The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Convention or books? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

LostSoul
View Profile
Regular user
Dave
148 Posts

Profile of LostSoul
Hi Everyone,

I’m trying to figure out if I should go to SAMCON 2004 or save my money for books and DVDs. The only cost for SAMCON would be registration fee, plus what I spend there. But the money would buy 2 or 3 good books or a couple of DVDs. Being able to interact with others is invaluable, but I can always go and reread the books and rewatch videos.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave
Donnie W
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Donnie W
If I could do only one it would be books. Nothing like having the printed page to go back to and reveiw. 73 Donnie
elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
Good question Dave. Along the same lines, I have attended a few lectures that were not very "cost efficient". Would have preferred spending the same amount on a good effect, a book or a DVD. However, some lectures have been priceless: Michael Ammar, David Williamson, not to mention that I have made friends there who share my passion.

José
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
LostSoul
View Profile
Regular user
Dave
148 Posts

Profile of LostSoul
Michael Ammar is going to be one of the lecturers. I agree with Donnie having a book to go back to is very nice.

But as José stated some lectures can be priceless. Michael Ammar will be one of the 3 (or 4) lecturers and I’ve read so many good things about Michael, it would seem a shame to miss seeing him lecture. (Which is why I’m having questions.)

Thanks,
Dave
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
Michael Ammars lecture is fantastic. It is rare that you get to see such a polished magician doing such excellent material.
Magic is fun!!!
Sean
View Profile
Loyal user
No Cal
205 Posts

Profile of Sean
Go to the convention. See Ammar lecture. It's probably worth the price of admission. Hit the dealer's room to look for some discounted books and DVDs with your remaining money. Consider also that you can buy the books at any time, but how many chances will you have to spend time at a convention with other magicians?
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
You can buy books, tricks, and DVD's any time. After SamCon is gone it is gone.
Mago Gregorio
View Profile
Elite user
Paris, France
473 Posts

Profile of Mago Gregorio
Beatles or Rolling Stone ?
Vanilla or Chocolate ?

Depend on which book you plan to buy. Convention will give you the experience, the will to go further. The problem is that at the Convention you'll surely find great book and tricks dealers !

:bikes: Smile Smile
Smile Smile Smile
LostSoul
View Profile
Regular user
Dave
148 Posts

Profile of LostSoul
Thanks everyone for the advice. After getting the advice here and emailing with Tucker Goodman, I¡¦ve decided to go to the convention. Now, all I have to do is get clearance from my wife. Smile Smile

Thanks for the help,
Dave
michaelrice
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
257 Posts

Profile of michaelrice
Good choice! I think meeting other magicians is great and as for the lectures most sell lecture notes after, so you can always turn back to them.

Mike
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Look for the guy in the Cowboy hat and knee length overcoat, dressed all in black. You can't miss me, I'm 6'4 inches tall and the hat puts another two inches on me. I'd love to shake your hand.
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
Just accept that you're going to want to spend money there. Prepare to be very tough on yourself and set yourself a spending limit.
LostSoul
View Profile
Regular user
Dave
148 Posts

Profile of LostSoul
Quote:
On 2005-10-26 20:12, Foucault wrote:
Just accept that you're going to want to spend money there. Prepare to be very tough on yourself and set yourself a spending limit.

Yep, I’ll have a minimum limit, that is what you meant, right? Smile Maybe I’ll win a raffle prize and not have to spend as much (or maybe I’ll win mega millions and never worry about a limit again) (fyi, it’s at 147 million).

Thanks everyone for the advice,
Dave
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
The problem with lectures is, there is a tendency for us not to remember everything that was taught. And you still have to buy the lecture notes.

I would rather buy a DVD or a book instead but this is just me. Even when I was in school, I never learned much from hearing my teachers' lectures. I'm better off reading by myself. I just attend classes for attendance and yes I sometimes fall asleep, since I studied the night before.

And it is true that with books and DVDs, you can always review them anytime.

The plus factors of attending a convention are: you meet other magicians and probably learn more from their experiences and see new effects from different dealers.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
I would not want to be without my books, but some of the conventions that I have attended have been priceless.
I learned things there that I could go home and research.
I would probably attend and buy more books later.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
I have a plethora of books already. Personally I always enjoy going to conventions. Like the whole meeting other people thing. Most of the time I meet people and lecturers whom I've stayed in contact with. It's a good way of building up a contact sheet if you ever need additional advice, or just need to chat with another magi. Most of the people I've seen Aaron Fisher, Roth, Daryl, Spina, Levant, etc have all been more than willing to help me- outside of the convention walls. I recommend the convention. Once the snow mealts, 'ya have to wait a whole 'nother year!

Best regards,
Matt Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magicianâ„¢
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
LostSoul
View Profile
Regular user
Dave
148 Posts

Profile of LostSoul
Just thought I'd post a follow up...

The convention was great, I picked up a lot of tips from the lectures (and I won't say how much I picked up from the Dealer's Room Smile). It was the right decision to go to rather than picking up more books. I did get to meet a few magicians in the area.

Tbanks for the help,
Dave
Skeptic
View Profile
New user
Holland MI
46 Posts

Profile of Skeptic
You have books already full of stuff you never do. The convention will allow you to see many performers and what they do and how they do it(if not the methods at least the presentaion and showmanship). I have found conventions to priceless. Of course I am refering to Abbots. The fellowship and chance to see lot of magic and more importantly the magicians is great.

My $0.02 worth.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Lost Soul,
Good for you.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Convention or books? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL