The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coins to match the size of a Morgan (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Blenderboy
View Profile
New user
Texas
55 Posts

Profile of Blenderboy
Does anyone know of coins that match well with a Morgan Dollar? The Morgans I have are actually shaved down and re-edged from 38 millimeters to closer to 37. The coppers I have with this set are a 1936 Abdicate Edward VIII Pattern Shield Copper and a Victoria Fantasy Double Fantasy Florin 1893. The Florin is a bit smaller, so it's not good for making a C/S/B shell.

What I'm particularly looking for is Brass and Gold coins that fits this for a King Midas Spellbound, but I'd love to find out about any other coins--Chinese or anything else--that goes well with the Morgan. I like the older coins because they are more intricate and interesting and help distract viewers. It's also easier to make up patter with them.

Does anyone know if there is any kind of reference that shows what coins match other coins of the same size?

Thank you!!
sangita
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of sangita
Check this site, this might be what you are looking for. http://www.themagicianscoin.com

Sam
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
The UK £5 coin (or crown) is 38.61mm
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Blenderboy
View Profile
New user
Texas
55 Posts

Profile of Blenderboy
Is that a 5 Pound Horatio Nelson Crown? ...or is there a lot of different kinds. Sorry, for the ignorant American question.
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Todd Lassen uses coins like that in his gaffs that are the same size as Morgans.

They are in my C/S/Brass and my Hopping “Half” and my Chinatown Half, all in the Silver Dollar size.

I know he has cornered the market on many coins the size of Morgans.

Bob
Blenderboy
View Profile
New user
Texas
55 Posts

Profile of Blenderboy
Hi Bob,

Well, yes, I've seen that He seems to be using a Pakastani coin in his CSB set (which I was hoping to buy, but I believe he's out of them at the moment--I'm waiting for confirmation on that). And it looks like he's using various Crowns. What I'm trying to figure out is what specific kinds of Crowns, Florins, and other coins are about the size of the Morgan. Once I know what will go with the Morgan I can search for older versions of the coin or coins that might have a more interesting pattern on the coin. The more intricate, the better.

The two coins I mentioned earlier are so much more interesting than more modern coins. They garner more interest and thus augment the effect.

One thing I would say is that while Lassen's work is clearly outstanding, I have already learned that he hasn't cornered the market on coins that go with the Morgan although he has definately found some of the more interesting ones. Still, I think it's likely that he hasn't found *all* of the more interesting ones (at least I hope not).

In any event, thanks for pitching in.
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
Please check out Jamie Schoolcraft. He has some interesting coins as well.
http://www.coingaffs.com
Justin Miller
Blenderboy
View Profile
New user
Texas
55 Posts

Profile of Blenderboy
Thanks Justin,

Yea, actually the coin set I am trying to add to was largely made by Schoolcraft. What wasn't was made by Lassen. I'm looking for more coins that I can have one or both of them to make even more cool custom gaffs with to go with this Morgan set I have.

However, I just thought it would be cool for not just me to know about stuff like this. I mean it would be great if there was a resource somewhere that showed what coins go with what other coins. I guess that's the sort of thing only a few nuts like me want to know though, eh?

Thanks again!

Scott
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coins to match the size of a Morgan (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL