like the overall patter but it could be streamlined.
Maybe something like:
"When I dated women, I used to spend my last dollar ((quarter or whatever))(transfer) and treat her nice (rub) in hopes of showing her a good time. At the end of the day, my money was often gone and so was she (coin gone). I still treat women nice (rub) but when it comes to spending I've found that spending my last buck don't always work. So I don't do it. (display coin in hand)."

Just an idea on the theme.

Best,
jocce
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of jocce
Thanks for the input, it's much appreciated. My first week into coin magic I was thinking the sleights was the hard part to get down. The more I learn I realise that the routining is harder.

Great to have this source of knowledge and experience to benefit from Smile

/J
jocce
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of jocce
Quote:
What would it mean to have a lipstick kiss on one side of the coin, and after re-producing the coin, showing it on the coin?

Just my kinda luck...they love my money...not me.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
I suspect the story will play a little flat, not because of the magic, but because of the content of the story. Listen to what you're saying, and ignore the magic for a minute. Anyone else listening to the story can only conclude, "Wow, lucky you." There is a fine art to showing off, and enjoying one's good fortune in public. Very few can do that well. Suppose you change the message a bit, so that it contains a little bit of truth that everyone can relate to?

"When I was younger, I used to worry about the the return on my dating dollar. I'd save my money, spend it all on the date, treat her nice, always wondering why I never...came out ahead. (show vanish) Over the years, I've learned that it doesn't matter how much you spend, (make fist) or how nice you act, (rub) at the end of the night, if all you're really worried about is the money, that's all you'll have."

See if your dating results don't improve if you project that attitude.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
On 2005-10-25 03:47, Curtis Kam wrote:
...if all you're really worried about is the money, that's all you'll have."

See if your dating results don't improve if you project that attitude.

Master Kam, your Coin Fu is the best Coin Fu!
aka
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of aka
I don't like the patter, honestly. I find it a bit sexist.
*past the point of no return~~
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Patter for short trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL