The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Cruise income question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20554 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Actually I wasn't cut back so have no fear for me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
diamond
View Profile
Regular user
Serbia & Montenegro
200 Posts

Profile of diamond
Quote:
On 2005-10-28 21:46, icentertainment wrote:
Somehow I think that If a performer beat people up- he would have a little accident at night esspecially from the the cruise ship team.

Yeah, you are absolutely right about this, fights are a big no-nos on cruise ships, especially in a company I worked for. But the thing is that this guy simply had a very special agreement with the company and he was a featured superstar of that company (although he was in fact just a circus performer with a huuuuuuuuge show). Not only that the security onboard would not react when this guy would beat someone, but the beaten up sound & lights guys got a written warning from the management because they have upset the stars. I mean, the guy has really become a legend of the company (more like an evl sorcerer). He didn't get along with anyone there, but the weirdest thing of all was the fact that he has worked for them for 2 years in a row, plus a year or two in a big land based resort that is run by the cruise line, and the entertainment managers of the company are so sad that he doesn't work for them any more.

Btw, there was an outbreak of a disease in that part of the world and they had to evacuate the guy and his animals to the smaller ship (otherwise his animals would have to undergo a heavy and long quarantine). I happened to be working on that ship (after him, not at the same time). He did the same bad things there too. He terrorized everyone. One of the stories was told to me by one of the officers. He (the officer) was swimming in the pool when he noticed something flew over him (and the pool) like a rocket. It was a tiger. The poor thing got on the lose and ran out of his cage (as it turns out, fortunately it was just a curious animal). The tiger literally jumped over the pool and the officer! The officer was in a deep shock, fortunately he managed to grab his walkie talkie and call "Mr skylight" or whatever the call for a run away tiger emergency would be. Soon all the crew went for a tiger hunt in a drill like manner (fortunately there were no passengers at the time onboard as the disembarkation has just ended and the embarkation would start only in a few hours). The "evil sorcerer" was on a shore leave, so I think the safety department or the security guys (those little funny and smiling Yoda like creatures from Nepal that you get to see on many ships are in fact ex Gurkas - elite force members from the British army and they can be very dangerous when they want to - I'm sure they'd go for a tiger barehanded if they were ordered to). Anyway, the tiger ended up in his cage again, and I have no idea if the "evil sorcerer" had punished anyone for making his pet kitten nervous.

Regarding the Cirque style shows, I saw several onboard and they were truly amazing. They even had an opera singer on the stage with Chinese acrobats and all that. To me it looked nice and different, but again, my taste is very much different from a taste of an average cruise passenger, actually I'm sure that an average passenger would fall asleep. A typical cruise passenger is a senior citizen with a life which is depressive enough (do you know that many old people take cruises hoping that they would die onboard watching the sea and the Carribean or so). A typical passenger (old or younger) needs something that will make them laugh and enjoy in the first place and something moving, charizmatic and energetic that will bring them energy back. They are not too much into ritzy glitzy production shows, as a matter of fact, the passengers mostly hate the production shows (they never understand what all the running around in glamorous costumes that dancers do is all about). For some reason cruise lines insist on these shows and invest more and more money into them, making them even more ridicullous. Fortunately, when I was working for that cruise line, they had policy of puting magicians into the production show and shows put together in that way were very appreciated. The dancers would dance and smoothly the dance routing would blend into the magic routine (the transitions were a piece of art thanks to the very talented producer/choreographer team), then upon the end of magic it would blend into the dance routine again, and so on. We had like 3-4 spots of 5-10 minutes in each production show, and this formula worked very well, I think with transitions very nicely staged the dancers added to the magic and the magic added to the choreography a lot. Magic brought a lot of interaction with audience and comedy (something that dance routines didn't have), and dancers have brought fantastic dramatic presentation to the illusions (they would dance an intro in the style of a cwertain illusion plus they were mostly the ones to bring the illusions and props in and out, not the stage hands, so it would add to the story of a certain illuison a lot). I just loved this concept. When they did another show with Cirque style artists however, it just didn't that kind of a charisma (the production show featuring us as headline entertainers was always a full house, while the Cirque style show was half empty and passengers would sleep during it). I also had chance to work on the vessels where I would perform my own show (either the illusion show or a cabaret show), and I was amazed that there would always be a bigger interest for the magic show than for the production show. They tended to put me into smaller showlounges first, but when I asked the cruise director to advertize the show propperly they had a big problem when they found out that the small showlounge wasn't big enough for all the people. They transfered the show to the main showlounge later on, but the management were sort of jealous on how I get such big crowds for my shows whereas the interest was much lower for the production shows (cause in that case I wasn't the part of the productions LOL).

They have some special rules in cruise lines, the rules that make no sense at all, we will never know why and how theirentertainment concepts work, but I hope that there will be a big return of a magician as the main headliner into the cruise entertainment industry instead of all those experiments they are doing nowadays.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Cruise income question (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL