The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Do you like David Blaine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13 [Next]
Bob Saget Rocks
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Bob Saget Rocks
Quote:
On 2006-03-27 16:27, Jack Bryce wrote:
I don't like or dislike him as a person as I don't know him personally, what I do like about him is that he has brought magic back to being cool and popular again, between Paul Daniels or Wayne Dobson's magic shows here in the UK and David Blaine there was nothing magical on TV, so DB gets credit for bringing magic back to the public domain.

What I don't like is that he has started a craze, and this craze is that there are a lot of young guys out there who want to be David Blaine right now, they are not interested in putting in any practice or learning the art they just want to be him. I am not saying that all the young guys who are interested in magic are like this but there are lots out there that are.

That means they usually join a local magic club and they come along for a few months to see what they can learn, they then go away and think they know everything that they need to know. The magic club doesn't see them again but they then advertise themselves as a magical entertainer and undercut most of the professional magicians in town.

As for DBs personality....what personality, Herman Munster has more personality Smile, also is there any truth in the story that Leonardo Dicaprio went to his producer and said words to this effect...I know a great magician who would look good on TV, you should interview him or talk to him.

Cue DB, he shows them a few tricks and hey presto he is given a TV show he in now famous and so it proves the old saying ....it's not what you know but who you know.

He got on T.V., because everyone (including ABC) was interested in the idea that such powerful magic could be brought to people on the street at any given moment, most of the time with no preperation as where there is a border for stage magic.

BTW, I read an article, and the executives at ABC hired him for a t.v. special back in 1997 because they saw him pull off the balducci levitation in the board room which hadn't neccesarily been seen by the general public before ever.
cardpunk1206
View Profile
New user
oregon
51 Posts

Profile of cardpunk1206
Wow that is kinda funny. I agree Bob Saget Blaine got on t.v. that automatically gives him credibility. he has to have been at least a little accomplished. He is good in my perspective.
We Need To Be Astonished. -Paul Harris
Cameron89
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Cameron89
I do like david blaine. He is skilled in the art and knows how to show it. And as for his performing style....you don't like it...so what,deal with it... it may not work for you but its working for him, every magician has there own style whether it be comedy or serious its what they as a magician and an entertainer chose to do and that's their choice....thats all I have to say

Cameron
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1227 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
He should change his name to David Plain Old Boring Guy.

I'm still in love with his invisible deck work, clearly.

A.
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
johnr733
View Profile
New user
Denver, CO
66 Posts

Profile of johnr733
No
moosemanty
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of moosemanty
Almost any of us could be as good as him if we had money like him....not talking about the gimmicked kind either.
sunnydolan
View Profile
Veteran user
Opelika, Alabama
342 Posts

Profile of sunnydolan
Quote:
On 2006-05-09 19:14, moosemanty wrote:
Almost any of us could be as good as him if we had money like him.........not talking about the gimmicked kind either

I agree, I think if just about anybody here took DB one on one in a sleight of hand competion, we would win. I never see him do anything sleight-like. He just has enough money to buy effects and say he invented them. But I do like him, becasue his stunts are amazing.
An amatuer practices untill he gets it right, a professinal practices untill he can't get it wrong.

Don't wait for oppurtunity to knock, throw open the door, grab it by the throat and drag it inside kicking and screaming.

Magically yours
Jeff Jenson
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver, Colorado
319 Posts

Profile of Jeff Jenson
I'm not to sure how I feel about him, I really don't care for his stunts that he does, there's no element of suprise or wonder behind it. I mean come on, anyone can go stand on a pole or sit in a plastic box suspened up in the air, or even live in ice or a sphere of water for 7 days. all they are is endurance stuts and nothing else but stunts, there not cool.
As for his magic, I think he is a great sleight of hand artist with cards, but he uses to many stooges on T.V. For example going up to a comlete stranger, pulling out 2 teeth and blowing them back in her mouth, come on give me a break. Or a little kid finding a snake in her bak pack, or just happening to see two people sitting there on a picnic blanket and taking an empty beer can that the guy said the drank and perform healed and sealed, I DON'T THINK SO.
I may sound a little bitter but if you say him the way I do, you would think the same thing. TO MANY STOOGES ON T.V. WHERE'S THE MAGIC THAT YOU WOULD PERFORM IN A NORMAL SITUATION!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff
Jeff Jenson
"Keep The Magic Alive"
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
My feeling is that these TV specials ARE Blaine's "normal situation". As far as I know he doesn't tour or work private parties, restaurants or trade shows, ect. I doubt he walks around cities, prisons and locker rooms performing magic in his real life. His only venue seems to be the television specials or talk shows promoting the television specials.
Jeff Jenson
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver, Colorado
319 Posts

Profile of Jeff Jenson
Of couse he's on T.V. he's got a good manager, but I agree with Randwill I've never heard of him doing any of thoses venues. If he has then he probally does effects just like all of use do. It's easy to hide behide the T.V. camera and make a switch but on stage or in the street it's not as easy to have someone hand something.

Jeff
Jeff Jenson
"Keep The Magic Alive"
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-05-09 20:35, Randwill wrote:
My feeling is that these TV specials ARE Blaine's "normal situation". As far as I know he doesn't tour or work private parties, restaurants or trade shows, ect. I doubt he walks around cities, prisons and locker rooms performing magic in his real life. His only venue seems to be the television specials or talk shows promoting the television specials.

agreed. I have never heard of him performing live anywhere except for when he is doing a stunt, otherwise it is all just reactions of people and stooges. You gotta give him credit for doing so much with this. He has surrounded himself with an amazing promotional team, and an amazing team of technical & magic advisors.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Quote:
I agree, I think if just about anybody here took DB one on one in a sleight of hand competition, we would win.

I would have to disagree, he is a master of several sleights that I have seen or haven't for that matter. David is a world class close up artist. I have studied years at this, and his mastery of several basics make my jaw drop.
The One
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of The One
Quote:
On 2006-05-09 19:20, sunnydolan wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-05-09 19:14, moosemanty wrote:
Almost any of us could be as good as him if we had money like him.........not talking about the gimmicked kind either

I agree, I think if just about anybody here took DB one on one in a sleight of hand competion, we would win.

If he hadn't made a TV special, the idea of "Street Magic" would never have occured to either of you.

You might be as good as him bu noone cares. It's not about the magic... It's about the man. Say what you want, but he is an interesting person.
I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end...
I came here...
To tell you how this is going to begin.
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Whether you LIKE Blaine or not is subjective and up for debate, but quite simply there can be no argument that HE more or less revolutionized the presentation of magic by focusing on the reaction more than the trick itself.

Now it may not of been Blaine himself who came upo with this, but his team did, his producer, consultants, whoever, it's all the same in this case. Blaine was the guy who paved the way for what most lay people consider to be current and modern magic. He has been very successful and is a marketing expert (I hate to say genius but close).

It does not really matter how hard or easy his tricks are because the perception is that he is doing things no one else can and that is all about presentation. He presents himself well.
itsreallyquiet
View Profile
New user
Bay Area CA
19 Posts

Profile of itsreallyquiet
Yeh I agree with teevtee, he put a different spin on magic, made it more about the spectators less about himself. I actually like the fact that blaine doesn't say very much, but I have to admit his monotone slow motion voice is really insincere sounding. I like his magic a lot and the fact that he takes it seriously and just lets the spectators go over what happened again in their heads and really wonder, without doing a goofy joke or something. I thinks that the paul Harris influence on surfing the moment of 'astonishment'.

I do think that his special last night was a sort of dry though. I like his endurance stunts alot, whether or not you consider them magic, but I don't think they lend themselves to t.v. format very easily. I think the average television audience has a very short attention span and two hours of hype was a bit much. it seems like I hear a lot of people say stuff like 'well anyone can sit in a box...' or 'anyone can stand on a pole'. I'm going on record saying I can hardly stand in one spot without moving or doing anything for an hour before I'm bored out of my mind... anyone who can stand on a little pillar 90 feet up for that long is impressive to me. 44 days doing absolutly NOTHING in a box? not even eating... I don't see how that isn't impressive. living submerged in water for 7 days, then being chained inside the bubble, escaping the chains plus trying to beat a world record for breath holding... what more could he do? would you like him to wear a clown nose? I certainly could not do any of his stunts.

I think hes a great performer, and no matter what we think of him, just considering the fact that there are endless posts and comments on him all over the web and even the haters cant stop talking about him... he must be doing something right.

-Chris
Trevell
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Trevell
To people that critcise Blain's "monotone" performance, don't you get it? Like it or not, that's part of the character he's created for himself. A sort of wandering shaman/mystery man. When he approaches people on the street, people don't think "oh! here's a magician!" He doesn't go into silly patter or some lame story or jokes because that's not what he's about. He plays it off as just some guy on the street that happens to have these incredible abilities. He doesn't need to show off mad skills to get this across to people. It wouldn't work for his character and it makes it more real.

That said, to the people that criticise Blain's technical skills I have one thing to say:

SIMPLE SWITCH!!!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Its all about Blaine's personality. One of RIchard Osterlind's books, I think its called the Business of Magic speaks of this very same thing. Im sure there are plenty of street magicians who could blow Blaine away with sleight etc. However, it all boils down to his persona and how he relates to his audience/fans. I guess it was CBS who caught onto this long ago after Blaine did is first cross country trip (filming) and CBS execs took note.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-05-10 04:59, Trevell wrote:
To people that critcise Blain's "monotone" performance, don't you get it? Like it or not, that's part of the character he's created for himself.

The funny thing is that most amateur magicians have always used his patter style: "here - look at this - now look" etc. Not exactly a groundbreaking style there.

I have 2 words to describe Blaine's appeal: Heroin Chic (not saying he is a user - but that "style" has been around awhile)

http://www.worldwidewords.org/turnsofphrase/tp-her1.htm
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Well he does not exactly look like a heroin user... he would need to lose about 50 pounds of muscle for that.
Binary
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Binary
Quote:
On 2006-05-10 00:22, Scott Xavier wrote:
"I agree, I think if just about anybody here took DB one on one in a sleight of hand competion, we would win."

I would have to disagree, he is a master of several sleights that I have seen or haven't for that matter. David is a world class close up artist. I have studied years at this, and his amstery of several basics make my jaw drop.

Yes, I would agree he has revolutionised how magic is presented, but he is by no means a world class close up artist.

As penn said on penn radio, from a magicians point of view, he can't do magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Do you like David Blaine? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12~13 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL