The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Sleeve Pluckers Anonymous (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
LOL Dan, you mindless sleeve plucker you. What was the motivation behind your unmotivated magic? Smile
Click to visit:
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
Bill I certainly don't want to argue anything here I have my cup full in the Mickey Silver threads...

I would say though that Blaine DID poularize "Be honest, What is it". When was the last time you had read anything about that trick before Blaine did it on TV?

As for Dylan and the guitar I would argue Holly, but maybe that's your point Smile

Cheers,
JTW
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Quote:
On 2005-10-24 16:20, mike gallo wrote:
There has been a host of Mother Pluckers down the pike...

Great patterline potential there. I love coin magic. I happen to keep my coins on all the moms in the audience. Could somebody's mother please come up here and help me?
Click to visit:
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1138 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
First, I needed a "theme". So I went with the most obvious little chestnut, the Over Used Cliche Presentation.

I approached my audience, introduced myself in the Queen's English, tipped my top hat, then said, in a very stately voice, "Every cloud has a silver lining". I waited for my captivated audience' reaction.

The old lady at the table tipped her bowl of soup right into her lap at this unbelievable truism. She sat completely still, disregarding her ruined dress and waited. The old man with her, gasped at my logic, then handed me a C note to continue.

"And . . . my coat sleeves have a lining . . ." I said very slowly, so they could absorb every essense of my Presentation.

They sat, eyes wide, and waited.

"So," I continued, "then, it follows, that my coat sleeves must have SILVER in them."

The old man and woman looked at each other, mouths agape, at this Truth. The Internal Logic was irrefutable.

My right hand approached my left sleeve. Time seemed to stand still. All eyes watched, all breath was held, the stars and moon stood still in the heavens . . . as my right hand plucked a Silver Dollar from my left elbow.

The old man and woman stood instantly, knocking their table over, and began to applaud and whistle. I bowed deeply and retired to the green room.

Finally, they had seen, motivated, internally logic, Coin Magic. And it did not suck.

BASED ON A TRUE STORY
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
Mike yes you are right about that...My point is though that when Hooser first got published and then came out with his book and DVD's, we started seeing a lot of these three coin effects. Not that they didn't exist before.
The productions were similiar to Hooser (more specifically how Kenner wrote up the Hooser routines) not Roth or Slydini.
Before Kenner started publishing Hooser's stuff the production sequences were very much influenced by Slydini and Roth. They had that "feel" to them.

Seems to me that in the nineties that feel changed to something else. I attribute it to Hooser. Perhaps he only popularized the Ramsay "feel" but I have never seen Ramsay live so I can't comment on that.
Cheers,
JTW

Edited after Mr. Brewer's post
Is that routine published? Just kidding... Smile
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
JTW, The 3 coin production sequences you mention were done before Troy. Sadly, it was all done before the internet/DVD craze...so it wasn't seen in masses. Now don't mess with me...I'll get that backdoor guy to take care of ya Smile!

Mike
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Lovely logical structure, Doug, and of course, irrefutable. By the way, did you know Ray Charles is God?

BTW, I recognize your "old man" and "old lady". Their reactions give them away. They're from the L&L video audience.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Curtis, not sure... I am sure Doug would have mentioned "the old lady with the cleavage" if it was from the L&L audience.

Doug?
Click to visit:
Wesley James
View Profile
V.I.P.
Hazlet, New Jersey
372 Posts

Profile of Wesley James
Dan,
Just to add my two cents, I'm not sure it greatly matters from where one plucks, or from whom one plucks, but rather whether plucking is perceived by your audience members as magical. The answer to that question turns on how firmly persuaded they are that the hand is not the source of the object being plucked but rather it comes from the location from which the plucking takes place. Producing coins from a kid's ear is almost as much associated with magicians as producing rabbits but few people past puberty believe the coin comes from anywhere but the performer's hand. Thus, when we pluck, a fair percentage of viewers are likely to conclude that the "coin" came from our hand, as it does when it is plucked from a child's ear. Some may not accept the truth of my statement, so try asking audience members during casual conversation. That should resolve the question.

So, what can be done about the problem. For many years, in my trade show work, I loaded a "special" coin behind the tie of a spectator in the closest row. Later, when I ran out of coins to produce in my sequence, I'd make it very clear that my hand was empty, then produce it from behind his tie--I guess that makes me a plucker. This production always got a strong response, particularly from the guy whose tie was plucked. Other audience members reacted to the pluckees response.

Bottom line, I don't think the question is "to pluck or not to pluck" but rather how to be an effective plucker. If a performer can reliably get good reaction from plucking, the question is moot, s/he is going to pluck. If s/he doesn't get any reaction, many will pluck anyway, the wise will try to figure out how to change the way they pluck to make plucking pleasurable to their audiences. This has now begun to sound too suggestive, so I'll stop.

Wesley James
Tom Wolf
View Profile
Special user
Harrison, Ohio
577 Posts

Profile of Tom Wolf
Thanks Wesley.

I am still laughing.
The magic director and performer at the Rincon Gaucho supper club in Mexico City,

We opened the first and only close-up room for magic in Mexico with Wolf Ruvinskis.
have several new coin vanishes and routines to share shortly just as soon as I can find someone to film them for me.

Now living in Harrison, Ohio
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3991 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Doug, your story was great! I had a similar experience, but didn't get your reaction. After I explained that behind every cloud there is a silver lining, I showed that my jacket had a silver lining. Therefore, it was completely logical for me to produce a cloud. However, it started to rain, and the people fled the table. I'll be sure to use your idea the next time!
Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Somebody stop me...I've plucked...and I'll pluck again Smile!

Mike
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
"Much Ado about Plucking"

When it's all said and done I believe,
here's the moral for those who deceive:
you can pluck and not suck,
and suck but not pluck,
but if you pluck strangers, use a sleeve.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Boy, Make one little comment and look what happens. I think I started all this by a comment on the other thread and it was not so much about whether or who plucked, but who did it well and alas, many do not and it, as a performance theme, is getting over done to death.

Properly done, and with panache and aplomb, it can be a very effective presentation. I just don't see it happening that way very often. It is mostly a throw a way move.

Remember the old see the coin first and then take it from the air. There are a number of techniques that help demo that the hands are empty and the coins couldn't possibley come from them, so it must be magic. Search them out!

kirk
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
On 2005-10-24 16:28, JTW wrote:
Bill I certainly don't want to argue anything here I have my cup full in the Mickey Silver threads...

Now THAT'S funny!

Quote:
I would say though that Blaine DID poularize "Be honest, What is it". When was the last time you had read anything about that trick before Blaine did it on TV?

Well, if it has to be in print I guess that would be when I read Fechter.

Otherwise, when any one of a dozen of my friends did the trick.

In other words WAY before I ever heard of David Blaine.

The trick was very popular with magicians (and their audiences) well before it became popular with people who WANTED TO BE magicians. I base this, of course, on the fact that the "popular" version of the trick is both incomplete and incorrectly titled ("Two Card Monte").

But that's just MY opinion and like Dennis Miller, I could be wrong.
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
610 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic
I've plucked coins striahgt from my pocket... four at one time!!

I am not much of a coin manipulator, but sometimes when I see other magicians plucking coins and vanishing them, they do it way too fast and it is magic by confusion. If it was a little slower, it would be magic by umm... magic.

I do pluck them from behind a kid's ear at times though.
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2864 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2005-10-24 17:53, Curtis Kam wrote:
"Much Ado about Plucking"

This is great! Definitely- go with the plucking. So many possibilities. Great lines. Very entertaining. Just my very humble opinion- I'm no plucker. Smile
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
Bill I certainly agree with you.
The boards were alight with "two card monte" chatter for ages. I know I attempted on more than one occasion to set them straight, alas they were too many and I am but one man. All I know is that I directed more people to Fechter's effect than I ever have.

Now about that plucking retention pass...
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
My name is Justin and..I..well..am..a Plucker! (hello Justin) I had my first pluck when I was just a wee lad of 8. When you have your first one it is so intoxicating. I thought I could stop at just one (at least that is what I told myself). I said; "problem (pluck), I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM! (pluck,pluck).
Then it got worse, I started plucking everything, not just coins (you know the gateway prop) but sponge balls, cards, lighters, you name it if it could fit in my hand (hidden of course) I would PLUCK IT! Then it happened. I mean I was so wrapped up in the plucking that I did not realize who was watching..my best friend one night, while I was in the middle of plucking a pepsi can from someones shoulder ( I have BIG hands) spotted the can in my hand. He yelled out "hey why do you have a pepsi can in your hand"...and that is all it took! The spectator was so starteled that she yelled and screamed...then sadly ran away. I KNEW then...I had a problem!
But I am happy to say I am two days clean as I speak. Its been hard, but I know if I just stay away from Mr. Nelson, and J.B..I will be fine. Thank you for listening,..."wait, is that a coin in your sleeve sir?"

I LOVE TO PLUCK..tell you why later.
Justin Miller
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I know people that use butt magnets and shimmed coins, usually the butt pluck is done when no one is looking. The secret is to hide that one...
Click to visit:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Sleeve Pluckers Anonymous (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL