The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Who is this magician with Dick Cavett? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
I have an old film clip of a segment with Dick Cavett and a fat magician with a heavy accent (New York? New Jersey?) and dressed in a black tux (I think). Cavett and this guy sit down at a round table (Dick is on this guy's right) and there then proceeds to be a 3-card monte discussion and demonstration. Cavett even gets into the act and performs a brief move whereby he shows no queen and (supposedly) three black cards.

Does anyone know the name of this magician? Thanks for the info.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I'm going to hazard a guess and say it could be Frank Garcia.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Gary Dayton
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
542 Posts

Profile of Gary Dayton
That would be my guess, too
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Sorry, guys. This is definitely NOT Frank Garcia.

I have a tape of the Frank Garcia on the Dick Cavett Show. That appearance lasted the entire 30 minutes and involved the "Phantom" (the young black hustler who did the 3-card monte on the streets of New York City).

The 5 minute segment I am referring to involves an entirely different set. If Dick Cavett ever filled in for Johnny Carson, this might be a short guest appearance on that show by this fat magician. The curtain background looks like a curtain set Johnny Carson went to after he changed cuttains from the vertical multi-colored set.

The accent of this guy reminds me of New York or Chicago, etc. The guys demeanor is very brusk yet he has a twinkle in his eye and seems to have a sense of humor. I would suspect that this guy is an "inside" magician-very well known to the insiders but not much exposure to the general public.

Any other ideas? Has anyone out there (besides me) seen this TV segment and know who this guy is? Pete Biro, where are you when I really need you? (grin)

Thanks for any info.

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Based on this website, it could be Chris Michaels:

http://www.dovemagic.com/Videos/
CHRIS MichaelS on Tonight Show DICK CAVETT- 3 card monte

Some info, including a description of Chris can be found here:
http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/u......t=002234

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Nice work Jim, maybe you got it.

Turk, the best thing to do is send me the tape. I'll evaluate it for you. LOL

Vandy
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Eureka!!! Mystery solved!! Thanks, Jim. It looks like it is Chris Michaels on the Tonight Show on 8/26/82 (with Dick Cavett filling is as guest host). How the heck you knew this is beyond me. It was a brief 5 minute item on tape # 43!

Thanks for clearing up this mystery for me. And, in checking your other link I also learned that Chris Michaels passed away at the Magic Castle between sets. He was resting in a chair waiting for his next set and the staff found him dead in a chair. What a way to go!!

Mike

Quote:
On 2005-10-25 12:53, Vandy Grift wrote:
Nice work Jim, maybe you got it.

Turk, the best thing to do is send me the tape. I'll evaluate it for you. LOL

Vandy

Vandy, LOL. Actually, I am in the process of converting all of my old magic tapes over to DVDs and I wanted to be able to accurately refer to this magician. I'm glad the mystery has finally been solved. I knew that some Café member would know the answer. What a great resource.

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Glad you got your answer. It cool to see a mystery solved and someone actually get the help the asked for, so quickly.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
[quote]
And, in checking your other link I also learned that Chris Michaels passed away at the Magic Castle between sets. He was resting in a chair waiting for his next set and the staff found him dead in a chair. What a way to go!!

I've seen many performers die at the Castle.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Who is this magician with Dick Cavett? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL