The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Up In Smoke (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

seidedennis
View Profile
New user
Denmark
97 Posts

Profile of seidedennis
Hello,

Last week my friendly mailman brought me Paul cummins DVD "Up In Smoke", which - in my honest opinion, is nothing less than superb! I realy like the underhanded stuff (there must be some psychological aspect by showing your empty palm up hand?), and I'm starting to get a real good feel for the (Rosenthal's?) back-clip. I'm working on the first routine ("Invisble Hand"), and I'm having a bit of difficulties deciding when to do the first part of the back clip; do I do it as I raise the coin (the hands are pretty low and I'm not sure wether I should raise the invisble coin to eye level, or lower?), or do I wait until the coin is at eyelevel, and the spectators eyes are focusing on the invisble hand?

Greetings from Denmark and thanks for a superb forum!

/dennis
otter606
View Profile
New user
Scotland
89 Posts

Profile of otter606
I got this DVD recently as well, I must admit I find the move very hard to do as I have long bony fingers, basically you need to doit when they're not loking at your hand! If you raise your left hand right up to their face then while your hand is just approaching the closest point to the face is a good moment as it is virtually impossible for someone not to follow something that is moving towards their face, I guess it's instinctive. Its pretty much what he explains on the DVD anyway.
HTH
seidedennis
View Profile
New user
Denmark
97 Posts

Profile of seidedennis
Hi,

when doing the first part of the back-clip, I found that applying a little more thumb-pressure on the pinkie-side of the coin, helps a lot!
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17100 Posts

Profile of joseph
This is a good one to practice while watching tv...You have to get the feel and it gets easier to do....I agree...What a great dvd!....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Aaron Moring
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
165 Posts

Profile of Aaron Moring
This video impressed me right off the bat. I only went into it looking for the knihc-a-knihc routine. If you watch the video performance several times, you can see where Paul flashes a few times. The angles are a little tricky, but if you are like me, you missed it the first time watching. The focus is left when the right does the move. Vice versa.
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Mr. Cummings describes in detail the technique used to Deep Back Clip coins in hands that have windows on the video.

If you are having trouble with that particular technique, take comfort in knowing that 90% of all the routines that utilize the Deep Back Clip on the video can be accomplished equally as easily with Tenkai/Goshman Pinch. This way, you can still learn the basic, now modified, routines while you practice and master the Deep Back Clip.
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Eric makes a very good point. The pointing action used in Invisible Coin (when you tap the right fingers with the left first finger) shades the oddly positioned pinky that accompanies the Tenkai (aka Goshman) pinch position.
otter606
View Profile
New user
Scotland
89 Posts

Profile of otter606
Yes, I try to use the Goshman pinch where possible, it seems a much more natural and quicker motion to move the coin into Goshman pinch rather than backclip, especially in the Coins Across routine - but the secret retrieval type move is easier from backclip.
Maybe I just have weird hands but there is also a way to retrieve the coin into CP
without the "knuckle pop" move which if you have long fingers is more visible than if you have short chubby fingers.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Dennis,
Once you've perfected the Invisible Coin routine you can add a second coin in classic palm to effect a transformation of the coin.

Start out with a new coin and send it back in time a hundred years, by combining the classic palm and the Kaps/Malini display with the deep back clip.
seidedennis
View Profile
New user
Denmark
97 Posts

Profile of seidedennis
Wsduncan,

Thanks for the tip - I'll have to give it a go!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Up In Smoke (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL