The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Max Maven vs Richard Osterlind (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
479 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
Who do you prefer (material/ presentation) and why?
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2076 Posts

Profile of David Numen
I prefer Osterlind all the way.

I don't care for Max's cold persona and I always think I am watching an elaborate puzzle rather than a mind reading effect.

Whereas with Osterlind the whole gig seems more real somehow.

Same goes for material. Little doubt that Maven is a prolific creator but I can't get "puzzle" out of my head and some of it just seems to clever for it's own good.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
A to Z,
This is a tough one.
Max has been the leader in recognition. His air of mystery and his character are impossible to match. He is humorous and entertaining with an obvious since of mystery built into the character.
On the other hand, Richard looks more like the "every man" of mentalism.
He has a sharp man and a real love of teaching the craft.
I don't think that I can choose between the two, because I think that they are both great.
I cut my teeth on the color books and I still study Max.
I learn many new ways of looking at old things through new eyes with Richard.
Our art is better off because of both of these men.
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Sooty
View Profile
Regular user
London, England
140 Posts

Profile of Sooty
Phil is very intelligent but can be arrogant which is a shame as he can alienate people unintentionally. His approach to mentalism is somewhat aloof and he can come across as believing he's from a higher plane than his audience. His material is very clever but not for everyone.

Richard is a man of the people. He could perform practically anything and people would like it because of him. His material suits his performance style, others might find it hard to replicate his tricks as they're so intertwined with his personality.

Who would I rather go for a beer with? Close call but it would have to be Richard.
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1488 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
Definitely Richard Osterlind without any hesitation.
Mr Maven is so..pretentious.Maybe part of his "character" !!!
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
479 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
Knowing that some of their effects are based past mentalist effects, what effect/s make a memory for you whether Max or Richard?
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
...depends on whether one prefers the "mystic" approach or the "im just a regular guy, but heres what I do" kinda way...

they are both living legends and we, as a community, are blessed to have the chance to learn the ways of such great minds...

Maven has better hair Smile
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
To compare these two fine performers and creators, - and on the top of that attempt to analyse their personalities seems to me absolutely redicolous.
They are both great, - and different.
An audience in the real world which has seen both, is probably the only instance that maybe can say something about this that makes sense.
..- not magicians who have seen a video or two.
- and read my lips (- and mind), it is the spectators in the real world's opinions that counts.

Sven
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Tough one for me as well. I think Max Maven was my fisrt vision of a mentalist while watching WGM when I was a wee lad.
But I find Osterlind to be an incredible mentalist. So its in the air for me couldn't choose.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2076 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Quote:
To compare these two fine performers and creators, - and on the top of that attempt to analyse their personalities seems to me absolutely redicolous.

Why? People compare artists all the time so why should they be any different?

Quote:
They are both great, - and different.

Well that's your opinion and you are welcome to express it but please don't think it's a fact that everyone will agree.

Quote:
An audience in the real world which has seen both, is probably the only instance that maybe can say something about this that make sense.

I agree wholeheartedly - as far as performance is concerned, the lay-audience is the only worthwhile judge.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Gede Nibo,
You sir, are full of Bologna. Smile
Osterlind's hair is much better than Maven's.
It is this kind of gross bigotry and self absorbed comparisons that are destroying the fine art of magic.
Do you, sir, have no sense of dignity... no shame?
Rightously indignant,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
LMAO!!! hahahaha!!

NO ONE can do his hair like Maven...but in retrospect, Richards hair is cool too...

Parson Love you brother!! Thanks for all your wisdom and teachings you've given me...
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
I have to agree with Sven. I really don't see the point of this .. ?
People compare artists all the time, but people also lock themselves out of their car sometimes..
Sports is one thing, that's meant to be competitive.. art is something else.
I think it's the "vs." in the title of this thread that is so weird.

Besides, with these two, it's like comparing eggs and asteroids (don't ask me which is which, I'll never tell ).
It becomes maybe a bit like, which kind of mentalism do you prefer ?

Oh wait, I think I get it now .. Magic A to Z .. isn't that a magic shop ? LOL !
You're fishing the Café to find out which performer is better liked so you know whose books and videos to stock more of, and whose to stock less of !!
Dang, that's ballsey.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Now Parson, it can plainly be seen that Max has a better head. After all, it's not the amount of hair, but the amount of skin which determines the better head. This would make me brilliant of course. . . as for Gede, he has the good sense to cover his hair with a turban, so he's okay. . . let the silliness begin.

As for comparing them as performers? Apples and oranges.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2076 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Yes, in many ways it IS pointless to discuss which is better...and this is new how?

I think about 80% of discussions on here are similarly pointless but that doesn't stop us taking part in them.

Person A says "I'm thinking of buying A's product, is it any good?"

Person B says "I think A (or A's product) sucks"

Person C says "It's great I've used I for many years."

Person D says somethin completely irrelevant

Person E says something just to get their post-count up.

etc etc.
Josho
View Profile
Special user
Albany, New York
758 Posts

Profile of Josho
I think Richard could take Max in two rounds.

--Josh
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
Personally I would prefer Richard Osterlind.
I don't have a problem with Max Maven, I like him too.
But there was this time when I was watching a Max Maven DVD, and my (laywomen) girlfriend saw it.
And she said, "Main this guy is annoying, turn it off man"
Interesting..........
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1434 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
Apples and oranges.. I personally think Max would win a cage match thou.

Rick K
Self concept is destiny..
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
I don't know, Richard DOES carry around a lot of cutlery...those forks are REAL you know...

hopefully Maven is good at throwing cards and caculators Smile

Lastnitefun...LMAO!
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1421 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Quote:
On 2005-10-24 14:58, bartlewizard wrote:
Yes, in many ways it IS pointless to discuss which is better...and this is new how?

I think about 80% of discussions on here are similarly pointless but that doesn't stop us taking part in them.

Person A says "I'm thinking of buying A's product, is it any good?"

Person B says "I think A (or A's product) sucks"

Person C says "It's great I've used I for many years."

Person D says somethin completely irrelevant

Person E says something just to get their post-count up.

etc etc.

Yes, "The Penny For Your Thoughts" is a tough "room". It seems like the only way to break up all the edgy aggresiveness sometimes, is to throw in some very heady humor. (Like those "hair comparisons"). Smile
Now we have Richard and Max lined up for some kind of WWE wrestling show. (It's funny how there is never any tension or rowdy attitudes over in the bizarre forum !)
These "discussions" do often make for a very peculiar "Theatre of The Absurd". Smile

:devilish:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Max Maven vs Richard Osterlind (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL